Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#26025 09/11/00 05:33 PM
E
elisa Offline OP
OP Offline
E
My husband and I just returned from Ambergris Caye and San Pedro.We had a wonderful time....but..and this is a BIG BUT.
During our stay I saw many skinny dogs.They did't look the healthiest but they were friendly and playful.I love animals and I was disgusted to find out that resort's ,Ramons is one of them, actually pay a price of $100bz for having a dog killed.He said they're doing this because they're sick of having dogs around the resorts. I was told this by my local guide who's also a animal lover.I think this is a horrible way to handle it.My guide also told me that many locals likes to get a puppy but then kick the dog out on it's own when it's grown..I also witnessed a group of kids that had a pitbull mix dog,encourage the dog to attack a much smaller and sick dog just to see them fight..the smaller dog escaped but with it;s ear half torn off..I'm horrified..and now when I think of Belize I think of the poor animals and the animal abuse.What do you think?

#26026 09/11/00 06:13 PM
My husband was noticing the dogs full time, dogs are his first love in this world.
We did note, that the local dogs, would latch onto the tourist, and would stay with them, sleeping by their hotel room doors, and one man found a dog in his room sleeping by his son's bed. We noted the tourist shared their BBQ food with the dogs. We also noted the dogs appeared very happy. One big dog was the cutest and he was at Ramon's playing in the sea, and with people. We loved the way the dogs mingled with everyone, and were free to roam, just like the people. Pets in the US are usually over weight, from well meaning owners over feeding them. Don't worry too much, those dogs and cats are happy, and friendly.

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 09-11-2000).]

Dare To Deviate
#26027 09/11/00 06:36 PM
Elisa.....this is a topic I am also fervent about. I moved here last November and was immediately aware of the difference in the way people think about animals here. It was worse in Mexico. I don't think it is done deliberately out of hatred....people here have just been raised differently about animals. I am a cat lover.....had 6 in the states and brought 2 of those with me.
Imagine my shock when I found out catfood runs about $12 bz for a 3.5 lb bag!!! Worse yet....cat litter....if you can find it aint cheap either. They always have the Scoop kind...which I hate...for anywhere from $14 bz to over $30 bz depending on what size box you buy. I prefer the regular clay litter which is pretty cheap....they just don't always have it. Of course, I use sand when I have to....but it is worthless and don't absorb a damn thing....LOL
Anyway...back to the animal issue....a lot of people here are struggling to make ends meet....they will feed themselves before they feed a dog. The dogs and cats are left to fend for themselves and hope they find a trashcan with treasure or a sympathetic tourist who will always give them a handout.
That is why they hangout at the resorts....because they know it is a sure bet. Some of the animals I've seen....NEED to be put down....no animal should have to suffer like that. I don't agree with shooting them or poisoning them. Just put them to sleep....humanely.
I've gotten used to the situation now....although I still don't like it....I realize I can't save all these poor animals...no matter how much I'd like to.
The local Vet here is doing what she can to tend to the animals here....very nice lady...and we are really fortunate to have her. Maybe if everyone got together and chipped in, we could start a fund....call it the San Pedro Animal Rescue Fund or something. At least spay and neuter the animals so the population doesn't grow any more.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

#26028 09/11/00 06:41 PM
When there are too many dogs, someone has to do something.

I used to live in the country in Oklahoma when we were kids, and we had a couple dogs dumped in our acreage every month.

It would have been nice to feed them and take care of them, but we were overwhelmed. So we killed them. This was 1970, and it was 50 miles to an animal shelter.

Maybe we were cruel, I don't know.

#26029 09/11/00 06:45 PM
Elisa,
Belize is still a developing country in many respects, and as such does not have all of the cultural "niceties" in place that we have grown accustomed to. In every U.S. community you will find similar circumstances..we just don't spend our time in those areas, and as a result don't see the stray animal problem.

This in particular, is an island where the prime concern is health care for the population, which is still somewhat lacking, but constantly improving. Very few of the island dogs live past two or three years old, which we found very troublesome, until we took a step back and looked at the larger picture. Essentially, where should this emerging society place it's priorities? With the health and well being of the populace, or developing an animal control program replete with the "sophistication" of our own? We know a retired vet who lives on the "rock" most of the year, and his efforts have helped a great deal, but again there are those pesky "priorities" and funds.

Belize is not alone in this circumstance, most of the Caribbean islands have the same situation in one form or another. If you had found some of the local living circumstances, that we have become familiar with, perhaps the outlook would change a bit. Like any place in the world, (and we've seen a lot of it) regardless of the romantic or economic appeal, there are warts. Please do not let the plight of the "island dogs" completely color your perception of this wonderful little place. The developing infastructure, such as it is, does not support, everything that we've become used to.

(O.K., Elisa you've hit one of several nerves but it is well taken. My reputation as a curmudgeon perhaps will not recover from a lapse into philosophical sensitivity)

God bless and be sure to come back. If you don't we'll miss you.

#26030 09/11/00 07:11 PM
Not cruel Marty...sometimes it is a necessity. I'd rather put them down than know they are starving....I can't stand to see anything starve.
My mom always said I had a Vacancy sign outside my house for stray cats....LOL It's true...if there was a stray within a 50 mile radius of my house it would find it. And of course I would feed it and keep it. Got so bad people started calling me the "Cat Woman"...LOL I eventially had to get rid of some of them....adopted them out and ended up taking some to the humane society. Just couldn't keep up with the food bills.
I feed everything here...when I can...sometimes you can only do so much though.

ChooChoo...you'd make a good writer....very deep....I had to read that twice to get the full meaning....LOL I'm a little "slow witted" at times myself....LOL [Linked Image]

#26031 09/11/00 08:27 PM
WOW our Choochoo has a huge loving heart. Of course, I kinda figured that before, because we can always read how much he loves San Pedro, his Rock.

Dare To Deviate
#26032 09/11/00 10:37 PM
M
M
I agree that there are many places in the world where the treatment of animals is not as "humane" as in the U.S. or Canada, etc.
We, (i.e. two couples), went to the Cook Islands (in the South Pacific) for three weeks in February/March this year. The stray dog population is quite bad there. Motor scooters are the most popular form of transportation there and accidents are frequent, caused (we heard) by stray dogs running in the road, and people swerving to avoid them.

Anyway, while we were there, a very cute puppy "adopted" us at the beach house we were renting. She was a doll! Flea ridden, and scared if you tried to step over her, (she would cringe), but she was a cutie.

She was scratching so much from fleas, that we took her to the island vet (a very nice Doctor who was spending four months there, with no pay). She was from Portland, Oregon.

She gave the puppy a shot of Advantage (cute commercial), and told us that the week before we arrived, a youg, new policeman (trying to show his boss that he had the "right stuff"), took seven dogs to the elementary school, got the children rounded up and said, "This is what happens to your dogs when you take them to school or when you let them run loose".

Then he hung the seven dogs in a tree until they were dead.

We brought the puppy to Canada with us (which was NOT an easy feat). She now resides in Surrey, B.C., Canada. (I wonder if she misses the beach.)

Did this dog hanging incident colour our experience in the Cook Islands? HELL YES! Now, we are set to arrive in AC on March 4th 2001, and I just read this topic and the other comments. Am I reconsidering coming?

HELL YES!

This is very upsetting to many people, and it upsets the heck outta me. I understand the comments about priorities and that human needs should supercede animals, but it still upsets the heck out of me!

And I don't know what else to say........

#26033 09/11/00 11:00 PM
I can remember a time, not so many years ago, that maybe 20 or more dogs would be in the town square, begging for food. The last time I was there, it was less than 10. Its depressing eating a plate of food with 6 dogs starring ya in the face, now its only 3 dogs. I suppose if ya can't obtain perfection, ya got ta settle for progress. I also can remember late, late at night, these dogs would engage in warfare with each other, running and chasing each other up and down Barrier Reef Drive, barking and a howlering. I felt sorry for those that lived in that vicinity. A couple of times, I had ta make room for the chase.

Gone fishing!!
#26034 09/11/00 11:13 PM
Oh Boy I am going to walk out on this thin limb. We must first and foremost remember we are guest in Belize, it is not our country. We may not like everything there, but we must respect their town and customs, because the people are very friendly and welcome us to share their beautiful country.
What we can do is be kind to the animals, sharing our food with the dogs while we are there and be friendly and playful with them.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.