Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
at someone's request, thought we'd do a cuisine report. this last trip was a quick and cheap one, so i will include places we went in 2007. Please, no flack - these are our opinions only.

February:

Waruguma, Waruguma, Waruguma!! this will be our first food stop for ever!! (take out advisable - only one table) Lobster burritos to die for, and ceviche full of black pepper, and overflowing out of the container. the pupusas are pretty tasty, and the pork burrito was no slouch either. Fresh, plentiful, and super yummy.

Monkey Bites: we had breakfast beachfront by canuck's. was fresh and full of flavor, and decent sized portions. good coffee too. recommend it.

el Divino: maybe it was an off time, but neither of us cared for the breakfasts (boring), and the late lunch was pricey and just ok. we had a breakfast plan here, but after 2 days just went elsewhere. not bad, just not good.

portofino - we were guests for dinner here. portofino is VERY beautiful. the boat ride was LONG. the menu was interesting, and the service and view was wonderful, but we were a little underwhelmed with the food. maybe i was just tired, maybe i like a different (not upscale americanized) cuisine when on AC. it was a lovely evening at a lovely place.

Casa Picasso: (ok, we will get slammed for this). we were not impressed. we saw nothing on the menu of interest that we can't get at home. it is our preference when we travel (and ours alone) that we do NOT get food we can get here. so we skipped dinner altogether and got dessert and coffee. no complaints about that - the desserts were not spectacular, but were above average and quite good. the decor is attractive, but the chef/hosts are what makes the place. i wish them continued success.

Estel's: another SP must-go. the view is very nice, and the dogs are too. the food is pretty good, we didnt think it was as great as everyone had said. was relaxing with toes in the sand, and i shared my beans with the dogs. fun watching locals having belikins for breakfast! we were satisfied, but decided one visit there was enough.

have to work now - will continue later.

This is funny sj... we seem to have opposite opinions on food. I really think Estel's is less than mediocre but all those other places I love.

Sorry we missed one another this round!

OP Offline
ditto, girlfriend.

you will see, your tastes too will change as you get old, and i see things differently now since living with an ex-chef.

none were bad. more to come. i restate it is just our opinions.

S
S
did you go to el patio? I LOVED their grilled cheese! I still have dreams of their bread. mmmmmmmm

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)
Sweet jane.. thanks for the report I think One should do a report by ones tastes ,mood. food,service ,value for the money etc etc.etc.Everybody has opinons!!! different stokes for different folks..While I do not feel the same way you do about some of your comments ?? not every one agrees on food!!! but looks like you got to sample a variety of places and had fun doing it . thats whats life all about ,living the dream!!!!!!

Last edited by captjeff; 11/21/07 02:30 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
I hear the "we don't want to eat what we can get at home" thing a lot from people. Maybe I'm just spoiled living in California, especially so close to San Francisco, but there isn't much I can't get at home - including some really good Belizean food. What I look for is well prepared food using fresh, local ingredients. That's where places like Jambel and Casa Picasso excell in my opinion. I guess I understand the menu not looking interesting, but seems to me it's hard to critic food you haven't tasted.
While I too am a big fan of the street vendors and little hole in the wall places and appreciate a tasty cheap meal as much as the next person, I want a nice meal in a nice setting on some of the nights I'm there. Like Capt Jeff says, it's a good thing there are so many choices on the island, different strokes, etc. I am older, and my tastes have changed, but I'm still in TQ's camp on this one!
Bon Appetit!

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Originally Posted by sweetjane

you will see, your tastes too will change as you get old, and i see things differently now since living with an ex-chef.

I have been to some of the most amazing rest's in the US. Went to Tony's (on Richmond St.) just recently (google it). The food was EXCELLENT, Capt Jeff!!

I have eaten WELL so to assume I don't know taste is... well... not too smart a guess on your part. That's just my opinion though. smile

Well, amongst others I like Celi's. I'd like to give her place a plug. Two excellent meals there on this trip.

And while the road to Papi's is really a mess and he's still got that "no water" problem in the bathroom, the porkchops he served me the other night may have been the most delicious he's ever served me and the steamed veggies were done to perfection (this last said for Chloe's benefit)

Last edited by seashell; 11/26/07 02:34 AM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Oh, and a big plug for Ambergris Delight too . . though I may stop talking about those guys since last time I was in there, I had trouble getting a table . . and then when I finally did, Teenah, another good friend and a bunch of their buddies came along and squeezed me out. wink

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
i didnt even get to the ones we liked yet! the cool thing about food is everyone has their own tastes. this is not a critique, just a report. even the best places have off nights, and the worst have good nights.

no offenses to anyone, we've all had fine food, i just look at it differently now. fine can be simple and fresh, complicated can be unimpressive, and visa versa. hype is just hype, in either direction.

papi's was closed every time we drove by!! please, feel free to plug anyplace you liked!! to live is to learn.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.