Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#253227 10/17/07 03:12 PM
OP Offline
As a non-resident that owns property on AC, can I obtain a Belize Drivers License?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Yes you can, apply at local transortation office. You will need to take a written test. They give you a list of the actual questions and answers. Memorize them and pass the test.

OP Offline
dabunk, I was told that I had to be have residency or a work permit or own a business. Well I do not do have any of the above. However, I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars here on the Island. I was granted a golf cart permit with the condition that I get a Belize drivers license. But, that looks like it's going to be a problem because I'm not a resident, even though I spend 5 months out of the year here. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Well we got ours after living in belize for 6 months, while renewing our passsports every month. We were told we had to be in Belize for 12 months before we could get it. But at the check point on the Northern highway was a PC who told me I had to get it immediately. So we went to transport and they told us one year but allowed us to get ours anyway after explaining about the PC hassling us. Go to transport in Belize City and ask there.

&nbsp Loansum,
I was never asked about residency at all. I just went to the office in Belize City and applied.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
Just to put a little perspective on this problem.

My parents spend most of their year in the US. They are Belizean. They are having a hell of a time trying to get their residency permits. They have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in the US and they are living on pensions - not sucking off the system. They cannot get US drivers licenses until they are residents.

So, I guess it works both ways.

JZB Offline
My neice got hers after being on the island one week as a visitor and having no previous license. No palms were greased either.

S
S
I use my international drivers permit when in Belize. It is recognized in 130 countries as a valid operators license( you have to carry your country of origin permit or license with you).
I took two pasport photos and $10.00 US to AAA.
aaa.com
The checkpoints in San Pedro accept it as well as rental agencies in Belize City. Realizing it doen't do you much good if you are in Belize already, it's just another option...

This is the first I have ever heard about the transport department not allowing applications for driving licenses until someone is a resident. Maybe the rules have changed, or are being enforced.

Either way most everybody (long term visitor - non resident)I have ever sent over to transport has taken the test, provided the photos and the medical form and received a license within a few days or so.

Might be worth another try Al-K.

OP Offline
Amanda, they went ahead and allowed me to complete an application and submit everything necessary. The guy behind the desk just repeatedly said that it was going to be very difficult but would "help me all he could". I translated that into $$$$, but absolutely refuse to pay 1 penny more than what is required by law. I take the test this coming Monday. We'll see.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.