Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
And here is the full version of the invitation email for the SPBA WITH time and location:

Originally Posted by SPBA
The Prime Minister of Belize, the Honorable Said Musa has requested a meeting with the San Pedro Business Association. We would like all members to be present at Banana Beach Resort at 12:45 pm tomorrow (Wednesday November 14th, 2007).

This meeting is for SPBA members only - please do not bring Non-Members.

For those of you that have not had a chance to join the SPBA, you may join prior to the meeting by paying the membership fee (please make cheques payable to San Pedro Business Association). Keep in mind that members of the SPBA must be business concerns operating on Ambergris Caye, that pay Business Taxes.

The following issues are on the agenda for this meeting:
1. The Roads
2. Crime
3. Garbage
4. San Pedro's status as a separate District.

We look forward to seeing you all there.

If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at: 226-4474 or email: info@sanpedrobusiness.com

E
E
Jan, will there be a transcript of the meeting. Although I am not a member of the SPBA as I do not meet the requirements, I do have an interest in what happens in SP.

Ernie

I may not be able to attend so I requested that the meeting be recorded and a transcript typed up. If all goes well this will happen!

I can't even tell you how many years ago it was that the PM visited CC.

Unless he came and I somehow missed it. Hopfully your meeting will be productive and issues resolved.

OP Offline
Ernie, I am sure it will be posted on the SPBA web site and here; I'll see to that.
Jan

E
E
Thanks !

E
E
Jan, any update on thr transcript ?

Ernie

OP Offline
The SPBA will come with their transcript, I double checked on that. I will post it as soon as it's done. Here is my brief recap of the meeting:

After the introduction, the PM held a speech in which he of course underlined the work that he had already done, and stated that issues like roads, police and garbage are typical problems that have to be dealt with by the Town Council. He emphasized that the government is making big efforts on a better electricity infrastructure and a new water distribution system for the island.

Chris Berlin was the first to ask for extra help in the budget for the police force. Gricel Graniel remarked that in order for San Pedro to remain a source of taxes for the rest of the country, our tourists have to be protected.

Chris Alnatt did the math on the police officers, and with 1200 police officers country wide on a population of 300,000 there is a police officer for every 250 people. In San Pedro we have 26 officers on a population of about 18,000 (not including tourists) that is 1 for every 692 people.

The PM seemed surprised by these facts and when the Hon. Rodwell Ferguson, Minister of Defense came in (BDF assistance had also been asked) he asked him whether extra assistance would be possible. To be continued is the message.

Peter Lawrence reminded the PM of last year when the government decided to chip in for the roads (after the then unborn SPBA threatened the government not paying anymore taxes), and wondered whether now he could do the same thing and promise another 4 million dollars to continue the road building, but unfortunately the PM didn't bring a check this time...

Of course funding came up, and the argument that the SPTB (San Pedro Town Board) only gets BZ$ 69,000 to spent from the government was contradicted by the PM saying that property taxes (that are collected and used by the SPTB) should be around 9 to 10 million. After some asking around that figure turned out to be 3 million dollars, and according to Manuel Herredia about 2.4 million of that has been collected. It should also be noted that according to figures that are 3 years old, all the businesses on Ambergris Caye pay about BZ$ 60,000,000 annually to the GOB.

Another issue was the DFC area, where no property taxes are being paid, and there seems to be a lot of confusion about this area. The PM stated that they also need to pay property taxes, and promised the SPTB help in collecting the taxes. Regarding to the roads in DFC the issue was raised that in a subdivision the developer should take care of the infrastructure, in this case being the GOB, but ccording to the PM, roads are the responsibility of the SPTB.

As for the garbage, we would like to have a garbage truck, so the garbage doesn't fall of the trailer when it is transported over the bad road to the dump. The PM was surprised to hear that we don't have a garbage truck - I guess also to be continued? I know the SPBA is working on a plan, so we'll see something soon.

Finally Steve Schulte made a plea for Ambergris Caye becoming the 7th district. He mentioned that AC (and San Pedro) have always had the attitude of dealing with their problems on their own. During this meeting it became clear that Belmopan is poorly informed about the status on our island, and he concluded that we would be better able to deal with our problems when we would have our own minister (and a budget to go with that).

The PM agreed that that was a very valid point, said he would certainly look into it but didn't want to make this subject into an election stunt, so he suggested to continue this conversation after elections (when he would still be in the government at that time of course).

I think the meeting was very informative for the PM, it was a very friendly meeting and I hope something positive will come out of this.

Jan

E
E
Thanks Jan. It sounds very positive and I am glad it had a friendly tone to it ! I was concerned that it might get heated.

Ernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.