Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#243620 07/25/07 03:20 PM
OP Offline
Any nuisances insects or pests that are particularly bad at the end of March / beginning of April?

Recommendations for preparedness? We'll have a 2.5 year old son and a newborn (2 month old) baby with us. Reading from other posts, repellant with DEET and baby oil are musts.

Any jellies or such in the water at this time of year to be aware of?

OP Offline
?

S
S
Shouldn't be using DEET on a newborn or an infant. Try Skin so Soft or other non-DEET products.

Pica Pica can show up at that time of the year but is dependent on tides and winds so you'll have to check with (or look for rashes on) your guides to know for sure.

Sand flies (baby oil) are usually not a problem at that time of year.

Ditto Simon. The jury is still out on long term affects of DEET on those with vulnerable or evolving immune systems. My father did missionary work in Africa and saw some weird medical conditions appear put of the blue when Westerners started advocating DEET for even the very youngest. Net-net, lives were probably saved, but you are a relatively well-off Westerner -- no need for the risk.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
S
S
I spent a lot of time in the woods of Canada throughout my life and now can only use DEET as a last resort, usually only a shot on the ankles. If I use it heavily now my body temp escalates quickly and puts me down for any kind of physical activity other than hoisting a Belikin.

Skin -so-soft lotion is highly recommended for an infant to keep off flies.

I use to use it on my kids when they were little.

Well, I still use it on my daughter now and she is 7yrs old.

OP Offline
"Shouldn't be using DEET on a newborn or an infant. Try Skin so Soft or other non-DEET products."

Of course not. ;o) We currently use Skin so Soft on our son. Seems to work well up here in the land of mosquitos large enough to carry away pets and small children. LOL! (Manitoba, Canada).

C
C
Bugs,skeeters and the like come with the rain or should I say after the rain. If you are staying on the beach the winds keep them away and it will be windy season. Baby oil under your suit will protect you from pica pica as they slide around and cant sting, they sting you under your suit when they get trapped so unless you know your guide intimatly you wont be able to see a rash.Unless you know what to look for you probably wont see them in the water. Baby oil also does the same for sand flies as the cant get a grip on you. Actually any oil, I have used cooking oil in a pinch.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
J
J
Being a peds nurse I field loads of questions about DEET and children. Personally I use it as little as possible. That said, the American Academy of Pediatrics says 10% DEET is ok on infants from two months to two years. I can't imagine putting that stuff on a small infant. Yuk.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.