Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Well food and fishing fans, here is my quick report for Aug. & Sept.,

Fishing was good to very good. Had some very good days of fishing with Pete Graniel on his new boat Reel Lady, a custom 38 footer. It has all the toys, whistles and buttons. Lots of cover for those fast move-in move-out rain showers and a stand up head. Can hold lots of folks and can fish up to 8 reef fishing!!!!! great tackel . see photo of craigs 56 huge cabbera snapper this was a monster fish..!!! any way There are some great local captains I use, I love them all but he is one of the best. We caught yellow tail snappers and mutton snappers each day till we could not fish anymore, caught all we wanted . . The action was again fast and furious. We fished the outer reef when the seas were calm, which Aug. and Sept. were flat seas with rain showers for ten minutes, then the sun shines. The mornings would start with a hearty fisherman breakfast at Estel's. We all had the healthy start platter, ham, bacon, and cheese omelets, fried jacks and home fried potatoes, mugs of hot coffee, with swet and low of course. and Charlie's good music and conversation. Then off to Pete's dock to sail off to adventure. When we get to the dock we always feed the huge tarpon, that hang out there. some bait as a peace offering to the Mayan fish gods!!!!!!!

I want to share with you one fabulous living the dream fishing day. We head out to the other side of the cut in the reef and are catching a good mix of fish on live sardine baits. We are catching one after the other� in the distance we see the birds diving and feeding on scraps of bait fish in the water, and the ocean boiling and churning with the sardines leaping out to avoid the huge school of horse eyed jacks ON A FEED. What a sight. We are in the battle of battles, fish eating fish, birds eating fish, wait a minute, let us get in the frenzy and let's feed some folks. We cast out live bait and bang! We are into huge fish. We bring one to the boat and leave them by the boat then we hook into another monster and we repeat the same routine� hook a fish, hold fish near the boat. As the other fish follow the boat, we catch them. We do this for an hour holding part of the school around the boat� and we are beat. Lots of work. We caught MANY MANY HUGE FISH. ALL WERE SHARED WITH SOME LOCAL FOLKS WHO LOVE FISH BUT CANNOT AFFORD TO BUY THEM!!!!! We head home early as the fast action gave us a workout and we are very tired and need to eat lunch!!! Every day was a good fishing day with different types of fish and lots of laughs and memoirs of a lifetime. All my fishing was booked with my buddy Steve at fishingsanpedro.com. He brokers for ten local guides who are the real deal captains here. A good bet is a fishing/snorkel/beach/bbq� a true full day of living the dream. At a price less than half what you would pay in the states.

I will share some food reviews.

First was a revisit north to Portofino resort. Their boat picked up our group at the dock for the free trip to this fabulous resort and great restaurant a few miles up north. We had not been back in a year, sorry to say. It was a quick trip as we did not have to stop at every hotel to pick up and drop off people. The stars were out and we had the most romantic night to start out our gourmet experience at this gem of a resort. This is one beautiful place, lit up at night by torches for effect� it has tropical paradise written all over it. We dined outside with the candles blowing in the wind, the gentle sea breeze. Perfect atmosphere for a wonderful time. The food was sensational, delicious fresh made bread, appetizers that on a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest for the best, they were are an eleven! Yes, that good! Wonderful service. The main courses like black and blue steak USDA.came out perfect as ordered. My lobster Newburg was outstanding and chock full of lobster, served in its shell, covered in an out of this world sauce. All the fish was fresh caught. The side dishes that came with the meals were outstanding. Everything was perfect! The meal ended with homemade desserts that where sinful, and way too much in the calorie department after too much to eat too much to drink. Great bar� warm caring service from the local folks who help bring back people year after year to Ambergris Caye. They are just best of the best. We were all sorry to leave. We had our boat takes us back to town. All in agreement that this place is still a must try place for locals and tourists alike. On my top ten list. Try it you will agree. It is the real deal...my kudos go out to the resident owners Jan and his wife Sandra, and staff. Thank you for an evening to remember!!!!

Another super experience was had at a new restaurant. It is a place called Christios, a new Greek restaurant that open up in the old Taste of Thailand house. This small intimate Greek bistro was an idea shared by two partners and one of their Greek husbands who likes to cook. The team does a nice job with the traditional dishes and appetizers like tzatziki, humus, and eggplant dips, real Greek salad, real Greek breads, outstanding lamb and chicken dishes, and outstanding homemade Greek moussaka. All the food was delicious. This nice cozy place will be a hit. The prices are very, very good. Great for lunch or dinner. A nice place to try for lunch or a good night out as they have a full bar, very small so a reservation is a must.

The third review is Beach and Kitchen. Kathy runs this wonderful quaint establishment. She serves a breakfast that is worth the trip over the cut. It is a hop, skip, and a jump from the bridge on the main road next to the palapa bar. The brunch on Sunday had favorites like stuffed French toast, with banana forester sauce. eggs benedict, plus all the real breakfast meals you get at a diner back home. Fresh three-egg omelet's, home fries, wonderful crisp bacon and homemade sausage, homemade bakery muffins and hot breads. All cooked to perfection by sweet and lovable Kathy, owner cook/chef. Their lunches with daily specials make this a must-try place as all the food is fresh and delicious. Their salads are big and she will make you any combination of greens, meats, and cheeses you could possibly want, all with homemade dressing, or just a plain tuna on rye if that's what you crave. This place is a breath of fresh air a wonderful place to dine on simple homemade fare. If you live or staying north or travel north stop by, you will love it�.

This is just a quick food and fishing report, sorry but the time has just flown by as I am very busy at work,yes I do still show up??? and traveling the world� trying to live the dream�..But my wish one day is to call San Pedro my home!!!!!!!

56 lb caberra snapper that my nephew craig landed outside reef [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by captjeff; 11/23/07 02:27 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
Sounds yummy, Capt! Thanks for posting!

OP Offline
TQ MY LOVE, YUMMY IS GOOD .

BEAUTIFUL PICS CAPTAIN.

THE FISH LOOKS NICE ESPECIALLY THE SNAPPER,MMMMMMMM.

OP Offline
Big snapper .we hook lots but land few..they do not like to be caught...Fight hard this is one monster.took one hour to catch .

Last edited by captjeff; 11/23/07 10:12 AM.

Capt! Who's that hotty, Ben Affleck???? Yummy for sure! wink

OP Offline
TQ your ,bad, bad ,bad..BUT AGAIN IT IS GOOD TO BE BAD !!!

Great report Jeff

Man those are some big fish. Hard to imagine reeling that kind of weight in.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

sweet pics and report capt!!!

OP Offline
Thanks marty , love ya guy...thanks taco . Taco the big snapper bite hard, but we do not land them as we fish with l2 lb test!!! The big snapper hit a yellow tail that was used for bait and craig used 50 lb test line with wire leader. and a big hook ...Taco I think we hook lots of the big ones we think we are stuck on the coral ,and yank our poles and the line snaps and they just swim away ??? with a grin ..???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.