Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#262687 01/12/08 08:34 AM
OP Offline
Can anyone give me the name/# of the agency in charge of issuing medical licensure in Belize?

I am a US physician planning to move to Belize. I would like to start the process now as I'm sure it will take some time for approval.

Thomas Blackledge, M.D.
601-849-1918

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
C
C

I would contact the Director of immigration at' 011 501 822 2611 , You may want to find out if they will allow you to practice here. They should also have answers to your questions.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Cooper #262694 01/12/08 09:33 AM
Ministry of Health 011 501 822 2325
Ministers office 011 501 822 0589

S
S
Hi. I'm also looking into retiring abroad, or maybe continuing telemedicine part time to a clinic or two in the States. May I take advantage of what you've learned about getting licensed in Belize?

...and take away a job? there is paranoia about that..

...however...if you really are a shrink...might be a good place to come! wink

Belize is in need of psychiatrists and psychologists. You may find it easier to get licensed here, if that is the case.

OP Offline
"You may find it easier to get licensed here, if that is the case."

Need has NOTHING to do with licensure.

Belize has a "protectionism" attitude toward licensure for pretty much all work permits / licenses and especially the medical license.

Example: there is an anestesiologist who has been living on the island as "common law" wife of another local physcian for six years or more. She has been repeatedly denied a license for "private practice". According to her husband she will soon complete some addition requirements to finally get her license.

The thought is that if Belize allows first world country doctors in to practice that all the people would rush to them and not use "Belizean" doctors. This certainly would NOT be the case but that is the thought process. The local doctors have a good reputation and I'm sure most do a great job. Just because I'm from the US doesn't mean that all of docor Dan's patients will leave him and come to me if I were there. I'm sure none would! He is a well liked and well respected doctor that NEEDS some help. I'm willing to help him but I currently cannot.

I was recently granted a license to practice in Belize only on a voluntary basis and only in a public facility and not a "private" facility even if I'm willing to volunteer in that private facility.

The plan was for me to volunteer at Dr. Dan's in order to give him some occasional time off. Currently when he's off or out of country his patients in need of OB services for labor / delivery must go to the mainland.

Well, at least I have made a small step toward my ultimate goal of obtaining a medical license for "private practice" in Belize.

If you plan to volunteer in a public entity only then it's just a matter of presenting all the requirements to the Secretary of the Medical Counsel. The counsel meets once a month or so and will consider your application once completed at the next meeting. The documentation is rather extensive as you'd expect so it takes some time to get all your certified copies of diplomas, boards, USMLE, criminal back groung check, ect., ect.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
I am referring to the need of all of the country of Belize. There is only one psychiatrist for the whole country.
I don't believe Dr. Gonzalez is worried about losing patients.
He could sure use help ,he rarely sleeps the whole night and there are many patients who are unable to pay that go to him.
Are you an OB/GYN ?
There are five other doctors in practice in San Pedro. They all deliver babies, as well as the midwives.

OP Offline
Again Natalie.....NEED has NOTHING to do with granting of licensure.

The example I gave represents that. There is no anestesiologist on the island and there is certainly a NEED for one but the one that has lived on the island for six years or more still has no license.

I don't think "all" the other doctors on the island routinely deliver babies or offer prenatal care. I may be wrong as I've only met with Dr. Dan but I get the impression he is the only one that routinely does. I also met with his midwife and she told me she was "semi-retired" but she seemed to work more now than before. You may have been who I met at Dr. Dan's????? I'm sorry I'm so bad with remembering people's names.

I practice OB and a general practice similar to Dr. Dan but I see more pediatrics than he does. Most of my practice is OB and pediatric.

Here's a link to my web site.

www.medicalcenterforyou.com

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 08/29/08 09:53 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.