Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#225806 01/05/07 09:20 PM
A
A
I know it was around in"78" But I don't know when it first appered. Sorry.

A
A
Anyhow, to get back to the story...

I really loved working for Milo. It wasn't for long. I guess the powers that be SPHS descided I needed to concentrate more on my studys. I probably would have worked for Milo for free, but don't tell him that.

It was about mid-spring 1977 and I had been attending school at S.P.H.S. for about three weeks at that point in time. I was having a little trouble adjusting from school in Riverside Ca. to a totaly different system. Much more disciplin, very strict.

We had to wear uniforms for one thing. It too my Dad a while to get them for my brother and I. Angel Nunez was the Principal and taught several classes. I remember the first encounter we had was over those stupid uniforms. I felt it wasn't me fault it was taking so long for the to be made. But apperantly Teacher Angel disagreed. Let's just say I can tell you folks about a little rope he used to carry in his pocket, as one of his disciplinary measures.

He had another. Actually the little rope was a joke. The first time he hit me with it, I just about laughed. I wasn't sure if I admired his nerve, or it was the stress created by my suppressing the urge to knock his teeth down his throut. Any way I also spent the weekend cutting back the brush with a machete, and If I didn,t have any respect for Mr. Nunez then, I did by monday morning.

There were a few more clashes with teacher Angel. I did my best to escape from what I called San Pedro Penitentary, But I keep coming back for more, I guess I was just a glutton for
punishment.

At Least I had plenty of Summer and Spring Breaks to break up the monotony. I'll get to those tales later...

A
A
Mario was a year my senior. After meeting him and seeing how he and his family lived, I felt lucky I was even able to attend thier prestigous acadamy. Mario's father was a fisherman as was his uncle who also lived in the household. Mario's grandmother also contributed what she could.

I can recall many ocasions see her carrying a gunny sack full of coconuts home. She would grate the coconut meat, squeeze the milk out through cheesecloth. In a large couldron over a smoldering pile of coconut husks, she would seperate the oil from the cream and the creaam from the milk. It all would be sold to the local resturants or stores, except for a small portion of the milk. That would be used to cook into the rice for the families dinner.

Mom would take in some laundry and do most of the cooking. As they couldn't afford fish, chicken would be about the best they would have. All the fish would have to be sold to the local Co-Operative so they could have enough money just to pay the rent.

They had absolutely nothing. A small AM Radio was the only luxery they could afford. They had no running water and had to use the outhouse in the embarcadero. Uncle would get drinking water from the rainwater vat next to our house.

Mario's little brother and sister went to the Elementary school in San Pedro, but no tuition was required. Mario told me that if it wasn't for his sponsor from the Christians Childrens fund, he probably wouldn't be able to go to High School. His uniforms and tuition were covered, but he had to come up with the money for his supplies. He worked at one of the lacal gift shops polishing jewlery for a few dollars.

What impressed me the most about Mario and his family was how happy they were. They had so little, but there was so much love, they had everything they needed..

A
A
Being a protectorate of the British, Belize is host to many military personel. In the late 70's the Brits used to do their survival training on A.C. They also had a house that was rented by the Army, and contract with Balis, a San Pedrano fisherman whose sailboat and expertise was at their disposal. Tony, a Senior Master Sergent was permanatly assigned to tend the house while the troops where out on their activities.

Tony was a kind gentelman who always had some candy for the children whenever they would come around begging for a treat.
After the children would disappear with their sweets, Tony would often split a chocolate bar with me and tell me how fortunate he felt getting an assignment like this. He was invited to dinner often in our house, where he would tell stories of his childhood and life in England.

On many occasions, Balis would invite me on trips out to differant spots along the reef and up the coastline to drop off the troops for their survival training. I would always give them a bad time when they come back with really bad sun-burns. I told them they where going to get court-martialed for damaging government property.

We always had a good time and I learned alot from Balis about the area, sailing, spearfishing, etc. He showed me where all the good spots were and about the habits of the marine life.

Well, there was that one occasion where the Brits ran his boat up onto the reef, but thats another story.....

Last edited by Alan Bodolay; 01/21/07 05:26 PM.
Alan,

Thanks for some insight of the past. I had a chance to visit / dive Belize many years ago, but passed due to $$$, now I see I really lost out.

Please continue

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
Mervino - I thoroughly enjoyed your site. Someone said it could be a book - I agree! There are some branches you ventured into that still need fleshing out. I know it has been almost 2 years since you posted this but wanted to tell you that you really shouldn't ignore your site. From what I could see, you had not updated since 2004. I also wanted to "tip my hat" to you for your discretion regarding names however - what happened to Mike and what about Bob? Not knowing more than what you "sketched" - I must say your wife probably deserves sainthood!

Hon Offline
Unfortunately Mervino passed away not too long ago.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Hon #243630 07/25/07 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear that. I deduced he was probably born in the '30s or early '40s. Too bad he never finished his 'book' - bet it would've been an interesting read even though he was only actually living in Belize - what 3 years?

i love this webpage.... 1959 aerial pic of downtown san pedro, with descriptions by allan forman and mervino...... been chatting with iguana jack today about the old days... this page came up in the discussion and i thought i'd reshare it...

//ambergriscaye.com/mervino/window/BB/1959sp-l.html

very cool, 1st look.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.