Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Residency Rules? #244946
08/13/07 02:48 PM
08/13/07 02:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 11
speedpro50 Offline OP
speedpro50  Offline OP
I am looking to spend several months in Belize in a short term rental property (still searching), but do not want to stay to where they consider me a resident. Do you know where I can find out information on this issue? I am a US citizen and just don't want to be double taxed basically. Any help is appreciated!

Re: Residency Rules? [Re: speedpro50] #244948
08/13/07 03:00 PM
08/13/07 03:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5
helper Offline
helper  Offline
You are not taxed on income from outside Belize.
You get a visa stamped in your passport upon entry into the country. It is good for 30 days. When that is about to run out you go to immigration and apply for an extension. This stamp will cost you $25US and will be good for another 30 days. You get this every 30 days for up to 6 months. With this stamp you may not do work in Belize but you are okay to stay.

Re: Residency Rules? [Re: speedpro50] #244949
08/13/07 03:02 PM
08/13/07 03:02 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,208
san pedro, Belize
collyk Offline
collyk  Offline
All you need to do is present yourself at immigration once a month for the extension of your tourist visa. This will cost 50BZD a month until you have been here six months from the time of last leaving the country. If you do a full six month stretch without leaving, your monthly stamp as a tourist will increase to 100BZD a month. Don't forget and don't be late. They can take it pretty seriously. Immigration for extensions is open from 1 - 4pm Mon to Fri. The office is above Island Perk, which is across the road from Fidos. Both of these are well known land marks and right in the centre of town.
Belize Wedding Photography

Re: Residency Rules? [Re: collyk] #244952
08/13/07 03:14 PM
08/13/07 03:14 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 11
speedpro50 Offline OP
speedpro50  Offline OP
Perfect - very helpful and what I needed to know. Now I just need to figure out where to get a rental property to stay in at San Pedro for 6 months...any ideas?

Re: Residency Rules? [Re: speedpro50] #244957
08/13/07 04:10 PM
08/13/07 04:10 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,822
South Ambergris Caye
JZB Offline
JZB  Offline
6 months is considered long term. Try B-Lease, Caye Management, or the classifieds (on line). Less than 6 months is considered short term (vacation rentals) and you are required to pay a hotel tax of 9%.

Re: Residency Rules? [Re: JZB] #246939
08/22/07 02:10 AM
08/22/07 02:10 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 4,262
St Louis, Mo., USA/San Pedro
Laguna Punta Offline
Laguna Punta  Offline
My friend Arne at Caldwell-Banker may have a long term on the Lagoon side.

Gone fishing!!
Re: Residency Rules? [Re: speedpro50] #250452
09/22/07 09:15 AM
09/22/07 09:15 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 9
Zander Offline
Zander  Offline
Have you found a rental property for your 6 months stay? I have a condo available in Reef Village for long term rental if you are interested.


Re: Residency Rules? [Re: Zander] #252287
10/08/07 10:33 PM
10/08/07 10:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 30
Jersey Shore
C.C. Offline
C.C.  Offline
zander, do you still have that long term rental?

Gonna make a memory
Re: Residency Rules? [Re: C.C.] #257516
11/23/07 09:47 AM
11/23/07 09:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 24
east coast usa
subtropics Offline
subtropics  Offline
hello everyone,
one, could anyone come to belize as a volunteer, if so do they provide accomodations. whould airfair be included?

Re: Residency Rules? [Re: subtropics] #257517
11/23/07 09:52 AM
11/23/07 09:52 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,479
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
Only the organization that you volunteer for would be able to answer the accomodations and airfare questions. You would need to have a volunteer work permit as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do
Specials & Events
SPTB Calendar of Events

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
Cayo Event Calendar

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We handle all aspects of the purchase of your Real Estate in Belize. From in depth property searches to your final closing.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 87 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021 HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1