Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24927 08/30/00 11:17 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I have heard some disturbing news about building material being stolen from properties...even when there was a guard on duty. Since our property is at Buena Vista Point, and sort of out of the way for normal traffic, this concerns us very much. Has this really been going on? My source says that the guards have been beaten up and material taken. True or not? We hope to be able to start building there in the really near future.

#24928 08/30/00 11:43 AM
I do not know if the story about stolen building materials is true. I do know that there has been more crime up north past Boca del Rio. When I left several weeks ago, the northerites where getting together to start a neighborhood watch program. Their has been some serious meetings with the Chief of Police and Patty Areco. I wouldn't, mean while, be too conserned. The problem has been understood. There are great forces being exerted regarding crime up north. Don't worry, be happy...

Gone fishing!!
#24929 08/30/00 12:10 PM
Ms.V.....send me an email. I have your addy on my puter at home.....not here at work.

#24930 08/30/00 12:53 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Tammy,
I tried to send you an email but it was returned. My email is [email protected]
Feel free to send me something.

#24931 08/30/00 05:17 PM
Over the years I have talked with many expats and residents in Belize who have built houses, and also people who have built small resorts, and almost every one of them has mentioned theft of building materials as part of their experience in Belize.

It's more common in some areas than others, but it's a fact of life. Security obviously helps, though sometimes one has to mind the minders. Big, black dogs help, I'm told.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#24932 08/30/00 06:19 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Lan, thanks for the suggestion but since I am more of a cat person, I wonder if two big black cats might work? Say two nice, sweet panthers? Just kidding of course... before someone decides I must be crazy.
I have also heard of the neighborhood watch group trying to get started. Any word on that? I know they were supposed to have a meeting about a week ago or so.

#24933 08/30/00 09:05 PM
Regarding a contact, Dr Lala, of Carribean Villa Hotel, would be the easist to get hold-of, about information regarding the Northern Neighborhood Watch. The Hotel has a website on Ambergriscaye.com.

Gone fishing!!
#24934 08/31/00 08:35 AM
I can recommend a big black dog. We went down to our resort pier to swim one day. Just the family. Three local guys came down to the pier. One with a machetee, one with an ax and one with a chain saw. These guys were HUGE. They also had a HUGE dog with them. My husband and I looked up at them, with thier "weapons" and were terrified. I remember thinking. This is it. I'm gonna die...... I very hesitantly asked what the dogs name was, just to be as friendly as possible, given the situation. The response? "Killer". We both almost leaped off the pier to swim to shore. We were frozen. As it turned out, these three guys had been chopping mangrove on the north end. Thy were hot and needed a swim. Brought the "weapons" with them so they wouldn't get stolen.They were all perfect gentleman, and very friendly. Killer turned out to be a marshmellow. LOL My husband went in to swim and Killer leaped in after him to "play". He was a bit big to "play" with, but definately intimidating. When my boys got out of the water, Killer licked them to death. They were as still as roman pillars. LOL. I say, hire these three guys and Killer to protect your site. You shouldn't have any problem.......

#24935 08/31/00 09:50 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Debbie,
thanks for the hint with those guys with the black dog. Sounds like a plan to me. I know on ocassion we have run into a few guys who looked very intimidating but turned out to be super nice and friendly. Taught me not to always go by looks...LOL Guess that is just their demeanor. Also, I'm sure a few of the tourists are not always friendly to the locals and it may put them on their guard about being friendly before they know if they are in hostile or friendly territory.
Unfortunately, one trip we made, some "friends" (past-tense) came down with us. They were so rude so many times that we just got fed up. they always seemed to think that the Belizeans were trying to rip them off or
something. We tried to tell them that everyone was really nice here and just to relax but they never got it. The topper was on our last morning there, the owners of the condo where we always stay said "It was nice having you here. We hope to see you again soon." Our "friends" replied, "You won't see us here again." Rick and I both thought..."That's for sure. Not with us at any rate." We were so embarrassed that they treated people we know like that. Guess it takes all kinds. Well, if they didn't enjoy Paradise that is their loss and our gain. LOL

#24936 08/31/00 10:41 AM
Belize Mama,
Know exactly what you're talking about traveling with rude frineds. We took a couple with us to a small marina village in Mexico. (Puerto Aventuras) They acted the same way. 5 days of pure hell. The last two we avoided them entirely. We too, had been there several times before. Talked down to everyone, misspronounced people's names on purpose, yelled at the waiters, complained about the food, refused to pay the marked price for their sourveniers. Horrible. They wanted to go deep sea fishing with us. We urged them the night before, not to get toasted, and told them at breakfast to eat dry toast and fruit. They stuffed on the bacon and sausage. Need I say more????? Our boat captain asked my husband if he should turn the boat around and take them back. After all their crap, and rude behavior, he told him no. He was going to fish. He tipped him handsomely for the inconvenience and "mess". Ever heard of the book, "The Ugly American?" Often times when we travel I see this, and want to crawl in a hole. Embarrassed to be American. Hope they don't think ALL Americans are like this......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.