Graniel at the San Pedro Town Council.
let us together work in solving this
problem that is effecting our town
and tourism industry.

San Pedro Town Council, sptb@btl.net
San Pedro Sun, sanpdrosun@btl.net
Ambergris Today, ambertoday@btl.net

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-24-2000).]

I noticed the improvement of traffic flow, and safety, since San Pedro has one way streets. When walking we learned to walk in a straight line quickly, no zig zagging because you can not hear the golf carts, bicycles coming up behind you.
Can't you just see a monorail running a loop around Ambergris. (Disneyworld/land)

Dare To Deviate
Marty,
I hate to do anything to besmirch our wonderful island..we just returned last night from 11 days..and the traffic is worse than ever. We have been going for many years and this topic is on everyone's mind, except of course the island "drivers". The trucks and private vehicles have become extremely aggressive, something we had not seen before. The taxis are a little better.

Nothing will change until the traffic control officers begin to bite the bullet and ticket and fine their relatives. (Something we can't see happening soon.) There is a road across the back from Caribbean Depot towards the airport...putting the dump trucks, flat beds, etc. back there would be a good start. There was some talk among the residents that not much will change until the gov. officials from BZ City come over and take a look at the mess and make something positive happen. (Once again don't everyone hold their breath)
I don't how you saw it a few weeks ago, but we felt unsafe on the roads for the first time the last two weeks.

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-24-2000).]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
I never felt unsafe, but i certainly notice that the number of vehicles continues to increase.....

We used that back road quite a bit this time.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-24-2000).]

J
J
Marty...my husband and I were slightyly upset over the traffic when we visited last year since I got hit by a car swerving to avoid a bicycle. (Nothing serious.) This year we are returning for two weeks and are up in the air as to whether or not we will use the bicycles provided us with our rental unit. As a tourist I can only say that the traffic does take some getting used to!

Jerrico,

If you thought it was bad last year just wait until this year. There is a reason that the town board is looking for input, principle among the reasons is that it is darn near out of control. We had never seen AGGRESSIVE drivers before this last trip. My child bride and I have agreed that in October we will walk the beach side to town, or use taxis. There was also a vehicle related tragedy on Middle Street a few weeks back (probably during the time that you were there, Marty.)

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-25-2000).]

J
J
choochoo....I agree with you about the beach walking routine. We did that all the time, built up the old calf muscles and avoided being run down! It really is a problem and the width of the streets doesn't help. I personally think they should adopt the Bermuda remedy and only allow bikes and golf carts. After all, how big is the place!!!!

Has anyone told the chief about the "quota system" used in the US for traffic enforcement. Couldn't ya just imagine a radar trap behind every palm tree. Better yet, issue everyone a radar gun and a ticket book upon arrival at the island. I'm sure the tourist industry in San Pedro could do wonders with this one. Hell, throw in a badge for good measure and a spiffy bobby hat. I kind of think the tourist could do a better job of enforcing the traffic laws than the police anyway. This would bring a new meaning to the world of Tourist Police.

Gone fishing!!
Bill,
I assume you are refering to the latest gig..the "Tourism Police", checking the guides and dive shops for the right papers. Beautiful! (How 'bout the Tourism Policeman who got into that little intoxicated struggle outside the Bare Foot Iguana with another drunken customer last week? Gives new meaning to "Crowd Control" San Pedro style..they watch too much TV from LA.)

Radar guns would be good, if the Tourism Police (see above) had had one he would have just sterilized the other guy, not removed "anything". Can they read as slow as the "posted" limits 10 or 15 mph.
Please take note that under every speed limit sign is a town board endorsed religious tenet. IT'S NOT HELPING THEM SLOW DOWN! They can't read the damn thing when they careeing around the corner , brake pedal finished, flat to the floor.

Woody's newest two "Sleeping Policeman" are good, but the bigger trucks just blow over them and make a joke of trying to loosen them up. The ropes are so damn big that we literally had to give the cart a shove to get over them twice. We saw two cars sittings there during the week with flats from hitting those big 'ol ropes so hard. That was pretty funny.

Traffic on this island truly is a problem!! Not only are we overloaded with drivers that appear not to have an ounce of driving knowledge or common sense....but the pollution from the exhausts of run-down, poorly maintained trucks is getting out of hand. I was behind one this morning on my way to work and I literally had to pull off the road and let him go on ahead. I thought I was leaving all that smog behind in the states! Too bad they couldn't rig the trucks to burn Malathion....then they could work and kill the mosquitoes at the same time! Hmmmm? [Linked Image]
With the growth and construction that is going on right now....I understand the need for heavy vehicles to move the supplies. I just wish there was a better way for them to move around in town so they don't clog up the traffic flow and make unGodly noise and pollution. It is true the police do absolutely nothing to control speeding violations...or any other for that matter. Until they do....drivers will continue to drive exactly how they are right now...why change? That is the area that needs to be improved. It's time for the police force to recognize the problem and do their part in helping to maintain safe streets.
IT'S THEIR JOB!! Make sure you mention that to the Town Board when you write.

Travel Club Resorts International http://www.travelclub.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.