Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
We are coming to Belize for the first time in April. Can anyone tell me the type of weather to expect in April and does April
usually have mosquitos? Looking forward to being on Ambergris Caye, it looks like a beautiful place.

There are always mosquitos on AC. Some days they are worse than other days. Mostly they are bad early in the morning, at dusk, and if it's cloudy and no breezes. Always take repellant, with DEET, and wear long sleeves in the evenings. They are worse on the leeward side of the island, too.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
I
I
I've discovered that repellant products containing Picaridin, like Cutter Advanced work really well. It has only been aproved in the U.S for a fairly short while, but has been used widely in other areas of the world. It isn't as nasty as DEET (doesn't melt things) and has a more pleasant smell. I've used it in Roatan where the mosquitos and sand fleas are fierce. I'm not a bug magnet like some but even friends who are seem to do well with the Cutter.

JZB Offline
Hi bigmike! Looking forward to meeting you in April. April is a great month. Usually hot and sunny being in the middle of the 'dry' season. Mosquitos aren't usually a problem in April but there is a chance you might run into pica pica in the water. Pica Pica doesn't affect everyone but those who are affected get annoying red itchy bumps. You can do a search on this board for more information on pica pica.

If we do get a passing shower in April and the wind suddenly dies out, you will probably see some mosquitos and sand flies. It is best to come prepared just in case!

B
OP Offline
B
Hi JZB,
Looking forward to meeting you to. Thanks all for the info,
We are looking forward to staying at your Island Cottage and enjoying the snorkeling there.

R
R
Originally Posted by Islenutt
I've discovered that repellant products containing Picaridin, like Cutter Advanced work really well.

We are devoted users of Cutter Advanced with Picaridin. Last February in Belize our family of four had ZERO problem with bugs. And I am a bug magnet. Also picaridin is perfectly safe to use on small children, babies, etc. That's why it's so much better than DEET for us. You can find it online at REI.com, etc.

I
I
It looks like REI is out of the spray Cutter Advanced online. It was recently on sale and I think I bought all they had!
I'm sure you would be able to find it at other sporting goods or outdoor stores...

Just looked again and they have limited quantities of the Cutter Advanced Sport spray.

Last edited by Islenutt; 01/26/08 12:06 PM. Reason: More info
R
R
hi big mike..I agree with JZB April is a great time to be there. we will be there again in April for our 4th time and we have always had great weather and have not bumped into a single mosquito!cheers Renee

I will also have to say April is a great time to visit AC. I never had a problem with bugs even while in the "bush" at Al Tun Ha. The only problem I encountered was for a very short time on the boat trip up the river getting there. I was also warned about the Pica Pica but never had a problem with that either, I was told if you go out on the reef, go out early in the A.M. and when the tide is going out. I guess it worked because I never itched the whole wonderful 21 days we where in paradise. Hope you have a great time.

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for their information, we are certainly looking forward to exploring and enjoying our stay in Ambergris and San Pedro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.