Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bec Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We have been traveling to may destinations in the past 5 years and so far the only place my husband has become deathly sick was the Dominican Republic. We usually take Cipro with us, but my prescription is outdated and not sure if I should request another one. Anyone else get sick due to drinking the water?

Thanks

sun,sand,cerveca
Been here a year and a half and use tap water to boil things and for brushing teeth and so far no troubles.

There was a past post or 2 on drinking water but sofar I have not been able to locate it.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

LOL . . the condensed version of this topic read "problems with drinking" !! so, of course, I was interested . . . but, seriously, we have had absolutley no issues on our trips down to AC!! At least with the water . . the rum is another story entirely!! whistle

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
There's a flu going around that's pretty draining. Keep an eye it's not that instead. I drank the city water for a long time when I first got here and didn't have a problem but I don't recommend it as the water is only as good as the point of use plumbing. Recently I saw a roof that the person had laid the shingles backwards so the water just flowed underneath. If that guy was the plumber he might have mixed up the sewer line. I know. Ewwwwww ...........

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
L
L
Many people, including us, rely on cistern as well as city water. We never had a problem for about 20 yrs. We did start to experience intestinal problems a few years ago(giraida). Still use tap water for brushing teeth, boiling in cooking, but for drinking now use only bottled water. If you are on vacation, it might be wise to drink bottled water and not risk ruining your vacation.

R.B. Mernitz
I drink the water, make ice out of it, brush teeth, etc and have never had a problem. My guess is that it depends on where you stay and what the water source is. Bottled water is readily available, and the local water can taste a bit clorinaated, but in all the trips I've made I've never had a problem.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Bottled water... I consider it pretty cheep insurance.

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
I always used it to brush my teeth and I've even had a glass of tap water now and then, however, since the last thread about this, I'm going to be using bottled water for all.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Lived in Belize for 5 years now, all over the country. I have never gotten sick from the water here yet.

Is the water safe to drink?

There is ample water for showers and bathing in San Pedro, but you are asked to conserve. Hotels will supply you with all your drinking water. Many visitors drink the local water with no harmful after-effects. Others, more prudent or with delicate stomachs should stick to bottled water.

San Pedro draws the bulk of its water from shallow wells in sand (they do not penetrate bedrock). Municipal water is chlorinated and aerated, but untreated well water should not be drunk. Some places have cistern water that is also safe to drink.

Check with your host concerning which water is acceptable for drinking (and brushing your teeth).

San Pedro's drinking water comes primarily from a private contractor at the south end of Bonita Island that manufactures clean water using an industrial high capacity reverse osmosis plant. The water is purchased wholesale by the town of San Pedro and pumped by standard water pipe methods throughout Bonita Island. They "improve" on this already pure water by injecting chlorine into it as well. The chlorine smell is evident when one drinks or washes in it directly, so many San Pedrano's use it only for water closet flushing, laundry and bathing. Most of the later buy their drinking water in bottles and have them refilled very cheaply.

Most homes and several of the older hotels and resorts have a cistern water cache to trap rain water run off and these are hooked in parallel to the city water system. They are used primarily by the locals to save on water bills, and secondarily to bypass the chlorine taste of city drinking water, and thirdly as a means to reduce fading from chlorinated water in colored clothing from washed laundry. So, cisterns are often the preferred water used by San Pedranos. You are advised to ask if your hosts have cistern water and to make your own judgement call as to whether to drink it if they do in fact have one.

Best bet: Buy purified water and have gallon sized bottles refilled for BZE $1.00/$0.50 US at several locations... Ask any San Pedrano where low cost drinking water refill stations are located.

The Bonita Island fresh water aquifer under San Pedro Town, the shallow lens shaped bubble of fresh water is rather thin, but to the north, at Basil Jones, there is abundant fresh water. On Bonita Island the sewer and water system is new, expensive and under funded, such that only a small percentage of San Pedrano's actually drain their sewage away via the very good city sewer system. Be aware that having city water is not a guarantee that ones host is hooked up to the sewage system as well.

Belmopan is equipped with a modern water treatment plant and sewerage system. Piped water is also available in Belize City, Benque Viejo del Carmen, Burrell Boom Village, Corozal Town, Dangriga Town, Orange Walk Town, San Ignacio and Santa Elena Town, Punta Gorda Town, San Jose Succotz Town.

//ambergriscaye.com/info/questions/58/Is+the+water+safe+to+drink%3F

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.