Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Government and BWSL Sign Agreement to Construct a New Water System in Caye Caulker

Belmopan - 08 January, 2008

Prime Minister of Belize and Minister of National Development, Rt. Hon. Said Musa, and Chairman of the Board of Directors for Belize Water Services Ltd. (BWSL), Mr. Norris Hall, today signed an agreement to install a new water system in the village of Caye Caulker. Under the agreement, Government will provide $ 1.75 million while BWSL will provide $ 608,000 to fund the new system which is estimated to cost $ 2.3 million.

The scope of the project includes the purchase and installation of a 500 cubic meter reverse osmosis plant, the construction of a 100,000 gallons ferro concrete storage tank, 7.5 miles of PVC distribution and main lines, 500 service connections with meters, two sea water supply wells and one brine disposal well, along with the power supply, standby generator, pumps, controls and other accessories. The project will also fund the supply and installation of an underwater crossing to ensure that water is accessible to the north side of the island. Apart from designing and contributing financially to the system, BWSL will implement the field work, and manage the Caye Caulker water system when it is completed.

Over 1500 residents and the numerous tourists who visit Caye Caulker will benefit from this project which will ensure that the village has reliable access to potable water. The new reverse osmosis system will replace the existing system that provides water from a shallow well, but which can only be used for washing and bathing due to contamination of the ground water well that is currently used. The provision of potable water to Caye Caulker is evidence of Government's support for the continued development of the tourism industry as Caye Caulker is a growing destination for tourists. This decision is also in line with Government's National Poverty Elimination Strategy and Action Plan 2007-2011 which aims to increase the percentage of Belizeans with access to piped and potable water from 89 % at present to 100 % by 2015.

Work is expected to begin immediately with the ordering of the reverse osmosis plant, and the whole system will be completed within 15 months.

Additional information about the Caye Caulker Water Project can be obtained from the Ministry of National Development at 822-2526/2527 or from BWSL at 202-0128/0376.

C
C
Its good to see that the GOB is finally taking seriously the desperate water situation on Caye Caulker and health conditions. This isn't something that just cropped up a couple of months ago. Water has been a problem for many many years. We are running out of water. Last year was difficult for all the island residents, formerly sweet wells going bad, no water or stinking nasty brackish water in our wells and it was a particularly dry, dry season from February until May.

Amazing that they announce it right before the election!

sol Offline
Yes, definitely it's amazing how this project has just been approved right before the election comes on action, what a surprise, anyways it's a good news for all of us who resides in our beautiful island and had this water problem from even before the 20 years i'm living on this island.

It's a pitty that the goverment or whoever in charge, finally take interest in this matter. But anyways as a resident of caye caulker i apreciated very much that this project has finally come to agreement, now i hope that after the elections finish this project come to an end regardless of what political party came out of the election (i'm neutral, no red or blue or black, no special color for me but i'm with the one that always do the best for our country and specially my island.

T
T
Does anyone have any more recent news as to the progress of the new water system on C.C.? Just wondering since it is 5 months later if things are still progressing and if there have been any further updates.

C
C
The well was drilled and capped. Things were delayed a bit because of TS Arthur, but BWS plans on hiring a local work force and sending the heavy equipment out to the caye in the next couple of weeks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day