Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
Last time on Caye Caulker, (next time will be our 4th) on my way to the water taxi for our trip home frown I noticed a young man with a cart with shrimp for sale. I was not able to ask him if he sells seafood every day. Is this always available? I looked in the stores but have not found any that have other than frozen seafood. Another question. While we were there someone mentioned that you can buy beer right from the beer truck. Is this true? We are going to be staying on Caye Caulker for a month and are renting a place with a kitchen this time. We do support the locals every day, it is nice to be able to cook once in a while. Any ideas??

Split Canadian
Mmmm... shrimp and beer. Sounds like you need a trip to the distributor. The beer/soda distributor sells beer (cold or not), soda, water, coffee, hot sauce, t-shirts and yes... shrimp. This is pretty much the same at all distributors nationwide as they are all owned by the same company - Bowen & Bowen (who also runs shrimp farms). As far as the truck goes, yes - you can hail the beer truck and buy whatever you want. Even better you can call the distributor and order whatever you want FOR DELIVERY to your house. Enjoy.

P.S. I think the CC distributor is still at 226-0241 and they are located at the back dock - straight back from water taxi / Chan's supermarket.

Last edited by KnckrBckrNYC; 10/07/07 04:04 PM.
Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you. I think you have just made my trip just a little bit better. Not sure if it can get any better than Caye Caulker but thanks alot!!

Split Canadian
A
AlJ Offline
A
We called it the Beer Deere. John Deere tractor pulling the trailor with the goodies.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/beli...ur%202007/album/slides/a%20PICT0025.html

R
R
So how much do Lobster cost?? And Shrimp also?? I would think it would be easier to just go out and eat. I really enjoy cooking but I hear the food on CC is great. What are some of the good beers to try?

Last edited by ReelDuel; 10/08/07 07:40 PM.
E
E
BEERS ?

Lobster is $22-27bz per pound (tails)... shrimp is less. But remember shrimp is not fished from the waters off Caye Caulker. Support local fisherman by eating snapper, grouper, barracuda and lobster. It is always "easier" to go out and eat... sometime you want to cook at your house, saving a buck or two or trying out a special recipe. Also depends on where you are staying... whether you have a kitchen.

R
R
Am I to assume that there is only one beer?? Belikin

C
C
No there is also Lighthouse!!!!

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree that eating in the local restaraunts is good value most have excellent food. I think we ate at them all. My fav is Rasta Pasta, but I heard that they sold. Not sure if that is a fact.

There are a few of us going this time and two of us are Chefs who love cooking. You want an excellent lobster or other seafood BBQ (depending on the night) try out Jolly Roger. You can go early in the afternoon and order your meal or order it later in the evening for the next day.

Another treat we stumbled upon was someone cooking Jerk Chicken near The Split. Simple good jerk chicke, wrapped in wax paper. Oh and the guy selling the rum filled coconut near the split is also good. I think that trip to the Split took us all afternoon.

On Caye Cauker they have 5 kinds of beer:

Belikin Beer - excellent
Belikin stout - nice for a stout
Belikin Supreme - excellent beer
Guinness (local bottler and distributor)- wasn't able to find any
Belikin Lighthouse lager - I got laughed at for drinking it as this is considered to be a woman's beer.

The rum is One Barrel. It is really smooth with a slight vanilla flavour. My wife loved the coconut rum. I think a 40 was $6.80 in 2006. They have a variety of imported liquor but it is expensive. Wine is also not inexpensive. Another liquer I tried was Green Ting an Anise and peppermint flavoured green liquer. They have a website you can check out http://www.traliqbelize.com/products.html I tried a local cashew nut wine, you have to taste it, it is quite "different". You should also try the local bitters. Although I saw some drinking it straight I would not suggest it. Use it as you would any other bitters. A few drops in your rum and coke improve the flavour. I also tried a small bottle of white liquor I bought in Ambergris - the guy behind the counter laughed and said "it is good for the wood". It was a good pick-me-up, not sure about the 'wood' part.

Split Canadian
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day