Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#256747 11/14/07 10:58 PM
OP Offline
I was wondering if anyone on the board knows about Bill and Claire Gray's Belize Relocation Tour? We're going to their seminar in San Pedro in February, but aren't going on the entire tour of Belize as it's too expensive. And we're pretty sure San Pedro is where we'd end up if we decided to live in Belize. Anyway, I'd love to hear positives or negatives about it if anyone has any info!

mikeywaz
In my opinion Bill and Claire Gray's seminar would not be beneficial if you KNOW you are going to settle on the caye.

Their information is valid for mainland locations but San Pedro is an entirely different, unique location that cannot be lumped in and generalized with mainland destinations.

A total waste of money and time-a good way to fleece people-they know nothing about living on the cayes and not much more about the mainland-you will learn more in a local bar than you will from them-also you will then be getting something for your money-a couple of beers and or rums/vodka etc.

Last edited by Pedro1; 11/16/07 05:27 PM.
Hon Offline
Originally Posted by Mikeywaz
We're going to their seminar in San Pedro in February, but aren't going on the entire tour of Belize as it's too expensive. And we're pretty sure San Pedro is where we'd end up if we decided to live in Belize.

If you can't afford to take an entire tour there is a very good chance you can't afford to live in San Pedro. There are definitely no Caribbean beach rental properties there for $150US per month.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Oh how funny $150 month.
Mikey:
I expect you can afford a couple weeks here to relax and see what you think about our island. I am sure Pedro would give you an ear full. (He does not want anyone to know that most of the time he is quite gracious in person). The majority of the population of San Pedro are from somewhere else, even if it somewhere else in Belize. Most folks are helpful and pleasant. Rare to find a snob except on the message board.
Enjoy, life is short.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
OP Offline
Thanks for the plethora of info! I suspect Pedro1 is right - and we do plan to spend a lot of time chatting with locals in San Pedro. That's the main reason we decided against the rest of the trip, although expense was a consideration too. That's also why we're not pre-planning our stay too much, which is hard for us. We want to experience San Pedro and get a variety of views before making any decisions. And based on the discussions I've read on here, it seems like there's lots of opinions on things!

I really do appreciate the assortment of views expressed on this board, but thanks for the reassurance, indygal!

mikeywaz
Bill and Clare focus on how to make a life in Belize on a very strict budget. They know how to do that, and they put their theories in practice in their daily lives in Belize. They do not live on AC. They stay on a budget by living in a quiet part of Belize and accessing services in both Mexico and Belize. They start their seminars in San Pedro to give the participants a "soft landing" in a place less foreign and challenging than some of the other areas they eventually visit. The first day of the seminar is usually about Belize in general. This might include visits/talks by people from Customs, Immigration, one or two transplanted Gringos who have become local businesspeople, and somebody who can explain a bit about construction and general real estate things. It is not really oriented to getting to know Ambergris Caye, and you will not have much time to see the island with the schedule they have set for the tour. If you want to have an overview of several budget-lifestyle areas in a short time, then they seem to do a pretty good job of that. I have met people who signed up for the whole tour and left themselves an open week in country afterwards for their own exploration of the location(s) they found interesting on the tour.

S
S
Thank you. Sounds like some nice folks.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
OP Offline
Thanks, Diane. That's the perception we got about the tour. We figured we can at least benefit from hearing about the legalities of living/buying/working in Belize from the seminar. But we're planning to be in San Pedro for a week to see what we can find out on our own. I hope we can meet up with some of you!

mikeywaz

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.