Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#261319 01/03/08 07:55 AM
O
Oman Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Trying to plan a visit and guide is asking for 10% 'tax' on total price of package. Checking Belize Government site, it is not mentioned.

Anyone with insight that can connect me to "official" information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Oman

J
J
My understanding is that the 10% has to be included in the original price quoted. So don't let them con you!

S
S
By law, the 10% VAT must be included in the price as advertised. That being said, there are still a few businesses around here that add it on after the sale. When you ask them about it they roll their eyes. Check around and find a price you can live with and just make sure the tax is included. No surprises.

"Just another Day in Paradise"
correct SCUBAwalk
Its included in the price.
another illegal stick the tourist get is the credit card use charge.
vendors/merchants sign an agreement, as a condition of the privilege to accept credit cards, they will not add the bank charge to the customers purchase. However its very common to hear you are getting an extra 5% add on to your bill for credit card use.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
In any case, many independent tour guides are not registered for GST and should not be charging the tax anyway.

Adding a credit card charge breaks card rules but is not illegal. I don't know how widespread it is. I know I've never done it, tempting though it may be.

I stand corrected pedro2, Your right its not illegal, just a violation of the merchants contract with the credit card company.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
O
Oman Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks to all. I guess I will be seeking a different guide service. No reason to reinforce the abuse, eh?

Oman

hey elbert, stick with the chimp!!!!!!!!!! wink

P
P
Why Oman? The Guide seems to have acted above board. They gave you a price and said it included tax - which is correct.

We are wondering the same thing about the 10% tax. Some tour websites show a price and at the bottom make it very clear that the 10% tax is added on. I wonder if we are getting ripped off? If a person knows up front that the price is $$$ plus 10% that equals the total. Very confused!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.