Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
This from Ivan Duran at Stonetree Records:

Andy Palacio is in critical condition after suffering a stroke and is being flown this evening to the United States for urgent medial treatment at University of Chicago Medical Center.

His cousin, National Garifuna Council President, Micheal Polonio will be accompanying him and i will be arriving in Chicago tomorrow afternoon.

We are all still in shock with what has happened to our friend and fellow artist that we have not wanted to send a press release until all tests are completed and we know more about Andy's condition.

Right now, the focus is on making sure that Andy gets the best medical attention possible and I want to take this opportunity to thank the
Government of Belize and especially Prime Minister Said Musa and NICH president Yasser Musa for their unconditional support and ensuring that
Andy receives the care he needs.

Prayers are always helpful. Please think of Andy Palacio's recovery.

frown

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

This is terrible news. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Andy is a great guy and talented musician who has successfully been working to bring Belizean & Garifuna music & culture to the world.
http://www.stonetreerecords.com/albums/watina.php

Here's Andy's Myspace Page http://www.myspace.com/andypalacio

Andy Palacio is on life support.

Contrary to reports, Andy has not died, but is clinging on to life in Mobile, Alabama.

Just a few minutes ago, NICH President and friend of Andy, Yasser Musa, confirmed the singer's condition to Krem News.

Andy was flown out of the country yesterday evening on a private jet to receive emergency care at a hospital in Chicago. However, his flight never made it to Chicago. Reports are that he had a medical emergency in mid-air and the jet had to land at the nearest destination, Mobile, Alabama.

Palacio reportedly has been suffering from a cholesterol level above 500. Normal levels are somewhere around 200. Physicians believe this may have complicated his health, and led to blood clots that triggered multiple strokes and a minor heart attack.

It is expected that Andy's immediate family will decide the way forward within the next 24 hours.

Belizeanvibez
www.BelizeanVibez.com
Phone/Text: (310) 895-8369

The most recent from Stonetree:

Dear Friends:

We're deeply saddened to report that Andy Palacio has experienced what was apparently a severe heart attack and is in grave condition. He is currently on life support and the prognosis is not good. We are all hoping for a miracle and that Andy will regain consciousness, but at this point this does not seem likely.

Andy started feeling poorly a few days ago and visited a doctor with complaints of dizziness and blurred vision. On Thursday he began experiencing seizures and was rushed to a hospital in Belmopan, Belize and then on to another hospital in Belize City. The doctors initially though Andy, who was still conscious and communicative at that time, had experienced a stroke, and were even diagnosing multiple sclerosis at one point. At this point, we were all hopeful Andy would recover.

Yesterday, Andy's condition worsened and he began experiencing more seizures. Andy is a national icon in Belize, and the story of his illness has not only been big news there, the Prime Minister has been putting his full support behind Andy's treatment. When Andy's condition started to decline, he was placed on an air ambulance to Chicago where he was expected to get treatment at one of the premier neurological facilities in the country.

En route to Chicago, the plane stopped in Mobile, Alabama to clear immigration. At that point, Andy was unconscious and it was determined that he was too ill to continue on the flight to Chicago. Andy is currently in a hospital in Mobile, Alabama where he is in a coma. His cousin, Michael Polonio, is by his side and Andy's daughters will be arriving shortly .

It is impossible to describe the pain we feel from this unfathomable tragedy. We will notify you if we hear any significant updates on Andy's condition. In the meantime, keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Ivan Duran and Jacob Edgar

We're having a prayer mass at 5pm, hoping that Andy has a very speedy recovery and I would personally like to extend an invitation to everybody to come out and support in solidarity praying that our National Hero, our Brother, our Father, our Friend gets better, gets well as quickly as possible."

The prayer Mass will be held at 5 pm at Saint Martins De Porres Church here in Belize City.

Palacio on life support; flies home tonight
He is a true Belizean hero, a cultural icon whose journey from Barranco Village to international musical stardom was as dramatic as any rags to riches story appearing on the silver screen. But tonight Andy Palacio is in trouble, the kind of trouble from which there is usually only one exit. Tonight, we have the latest update from his family.

Loretta Palacio, Family Spokesperson
"Everybody has a mission and when God knows that your mission is complete...so if Andy's mission is not complete, we will be talking to Andy again so we just have to trust in God, he's a good God and that is where we are at at this point."

Tonight Belizeans at home and abroad are preparing for the worst as this afternoon the family of Andy Palacio confirmed that doctors can do nothing more for the musician. Palacio was placed on life support Thursday night and will be flown home by air ambulance tonight and admitted to Universal Health Services.

The forty-seven year old singer and songwriter collapsed on Tuesday in Belmopan and on Thursday, his cousin and President of the National Garifuna Council, Michael Polonio accompanied a critical Palacio by air ambulance to the United States where additional neurological tests had been scheduled to determine the precise cause of Andy's condition.

Yasser Musa, President, NICH
"They were to go to Chicago but they had to stop in Mobile Alabama because there was a critical emergency as it related to his health and so now we are waiting for this two daughters to come from New York to go to Mobile, meet with Mike and have a consultation with the medical personnel to make a determination as to what is the future."

Word of Andy's fate quickly spread to friends and fans today. President of the National Institute of Culture and History Yasser Musa today called on the public to offer their support to Palacio's loved ones.

Yasser Musa
"The children is what we need to remain focussed on, that is my consideration. The family of Andy Palacio is what is important. We have to remain strong and we have remain determined that whatever comfort we can give to the children of Andy, we will do so and do so with our love because he is our hero and he deserves no less."

At four-thirty this afternoon, the Palacio family addressed the nation at a press conference in Belize City.

Loretta Palacio
"On behalf of Andy's family I would like to say thank you, a big thank you for everybody who has been outpouring with support and prayers via the internet, the phone calls, it's really been overwhelming, handling getting Andy out, last night and plus today, people just showing love and affection. We ask that everybody continue to pray and that will keep us close together as a people because Andy is loved by so many people."

There is still no definitive determination of exactly what struck Andy Palacio down but doctors in Belize and the U.S. continue to assess his medical condition. A mass has been planned for Andy Palacio for tomorrow January nineteenth at St. Martin's DePorres Church in Belize City.

Rafael Martinez, Friend
"I would personally like to extend an invitation to everybody to come out, to come out and support in solidarity. Pray that our national hero, our brother, our father, our friend gets better, get well as quickly as possible."

Adrian "the Doc" Martinez collaborated with Palacio in the Garifuna Collective. Today he used song to ask God to give Andy health and strength.

Adrian "the Doc" Martinez
"I would like people to remember Andy by being a person willing to give of himself to help everybody else. I am sure he would like me to step to the forefront and do the work because we had had so many discussions, myself and him. Right now I'm at U.B. and I'm studying and that's something he has recognized with me and he tried to keep me as close to possible to him and he had spoken to me about that already you know, he want me to step to the plate as well and to move the music as we go along. So if he's unable to do it, then I guess I will have to pick up the slack."

Yasser Musa
"Just last year we saw the phenomenal rise of Watina and how we became overwhelmed with joy as Andy Palacio showed us that Belize is a great place, not because of politics, not because of ethnicity but because of culture."

"We must be prepared for the worst but we must never forget that it is the artist, the musicians, the crafts people, the writers, the poets, that make us who we are."

Reporting for News Five, I am Janelle Chanona

The Prime Minister has assigned Cabinet Secretary Bobby Leslie to coordinate bringing Andy home and the Government has and will continue to assume all financial costs of his medical care. 2007 was an amazing year for Andy as he received the Order of Meritorious Service from the Government of Belize, was named UNESCO Artist for Peace and earned the coveted WOMEX Award at the World Music Expo for his breakout album Watina.

I met Andy in September and had a wonderful chat with him. What an engaging personality. He was so full of life and song. This really sucks...

C
C
Andy Palacio passed last night at around 9 pm for those of you who havent' heard. What a terrible loss for his family and all his friends and fans and the music world. I love his music so much!! Sad sad sad.
And he was so young to be taken from this world!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.