Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
hello ladies and gents.

i will be in town starting on jan 31st. i have a home on the island and had a cell phone but the house was broken into a few months back and i think the phone will be gone. do i have to buy a new phone or is there somewhere i can get a temp phone while on the island?

fish

You can rent a cell phone at the BTL office at the international airport. About 5 US per day to rent plus calls.

OP Offline
thanks, ill look into that.

is there a place to rent on the island? i think i want to get to the house and see if its there before i fork it over, lol. also, if i bring my phone, can i switch sim cards and have it work? i have an i phone, i wonder if that would work.

fish

Our friends daughter brought her iPhone down from the States and she told me it works. Will get more information and get back to you if no one else knows on the Island.

L
LJ Offline
L
When we were down a year ago,my ATT phone said BTL on it where it did say ATT.So I think it would have worked but I never tried it,scared of what the roaming charge would have been.

You might want to consider getting a phone before coming if you want a better price.

C's and Sea turtle on middle street sell phones.

I ordered a slightly used Samsung for $10 on ebay that did the trick for us.

LA has also brought 2 phones down which we gave to friends in need of one and they both worked out great.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

OP Offline
hey thanks for the info guys. dabunk, let me know if you find anything further on the i phone working in ac. i am bringing it irregardless as its my i pod too.

tacogirl, i think i have some old cell phones laying around my shop, im going to go see what i can find. if i do find a few how hard is it to get the chips put in them? i heard some prices here but i think its kind of high huh? if im bringing the phone.

also, i see you here a lot and since we are directly talking i thought youd be the one to ask. anything special going on during the first week of feb? we will be in ac in about 9 days. arrive on the 31st. what kind of activities are going on? looking to talk to some expats about taking the plunge. also am going to have a pair of teens with me, anyone have teens on the island. i want to try to get these guys having fun this time, we live a ways outside of town to the south and last time they got bored a bit.

fish

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I think you'll find an iPhone won't work - they've put restrictive software into it to tie it to one provider. Most other phones should work fine with a BTL Digicell sim card. I'd recommend doing it that way as you'll then have a constant phone number whenever you visit.

Remember that BTL don't interpret money credits to a pre-paid phone the same way that most other companies do. Here a credit is valid for a specified period, typically three months for larger credits, and on the date any money you haven't used is confiscated, however much it might be. The more the better from their point of view.

In the UK and so far as I know the US that isn't the practice. There the balance of your credit is good for a specified time after your last use of the phone. "Use" means making a call, sending a message, or crediting more funds. In the UK you don't pay to receive a call (by law) and I'm not sure whether receiving a call counts as "use". I imagine that in the US, where you pay to receive calls as well as to make them (extraordinary business practice, a spam caller's charter) receiving a call would count as "use".

After a lengthy period of non-use, I believe substantially longer than the time referred to above, your number will lapse and you sim card will become a piece of useless plastic. I don't know how long that takes.

JZB Offline
A cell phone needs to be Unlocked before a btl sim can work in it. Usually any phone that is tied to a carrier cannot be unlocked. So if your phone says Sprint, Verizon, etc on it, you will not be able to change out SIM cards.

It is very possible your i phone will work here without changing SIMs (depending on your service provider). The problem will be the charges.

I
I
With T-Mobile you can call customer service to have your phone unlocked. They email you the "unlock" code. It sometimes takes several days to receive, but in my recent experience it only took 24 hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.