Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260010 12/16/07 10:46 PM
T
Timwit Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Our doctor is suggesting that at the very least we vaccinate against Hep A, Hep B and take anti malaria medication because we are coming to Belize. What are other people finding? We will be staying on CC for 2 weeks which leads me to be less interested in the anti-malarial drugs but we will be doing day tours inland. Of course here in Canada most medical services are covered by the government but here's a chance for the dude to make some extra money from me.

I'm not a big fan of vaccinations but I don't want to be idiotic about it either.

Timwit #260013 12/16/07 10:54 PM
What time of year are you coming to Belize? If it is in the dry season, I would not worry about the malaria. If you are coming in the rainy and are staying inland I would consider it, but just day trips? Probably not. Hep A and B are good to have no matter where you live if you get them for free. Just my .02

dabunk #260018 12/17/07 01:25 AM
If you choose not to be an idiot, then of course, you will take your TwinRix.

Besides TwinRix, really doesn't have that much to do with Belize . .and it will carry you anywhere you choose to go for the next number of years.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

seashell #260023 12/17/07 07:14 AM
C
C
A and B for sure, make sure you have enough time to get both shots. I live on Caye Caulker and dont think Malairia is a must, I have seen more than a few tourist have their vacations ruined because of the side effects and in the 7 years I have been here have never heard of a case of Malaria, unless you are doing other traveling.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Cooper #260035 12/17/07 09:58 AM
I agree, If you live on this planet you should be concerned about Hep A and B. But I've lived in Belize 20 years and never had or know anybody with Malaria and the side effects of the malaria Meds. are bad on the liver , save your liver damage for more fun things.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #260147 12/18/07 09:00 PM
S
S
I'd get the Hep A and B vaccine just as a matter of general health. I'm a teacher and was required to get both so I could teach.

When I visited Belize (AC in particular) in April 2007, I took chloroquin just as a precaution since I couldn't afford to be sick with malaria when I came home. Others with us didn't take it and they have so far been fine. I think it's personal preference. I've been told that it's a bit more important to take it if you're staying or spending LOTS of time in the jungle. Otherwise it's your call. If you're a blood donor check into when you can donate after returning. In the states it's 1 year.

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)
seaexplore #260436 12/22/07 12:38 AM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Elbert - I've had malaria, tho' in Africa not here.

I can't see why people should be particularly concerned with contracting hep B, because making a few lifestyle choices will prevent the possibility. But as the vaccine is bundled with hep A and that is absolutely vital then by all means - have them both. You don't want hep A. Believe me, I've had it - you absolutely don't want it. But don't forget that the vaccinations do NOT make you immune - they only reduce the likelihood that you'll contract it. When I contracted hep A I had been vaccinated with gammaglobulin but I caught it anyway. Just as with malaria you still need to watch out for the causes of these illnesses and actively avoid them.

Another that's not been mentioned - make sure your tetanus jabs are in date before you come.

I can never give blood, in Europe or the USA. It's not just a question of what you catch but how badly you get it.

#260451 12/22/07 09:08 AM
J
J
While Hepatitis B is a blood born/sexually transmitted disease, therefore harder to catch than Hepatitis A, leading a clean lifestyle doesn't guarantee you won't get it. Lots of people out there are carriers. My kids were in a martial arts class with kids that were carriers. When kids start doing martial arts, there is going to be some blood, no matter how good the instructors are. Same with any kind of first aid you may be called on to do.

In the States, Hep A & B are bundled only for adults. The combined vaccine is only approved for those over 18. Kids in Iowa have to be vaccinated against Hep B to go to school. I'm guessing in a few years, proof of immunization will be required for Hep A as well.

Gammaglobulin isn't near as good a vaccine as the Hep A vaccine that is now on the market.

JeanH #260465 12/22/07 02:41 PM
Lots of people like to get manicures and pedicures while on vacation too. Another good reason to get the Hep B.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

seashell #260484 12/22/07 04:51 PM
I agree it is wise to get the vaccinations however I am not recommending them because you are going to Belize. Read this link for many reasons...

Also, the shots are series spread apart so start months prior to your travel

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/110240/fpart/2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.