Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#254852 10/30/07 09:18 AM
A
AlJ Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi
We've been to Caye Caulker for the past three years but are coming to Ambergris Caye this year. From Caulker the all day snorkeling trips go to Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley and Coral Gardens. From what I can tell, the tours from Ambergris only go to two of the three. Is this true or am I missing something? Are there other places to snorkel that are better that we should consider?
Thanks

I think you can go to any of those places from AC. In addition, I've heard Mexico Rocks at the north end of the island is a great place to snorkel. I haven't been there yet myself but that's what I've heard.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Yes, Coral Gardens is close to Caye Caulker and not on regular itineraries from SP, but Mexico Rocks is correspondingly closer so is visited from SP but not CC.

Also, the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley is a 1/2 day trip ( about 3 hours). Bacalar Chico trip goes to other places up north, and is full day.

A
AlJ Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Is Bacalar Chico much different than the other places. I'm unfamiliar with it. Thanks

Bacalar Chico is a park at the northern tip of the island. The trip we took a year or so ago started out in town, went thru the lagoon to the back side of the island, then north. You stop at the park site on the back side of the island, then go thru the "cut" or the part cut thru the mangroves (help me here if I'm wrong) by the Mayas. This part is about 10 feet wide, with Mexico on the left hand and Belize on the right. There is one snorkel stop soon after re-emerging to the Caribbean side, then lunch on the beach, then two more stops on the way south back to town. At one point you have to go outside the reef for a bit. At one stop we saw some amazing coral, including brain coral about the size of a VW. Also saw a lot of small sharks. The visibility is fantastic, and there are no other snorkelers anywhere near you except those on your boat.

As Kris said, Bacalar Chico is an amazing trip. You go all the way around the island and once you get through the cut the water is crystal clear and you are the only ones around. Last year I got to swim with a huge manatee and very large sea turtle. Lots of barracuda and beautiful fish. You go outside the reef and then come back in. Would highly recomment this trip!!!

B
B
Which tour operators do the Bacalar Chico trip? I'll be down in April and would like to do this one.

We went with Searious, and it was a very good tour. I'm sure others do it as well.

B
B
I also went with Searious and had THE BEST time. The snorkeling is really unparalleled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.