Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DrKevbo Offline OP
OP Offline
D
A couple of friends and I are going to be in AC for the first time the last week of Sept. We are there to Dive and recoup from working to hard. We are experienced divers,I try and do 3 to 4 tropical trips a year. but this is our first trip to Belize. Any recomendations on how to maximize our expeience. What should we be doing and with who.Is the Blue hole all its said to be in the books or a waste? also, How is the night diving. We are staying at the Belizean Shores( Kathleen was very helpful). Baring any other recommendations we will probably dive with the shop associated with the Belizean Shores. We all prefer a layed back trip with a good vibe and friendly people. So far the best we have found has to be Bonaire. We have heard good things about Belize and looking forward to the diving and meeting some good people.

Mahalo
Kevin

I love the Blue Hole trip (with Amigos del Mar). It's a long day, but always worth it to me. Keep in mind, whether the Blue Hole thrills you as it does me, or leaves you cold as it does some, there are two other fabulous Atoll dives as follow ups and lunch on an idyllic island. No matter where you stand, it's a pretty fantastic way to spend a day.

I go out to the Blue Hole on almost every one of my trips to Belize. Sometimes I go twice on the same trip, depending on the length of my stay. So far, every time, I've come out of the water after that dive saying again, again, I want to do it again!

The Blue Hole dive is not a "reef pretty dive". It is a bit dark, can be a bit murky, and due to the depth is a shorter dive BUT the stalactite formations are magnificent! Consider just the geologic history of the Hole, and from a diving perspective . . . you'll be diving where Jacque Cousteau went before you! And then too, there's the sharks!! Woohoo

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
The local diving is also excellent. Night dives are customarily held in shallow (28') water inside the reef at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, but if you're experienced night divers and conditions are favourable ask to night dive outside the reef at "normal" dive sites - it's magical.

As well as the BH day there is another day trip done from here - to the Elbow at the south end of Turneffe Atoll. Three wall dives instead of the two on the BH day and considerably cheaper, but for me the wall dives are not as good as the two you'll get after the BH.

The BH dive itself is controversial, and you'll find as many people who say it's not worthwhile as those who love it. I'm in the first camp - it's virtually a bounce to around 145', with a total dive time of less than 30 minutes. As a technical dive lasting at least double that time it's fun. It's usually done early in the morning so it's also pretty gloomy down there. To get a good range of opinions search on it on Scubaboard.

I agree that the follow-up dives on the Blue Hole day trip are better than the wall dives on the Elbow. That maybe another reason that I keep doing the Blue Hole day trips. I love Halfmoon Caye for lunch and its wall.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
A
Blue Hole is a LONG ride and pricy. a windy day makes for a rough ride. I'd go with Amigo Del Mar because of their 48' boat.

Since you are staying at Belizean Shores wait until you get here to make your diving decisions. Billy Leslie is now an instructor there and has years of experience here in Belize. Besides being a good diver he is a wonderful story teller.
I only do the Blue Hole when I have company that wants to do it. Yes, the other two dives at Lighthouse Atoll are better than the Blue Hole.
There are some good dives at Turneffe I especially like the ones on the north end of the island but few operators tend to go there. So many people come here with preconceived notions (based on what a friend said) and request the same sites over and over.
Take your time and talk to your operator. Tell them what kind of diving you want to do. Many people are hot doggers and just want to cover a lot of territory. I'm a photographer and want to explore the nooks and crannies for different stuff. I'm often left behind but I get good pictures! LOL

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.