Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Jamaican legislators consider resuming hanging
The Associated Press - Published: November 17, 2007

KINGSTON, Jamaica: Jamaican lawmakers are considering resuming hangings in response to rising violent crime, almost two decades since the last person was executed by the noose in this Caribbean nation.

Jamaicans have pushed for the measure, Karl Samuda, general secretary of Prime Minister Bruce Golding's ruling party, said Saturday.

"Based on our observation, there is a strong sentiment in the country for hanging to resume," Samuda said. "We want to make sure the people get their wish."

The last hanging occurred in 1988, and five years later, Britain's Privy Council - the highest court of appeal for many former colonies - ruled that inmates who spend more than five years on death row should receive life sentences.

The ruling, coupled with international pressure to eliminate the death penalty, has led to a reluctance among Jamaican authorities to order hangings. No other type of capital punishment has since been used.

No date has been set for the vote, although Junior Security Minister Arthur Williams has said he expects parliament to take up the issue "very shortly."

About 45 inmates are on death row in Jamaica, which reported a record 1,671 homicides in 2005 and is considered one of the most violent countries in the world.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/17/news/CB-GEN-Jamaica-Hanging.php

Live and let live
I truly wish we could erect stocks in Central Park. We could all pop down to the veggie stands to collect rotten fruit and vegetables and then practice our aim at the petty thieves and assorted trouble makers.

I don't think we would want to erect gallows on the island, but maybe a statue of a noose placed just outside the gates of Hattieville might might serve as a reminder of previous hangings and discourage some of the violent criminals that are now roaming the country.

I saw gallows at the old prison in Belize city back in the 1980's.
I think the privy council won't allow capitol punishment in Belize any more.
and probably not your throwing rotten tomatoes at folks either.
I don't think we have violent criminals roaming the country, you really need to watch CNN a little.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Interesting question as to whether the Privy Council is now subservient to the European Court.

Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Stocks in Central Park to practice our aim at thieves and trouble makers with rotten fruit and vegetables would surely become a great tourist attraction... that's a win-win situation!

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.