Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
Definitely won't be eating one!!!

Live Laugh Love
Tastes pretty good if you can get past the idea.

Gibnut and Armadillo are both new culinary treats I have had the pleasure to try in Belize. I'm of the mind that if you eat dead animals, which I do, the way they look alive has little to do with what they taste like. Lobsters are nothing but big sea bugs, but boy do they taste good. Conch are nothing but big slugs. Just make sure that if you are eating Gibnut that you keep an eye out for pellets or shot. When eating Armadillo, make sure that someone who prepares it knows what they are doing as they have nasty little glands that need to be removed.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

C
C
Well when you put it that way...yes I love lobster, fish, steak, shrimp etc...it is getting past the idea. Thanks for the info though!

Live Laugh Love
bambi burgers, frogs legs, yes, the list goes on... cute, cuddly and yummy in your tummy.

J
J
Please tell me it is not normally a menu item at eateries around SP??!!

you might see it, along with cow foot soup, ox tail and other Belizean delicacies that sound gross to you. Cultural differences are part of the pleasure of traveling. Experience it, or not, but don't judge it till you've tried it!

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/262600/gonew/1#UNREAD
If you have never been to AC, then let me at least tell you that ther is one supermarket (mostly overpriced IMO), and many interesting little shops with more local produce. Of course Rice & Beans are popular & cheap - I love them made with coconut milk. Also, delicious Avacodos for guacamole when in season!
Key Lime pie is like apple pie in the States. Every cook has a delicious one with recipes from grandma! Also a variety of local flat bread/ totillas, fruit and fish are easy to find.
I also love fishing, snorkeling and then beach bar-b-q with the fresh fish...mmmmmm
If you don't fish,Ask wherever you are staying if they know where to get the fresh fish or even delivered to you! Sometimes you can hook up with a local to provide you with what you want.

My favorite fish was jack! although many snappers and grouper are more common. We did get our fresh catch cooked by Estelle's Dine by the Sea, any way you want! Our captain would filet and prepare the fish and then we would take it to Estelle and have her fix it up! BTW Estlle's for Breakfast on the beach, sunrise over the Caribbean and feet in the sand with a thermos of coffee and even a good book - perfect!
just walk up & down the main 3 streets and you will find what is available. It is an island and they do run out of things sometimes. Fresh Milk used to be hard to find at times, Marlboros, etc, When they run out you have to wait for the next boat!
The San Pedrano Market was my favorite for prices and friendly.
Places are small so your chefs could actually just ask to speak with the local chefs and you will probably be ableto make new friends.
Belize it!

Last edited by margarita; 01/15/08 04:29 PM. Reason: more info
S
S

The Pig tails Thing, is that just Belize or have you run into that in other parts of the world?
Grocers sell pig tails by the bucket! :-(

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.