Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
there isn't enough money in the world to pay me to be a doctor. I admire & respect the majority of them, and wouldn't take on that responsibility for anything. They spend years in training, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for that training (unless, of course, they are a minority...), then they carry thousands of dollars for the CYA 'cause they're gonna get sued.
I see doctors every year deal with law suits that they paid out on, not because of fault, but to settle out of court more cheaply than to go to court & win/being found not responsible for any fault. We have many problems with many systems.

when in doubt...do without
S
OP Offline
S
I hear ya, but I guess the qualifying phrase is "first world countries". It would make more sense to compare the US with France, UK and Canada then Belize and Mexico. Although Belize does what they can with their version of socialized medicine (NHI) for the poor. Most with means pay for their medical needs.

Funny how malpractice insurance and health insurance seem be contributing factors. Dad always said, Insurace Companies and Banks are legal rackets. I imagine the doctors and hospitals are those responsible for pro bono care not the insurance giants.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Again, my wife is in the health care biz, and she says it is very common for insurance companies to pay a set fee for a procedure, and the set fee is less than it costs the provider to provide this. They write off the balance. It is all about the bucks and juggling numbers, like everything else.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
and ditto on the malpractice lawsuits settled out of court because it's cheaper than going to court and winning. No wonder lawyers get a bad rep, some of them deserve it.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
S
OP Offline
S
So the moral to the story is: Stay Healthy!!!! Rum & Coke anyone?

because we're the 1st world country across the street from Mexico, I mention them. Their people abuse us & laugh at the fact that they can. I know US citizens living in Belize who have had medical procedures performed in Belize - for cash, only. One is making minimum monies, 'poverty level'. I don't blame insurance companies or doctors here. I believe most frequently they're just trying to recoup where they can. I blame the people that abuse the system, send debt through the roof & don't contribute to the economy.

Call me what you like, but I consider myself a member of the human nation. There is enough wealth in the world to make sure that everyone has access to health care, clean water, food and education. Personally as a member of the human nation, I feel that all human beings are someone's child, parent, brother, sister etc and that we all have a duty to do everything we can as individuals and collectively to try to address these fundamental inequalities in this world.

It's no one's fault that they had the bad luck to be born the wrong colour skin and on the wrong side of the border. Personally, I think it is dreadful the way first worlders have a such a sense of entitlement while forgetting that the comfort, freedom and wealth they enjoy was built and continues to be built by the blood, sweat and tears of the third world.

If any of you are really interested in health care and the third world, please read Mountains Beyond Mountains:The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder. Dr. Farmer is a lesson to us all about how much we actually can do to make a difference.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

S
OP Offline
S
Darn, my in-laws are up to no good again! Told em' not to go up there and ruin the US economy!

Many are born into poverty, don't expect any handouts. go to college while working jobs & spend 10 years repaying those loans. And that's just because they want a better life.
The entitlement problem is not of the wealthy, it's that of the 'underpriviledged', 'poor' 'minority' that believes they 'need' to be taken care of indefinitely. Assistance programs are in place as a stepping stone and temporary, not a way of life. Some get a grip, some wallow in it. Problem pegged.
they also walk 3 miles thru blizzards, barefoot, daily, to get to school...

I think your idea of poverty and my idea are different desert rat. When I think of poverty I think of people who don't even know what a University is because they are too busy dying of tuberculosis, trying to find clean water to drink that day, trying to not have any more of their family killed that week by the current military junta etc etc.. Loans are not an option for these people. The very basics, as I said are healthcare, food, water and education. University and loans don't even factor into that. You seem to assume that everyone in the wold has access to things like University and loans and that in itself highlights the problem. For you to think that the underpriveleged poor are a minority is really quite sad. It sounds to me like you have no real global understanding of poverty and have no idea what real poverty actually is.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.