Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#263586 01/19/08 11:02 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from the Chamber of Commerce:

We have been informed that now Captain's Licenses are required for private boat owners. This, in itself, creates obstacles for our foreign owners that are here periodically, but we have also been told that these licenses will only be issued to citizens and legal residents, but not to any foreigners or even those on Retirement Residency. This should be a major issue for the developers and real estate sales offices, since not being able to drive your private boat in a place like Ambergris Caye greatly diminishes its attractiveness to those that love the ocean and are considering buying here. We have contacted the Port Authority for clarification.

Well i have about a year till i pack up and head down for good. You get em to fix it by then.

I
I
And what about the poor sods already down here?

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." - Douglas Adams
I wonder about the other side of this issue , what could be the intent? Is it an effort to keep those who might not be familiar or skilled from being a nuance on the water?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
If legal residents can get them, what's the problem for foreigners living here? Aren't retirement residents also residents?

Surely only casual visitors will be affected?

#263607 01/20/08 08:47 AM
QRP is no longer considered residents, GOB changed their statues a couple of years ago. They are now considered permanent visitors.

I guess you would have to be out in a boat often to see this issue clearly. Novice boaters crash into the reef dig through sea grass beds, fish dive sites and are a general nuisance. realtor's showing real estate by boat could hire local captains, people wanting to fish could hire local fishing guides and keep the # of persons that are a danger to themselves and others off the water, ....just another side to consider.
Granted this might not be the best way to achieve this goal but probably the intent.

Last edited by elbert; 01/20/08 09:14 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
Diving from private boats are diving with out licensed tour guides on the reef.....OMG I can't express how awful they behave when alone on the reef.

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
If a non-resident can afford to own a boat here, he can afford to employ a qualified captain that knows the waters and how to maneuver around coral.

Last edited by Jesse; 01/20/08 12:50 PM.
JZB Offline
I think the issue here, is if you can afford to own a boat, you can afford the time it takes to prove you know how to operate it responsibly.

People who live here and own a boat realisticaly are not going to hire a captain everytime they want to get to town to buy some groceries, or go snorkeling at hol chan, or diving. Real Estate companies are not going to keep a Captain on staff just to drive their boats. Thats just incredibly stoopid.

Elbert, I've seen people behave incredibly irresponsible on the reef WITH tour guides.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.