Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello People
Last Saturday a scantilly clad band of local residents and business persons, met and within under two hours, transformed the block from the Five a Side Field to the lagoon. People bagged and raked and shoveled and piled. Trucks came and loaded it all and hauled it away. Tammy has begun a campaign that bennifits everyone. The first thing Tourists see is trash. After being here a while you get use to some of it. If you've complained or been offended and wondered why nobody does something, then this notice is for you.

Well the plan has many facets from ticketing and trash enclosures keeping the dogs out to clean up days and educational programs. Tammy asked me to pass this on so you all could get involved. And here I quote.

OH MY GOSH! Thank you so much!

Okay SO!!!!

The "Clean up Campaign" is to start the 29th of September with a "kick off" party at the park. Trash sculpture contest for kids.....awareness awareness awareness the month of October and clean up , clean up, clean up! Papers, radio, TV everyone is planning to do their part....As of November 1. Tickets will be issued if you don't clean up. This is to home owners, businesses, and private individuals....Fines are STEEP! Closing party the 3rd of November..

I am working with Town Board to 'grid" off the island on a map and get a person in each "grid" to be responsible for reporting to me WHAT is needed and when....Trash pick up...where and what day.

Also working on getting more "small" trash containers for front and middle street.
Getting the guys that do clean up to "redo" "how" they clean up.....Give them sections to be responsible for and that way we know who is and isn't working and doing what they are suppose to be doing. Each having a square block radius that they pick up clean up and maintain....

Also starting to work on 2 actual trash trucks and dumpsters for outer areas...This way we have somewhere to put trash and then trash trucks pick it up regularly....Daily! Making routes and routines pick ups

How is that for a start......

Thanks Man!

Let me know what you think....I don't even know what web site you are talking about? Sorry little slow !!!!!!

Tammy

B
B
just a quick question. If a landowner decides to fill their lot with refuse of every toxic type from oil cans, plastic bottles, plastic bags full of home waste, is this legal. Seems some feel that it is their property and whatever it takes to fill the low areas is ok. Just wondering since there are many areas where this is common place. If it is ok, you can forget any type of pick-up campaign. Really wish someone with authority or knowledge would respond. If it is illegal as it should be, what are the remedies to get it cleaned up. We have a long way to go but we must start somewhere. Kudos to the Town Council for drawing attention to this critical issue. For example, there is an an area about 1/2 mile past Victoria House that is on a bend of the road that looks like the dump. Only problem is the dump is still 1/2 mile away. Is there a way for the average citizen to call attention to these toxic practices?

OP Offline
Just a quick response. smile First of all it's not being organized by the town council but cooperated with. The participants last week were a mix of Native belizeans and new Belizeans.

There is a way to get involved and that is to go to an orientation meeting and become a ticket giver. I plan to do it and I do plan to give warnings. This is a process. Some day someone will collect the toxic refuge like you mentioned but right now most trash is diverted to fill. There will be recycling and Proper and complete incineration too. But for now who will pay for that? This is a cash and carry economy and so what your talking about is a goal. If you go south from Caye coffee and the sausage factory toward the end you will see lots of dumping but most of it is hard construction materials, wood, metal and tree cuttings. This is being done where they are filling the land. Everyone gets upset when they see this but some of these practices go on in the US but you just don't see it. Fill is expensive. Not justifying it. I am all about protecting the environment and especially the reef but the reality is how will it be paid for. So hope to see you or perhaps some friends you tell about this getting involved.

Thanks for the perspective.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
S
S
Good goin'! Great start.

BETA NO LITTA!

Grassroots goodness!

Adopt a highway, adopt a beach, adopt a grid. I love it!

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
SIN, remember we talked about this last month? Barging it to Honduras shocked !! LOL!

TL, where are they going to PUT all the trash?

tothedumptothedumptothedumpdumpdump
aaahh yes - then burn it - but it is the best we can do right now.
Come on out this Saturday
Bring a rake or shovel - gloves and a good spirit.
Tammy is providing trash bags, cold water and we do have some latex gloves.
I am the bag lady/water woman.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Maybe the Chamber of Commerce can get some more plastic barrels - a different color this time???

Harriette
There was a big article in the daily recently that addressed the trash problem. After reading it, it became apparent that there exists a major issue with disposal of refuse on the island. The article pointed out the severity if the situation but failed to identify any public sanitation practices that are presently in place that, if followed, would remedy the problem. I did however imply that there was a public dump site on the island but didn't suggest how the public was expected to access it on a daily basis.

The volunteer cleanup committee describe in this thread is, IMHO, to be commended for their efforts. And I concur that people like construction contractors and the like deserve severe punishment for fouling the environment. However I also sympathise with the housewife who has "no place" to dump her coffee grounds.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
S
S
I love me some latex!

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
hey SIN - what size?

Harriette
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.