Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#252336 10/09/07 11:37 AM
J
JoanneG Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone, this is Joanne, Denny Shane's daughter. I'm sure that everyone here knows that he has suffered a massive stroke at the end of August. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. This is all still very difficult for me to deal with and I have no clue on what I should be doing. My goal is to get him back up to the Philadelphia/New Jersey area where all of his family is. I have been told that I should get legal guardianship, but I have heard it is very time consuming and extremely expensive. Plus, I really don't know anything about legal guardianship's and I don't want to wind up being responsible for any hospital bills, credit card bills, etc. My husband and I are flying to Houston tomorrow morning. My husband and I are not familar with the Houston area, so I'm really hoping we don't get lost. Thanks again for keeping him in your prayers.

JoanneG #252337 10/09/07 11:55 AM
K
K
Joanne: From an earlier post relaying your info, it hinted at concern over your personal finacial responsibility. First, as a relative, you have no personal liability for his past or present debt. Even as guardian you are responsible for his bills only to the extent of his money/assets. Only if you sign a personal guarantee at the facility will you be responsible. As for future expenses, if he is unable to afford the cost with his assets, Medical Assistance will pay. It will require that all but a minimal amount of cash and assts be liquidated. In the meantime MA will kick in. The guardianship is necessary so you can make the MA application for him. You should be able to get a temporary appointment w/o a hearing, then followed by a hearing in about 30 days for permanent authority to issued. Youmay be able to appear by phone for that hearing. It's also a "voluntary" job from which you can resign. Check with the County Dept. of Human Services, or Family Services or whatever they call it in Tx. Applications for MA are one of the few gov't programs, where the agencies in charge actually assist in securing the benefit(at least up this way they do). Good luck, JOHN

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
JoanneG #252338 10/09/07 11:56 AM
Joanne,
I had not had the pleasure of meeting your father in person, but between chatting with him on the board and reading about his trials and travels around the Houston area and in-between, I felt like I had known him forever. He is truly a remarkable and one of a kind guy. He's loved by all, as he truly loves everyone and life. Denny, yourself and your family are in my prayers. I wish I could help you out on the Houston area, but I know there are a few here on the board that will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.
Godspeed to you and yours and all my prayers and well wishes are with all of you.
Lydia

Take the road less traveled
Joanne, good to see you posted. You will receive lots of well wishes and good information. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Becky

Windjammer #252412 10/10/07 08:06 AM
joanne,
there is a network of friends here willing to help you out. pls feel free to rely on us. becky has all my numbers.
gay
ps: don't believe anything becky tells you about me!

Joanne,
I think Denny is the wittiest guy I know! And a dern nice one too.
Sincerely Malibu

MALIBU #252743 10/12/07 02:35 PM
we are going for a lil visit tonight. will let you know how he is doing.

thanks...

Marty #252815 10/13/07 02:26 AM
Thanks again Becky and Gay too!
Joanne... there are attorneys on this board that may be able help you or know colleagues to call to know exactly what you may need for the correct legal paper work. Don't be shy.
Much Aloha to you and yours!
Alooohaaaa Denny!!!

denverdan #252817 10/13/07 05:57 AM
S
S
Krehfish's advice is good.

The Pennsylvania Department of Aging and whatever that department is called in Texas can also help you. Check their websites and call them until you find someone who understands your issues and is able to guide you. There are many facing the same dilemmas and there is help available.

Here is a link to the legal resources page from the Philadelphia Corporation on Aging, the Philadelphia arm of the state Department of Aging. You can also look at other sections of the website for more resources.

http://www.pcacares.org/pca_faqs_Legal_Assistance.aspx

Here is the Texas website
http://www.dads.state.tx.us/ownyourfuture/info.html

I am familiar with Pennsylvania's services, but not Texas's.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,
Lynn

[btw, Did Denny used to practice as a lawyer (or even a judge?) or am I confusing him with another Board member? ]

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 332 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.