Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24549 08/21/00 11:58 AM
H
OP Offline
H
What exactly is Punta dancing? I have heard of it from someone who travelled to Ambergris Caye, but I am unclear on what it is. I have not found any info on this message board regarding punta dancing, but I hear it is very sensual! I will be in A/C
9-1 for the first time! I have obtained so much info from this message board and love reading it everday!

#24550 08/21/00 12:37 PM
Yes!!! It is very sensual. and fun. and exciting. and exhilarating. and very freeing. It sort of has an African flavor to it, and a Jaimaican beat. Punta music is very popular in Belize. If I had to compare it to something I would have to say Reggae music. Are you familiar with Bob Marley??? My husband normally won't dance with me in public. But the music was intoxicating enough to lure him out on the dancefloor. The rastas that frequent the nightclubs seem to like it a lot. It's almost like belly dancing which works it's way into almost a trance like state of joy. (I'm having difficulty describing it accurately, and I'm sure you'll get some varying opinions) My husbands comment upon observing the locals was "pure joy from the tip of their heads to the tips of their toes." After listening for a while you can't help yourself!!! Have fun. We brought two CD's home!
Debbie

#24551 08/21/00 01:32 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks Debbie! I can hardly wait to give it a try! I have a special someone who will also give it a try with me! Do the men dance the same way?

#24552 08/21/00 02:35 PM
HolleyinColorado,
Yes, the men I saw do dance the same way. The couple dances quite seductively around eachother, and your kind of go with what your partner comes up with. It's very free form. Once my husband and I got the hang of it, a local black woman with beaded hair asked my husband to dance. He had a wonderful time, and she helped him "perfect" the dance. Then an older Rasta fellow asked me to dance and we all had a blast!!!! "Wild abandon" would be the way I would define it.
I stand to be corrected here, but there is a local culture in Belize called the Garifuna people. They are decendants of marooned, and escaped African slaves. They have a VERY distinct culture, their own language, art and way of life. Garifuna is spoken by some in San Pedro, and some live there. Check out their history on the internet. I think you will find it fascinating. If I were to guess, I would say that Punta dancing came from this very unique culture. But like I said.... I could be wrong.... Any comment or further information out there???
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 08-21-2000).]

#24553 08/22/00 05:25 PM
H
OP Offline
H
WOW! Sounds like alot of fun! Where did you and your husband go when you experienced the punta dance? What other places in San Pedro have good punta music and dancing? Thanks so much for all your detailed info! I can't wait to go!

[This message has been edited by HolleyinColorado (edited 08-22-2000).]

#24554 08/23/00 09:20 AM
We were at a very nice club/restuarant called Fido's. (Pronounced FEEdoughs) They have live music at night, and the band we saw was from Belize City. It's right on the beach. The food is pretty good as well. I liked the location becuase when the dancefloor got to crowded and you got to hot, you could go down the back steps and dance in the sand. Heavenly.......

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.