Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#263246 01/16/08 09:33 PM
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just a reminder to those visiting...try to take the pictures of the guys doing it and see how upset they get and you'll understand why...

Friday, 06 October 2006

The Forest Department has issued a warning to certain people in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, that it's a crime under Belize law to feed crocodiles in the lagoon behind the town.

There have been recent reports that certain tourist guides have been putting the crocodiles on display for the benefit of tourists, by offering the animals food and then taking them captive when they emerge from the water.

The Department notes that such acts are illegal under the Wildlife Protection Act, Chapter 220 of the Laws of Belize.

The law sets a maximum penalty of $1000.00 for every offence of disturbing, harming or killing any bird or animal protected under the Act.

The law empowers the courts to demand a fine and to imprison the guilty party for a period of six months for every offence.

Feeding the crocodiles which inhabit the lagoon is regarded as a form of disturbance of the natural habitat because the crocs develop a Don't knock the crocs (e) dependency on humans for their food.

This dependency creates a potentially dangerous situation which could lead to attacks on humans by hungry crocodiles looking for food. People who live near the lagoon and others who go to or pass by the area are especially at risk.

The department further seeks the public's assistance in the removal of crocs which stray into populated areas and urges the public to respect the laws that protect the animals and help to preserve human life.

B
B
Unfortunately it still happens on a daily basis. One of these days there will be a real tragedy ala San Francisco Zoo. Only problem is there will be no trial lawyer ready to bring a lawsuit. Wild animals are well....wild. Let them live in peace.....

Please dont get me confused with the Crocs in the lagoon I can still be fed and will perform tricks for tourists for PIZZA, Rice and beans or a good Burger.

I have been told by past girlfriends that I'm a wild animal, wink but I dont beleive I come under the Wildlife Protection Act, Chapter 220 of the Laws of Belize so can be taken captive once I emerge but only by attractive female tourists.

Have a great day

Croc

uh huh. That's just what a croc would want you to believe. Very clever croc, but I'm not falling for it.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Thanks for the public service message Simon. Folks just don't understand that these wild animals are amazingly fast on land. They can launch out of the water at 43 miles per hour and can run 35 miles per hour in short spurts.

Yes it is so facinating to see them up close, but the chances are high that somebody will eventually be hurt. And when that happens there will be a lynching mob going after the crocs, animals that are simply following their base instincts.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Are they still doing it? I've seen no sign of it when I've passed that area for some months now.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
They've been there every single time I've passed in the last month.

Is it true that to avoid getting attacked, if one chases you, you run sorta zig zig /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/?

I am under the impression from watching nature shows that Crocs do not attack on land. Not planning to test that theory though.

If I had a beer for every beer I've had...
S
S
Only if you look like the chicken guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.