Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Personal Taser [Re: DGrefreshed] #250732
09/25/07 01:43 PM
09/25/07 01:43 PM
Ks
DitchDocDiver Offline
DitchDocDiver  Offline
Actually, water doesn't conduct very well.. that is pure water, by the way.

We all know that the water we are in reference has a pretty high content of NaCl, and a bunch of other stuff. All of which makes it a pretty good conductor, hence, say away from an eletric fence, if you feel the need.

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
Re: Personal Taser [Re: DitchDocDiver] #250774
09/25/07 03:47 PM
09/25/07 03:47 PM
California
Leah-Ann Offline
Leah-Ann  Offline
Wow, seems to be a lot of off-the-cuff , incorrect information being distributed here.

The first issue would be the transportation of a Taser to Belize. The TSA has identified the Taser as a prohibited weapon that cannot be brought past airport security checkpoints by unauthorized personnel. Individual states also have restrictions regarding the transportation of Tasers. For example California prohibits Tasers from being carried into public facilities such as schools and airports. However, it does appear Tasers can be packed in checked luggage.

The second issue would be whether Belize would permit a Taser to be brought into the country. It appears that possession of a Taser without a license is probably prohibited under Belize’s Firearm Act. Under the Act, “firearm” includes any weapon or other thing of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged and includes any component part of any such weapon (including silencers.) The Act specifically excepts toy guns or toy pistols and air guns or air pistols/pellets. Pursuant to the terms of the Act, any firearm or kind of ammunition not coming clearly within a stated exception shall be deemed to be included in the definition. Neither Tasers or stun guns are listed as exceptions and would most probably be counted as a firearm under Belize law. As an interesting side note, I believe a permit for possession costs $75 for a citizen and $500 for a non citizen.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Re: Personal Taser [Re: Leah-Ann] #250775
09/25/07 03:54 PM
09/25/07 03:54 PM
belize north
DGrefreshed Offline
DGrefreshed  Offline
Why this obsession with arming oneself for "protection"? Leave that baggage where it belongs - back in big-city USA and Canada. Tasers. STun guns - whatever. IN the hands of fools they are a deady weapon.

Re: Personal Taser [Re: DGrefreshed] #250777
09/25/07 03:59 PM
09/25/07 03:59 PM
Maple Grove, MN USA
Bobber Offline
Bobber  Offline
Discussion, not obsession.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Re: Personal Taser [Re: Leah-Ann] #250778
09/25/07 04:01 PM
09/25/07 04:01 PM
San Pedro
S
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Sir Isaac Newton  Offline
S
probably = off the cuff

I have a air powered pellet gun that is potentially lethal (from Brodies wink ), Taser in non-lethal and is not usually considered a firearm (no fired bullets or missiles, spring/gas action as with some pellet/bb guns).

Not that it makes it legal, most folks at Customs may not be knowlegdeable of the difference between a stun gun and a taser.

A firearm as well as a taser can be checked in your luggage and brought to Belize, in the case of a firearm, released from Customs upon presentation of proper documents.

It is sad to see so many licensed weapons on the island. Sad that there sometimes is a need for such besides target practice and some hunting.

[Linked Image]

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Re: Personal Taser [Re: Sir Isaac Newton] #250779
09/25/07 04:08 PM
09/25/07 04:08 PM
San Pedro
S
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Sir Isaac Newton  Offline
S
A Belikin bottle is also a good choice for self protection and totally legal, even in luggage or in California.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Re: Personal Taser [Re: Sir Isaac Newton] #250780
09/25/07 04:09 PM
09/25/07 04:09 PM
belize north
DGrefreshed Offline
DGrefreshed  Offline
I must admit a fondness for pellet guns only because I do know that shooting a would be teef in the arse with one would create an awful sting.

People have died from the use of tasers/stun guns. I wished I had the numbers right in front of me but I saw the reports on NBC and CNN there was no deviation in the stats which had been kept since 2002.

Bobber you say discussion and yes this is what we are doing here but in terms of what I see as a pervasive behaviour on the part of some folks who come down here? Obsession. Obsession with SAFETY and SECURITY and blah blah blah blah blah. Fears that to me anyway are so ridiculous that I cannot articulate my disdain in a proper fashion.

Re: Personal Taser [Re: Bobber] #250781
09/25/07 04:10 PM
09/25/07 04:10 PM
California
Leah-Ann Offline
Leah-Ann  Offline
oh yeah, and as for the peeing on a fence stuff:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/electricfence.asp

and let me just apologize in advance about the picture.... shocked

Re: Personal Taser [Re: Sir Isaac Newton] #250782
09/25/07 04:16 PM
09/25/07 04:16 PM
California
Leah-Ann Offline
Leah-Ann  Offline
SIN, your air powered pellet gun is specifically excluded under Belize's firearm act. Tasers and stun guns are not. Your statement about firearms being released upon showing of proper permits/licenses is consistent with what I said. Whether a non-citizen gets one of those prior to arrival is questionable. Couldn't speak to how knowledgable customs agents are, but agree that is an issue distinct from legality, which was the original question posed.

I can think of so many better uses for a Belikin bottle... wink

Re: Personal Taser [Re: Leah-Ann] #250783
09/25/07 04:24 PM
09/25/07 04:24 PM
belize north
DGrefreshed Offline
DGrefreshed  Offline
I wonder how many of these weapons have already been smuggled in. Customs personnel, bless their hearts, cannot be expected to keep up with every crazy gringo gadget out there.

Was there not a report recently about a taser or stun gun attack Belize City? (I really gotta start a file folder one of these days)

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 239 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,601
Posts491,401
Members19,985
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.