Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
our family is coming to ambergris in march- 3 teenagers. We love to snorkel and fish. We want to go to places ourselves and not take the touristy tours. (we will take a few) We are staying at a private condo 1/4 miles north of the bridge/cut. Where do you suggest we snorkel where we can wade right out in front of a particular resort or beach? My husband likes to wade right out or fish off of a dock where would you suggest? If we take the ferry over to Caulker Caye, what should we make sure not to miss there? What beaches would you not want us to miss? We are not planning to go to the ruins (we have done that in Mexico many times). Not sure about Hol Chan- cost? We are really about relaxing, and grilling outside our condo and getting a lot of sun and warmth. (It's below zero here in North Dakota). We also like to eat where the locals eat, instead of the tourist resorts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One of the tours I would suggest you look at are the Bacalar Chico day trip. It goes all the way around the island, taking the channel between Mexico and Belize. There are three snorkel stops and a beach barbeque. You might also like the catamaran to Caye Caulker trip, with 2 snorkeling stops, and time for lunch and some shopping on Caye Caulker. Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley are very much worth the time and money. Not a lot of great snorkeling from shore, but off the ends of some of the piers there are things to see.

//ambergriscaye.com/maps/art/Poster1bmed.gif
Mexico Rocks my favorite
Tres Cocos also fun
San Pedro Cut / Channel for strong swimmers
Hol Chan at Night - IMO cost for Hol Chan is small for what you receive - it is a special area that is one reason why it was chosen
If you have a private captain Snorkel on the trip to & fro Caye Caulker lots of cool spots & corals.
Some sea grass areas along shore - footwear is suggested for protection from urchins etc.
Golf cart trip along the beachfront road to find resorts & docks for snorkeling & refreshments
We would hire a captain go fishing until hot, then snorkel then shore lunch BarBQ then more fishing, snorkeling and filets taken to be cooked as desired!
Belize it!

You sound like the kind of folks who know how to enjoy AC best : )

There is a little bit of "snorkel off the beach" at Ramon's pier. But to really enjoy the reef fully, do the tours to Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley, etc. Alfonso Graniel is a fantastic guide. Very knowledgeble, safety concious and LOTS of fun. Your teens will love him.

There are so many wonderful and varied places to eat. You can walk down the streets in San Pedro and find little shops with local flavors. Chicken stews, burritos, seafood, cocoanut rice, YUM! I highly recommend AliBaba's for Greek and you have to try the beach BBQ at BC's (Sundays) or Holiday Hotel (Wednesdays).

Talk to the locals and tourists alike, you are gonna love this place!

Try Papies Dinner, it will be to your left just back across the bridge a little ways. Another good local hangout is on down that street by the statue and the 2 grocery stores is a local favorite called Los Cocos I believe, very small place alot of locals get carry out there. Just ask the locals & they will tell you where to go. Unfortunately most of the best snorkel spots are only reachable by boat.
Water Taxi is at Tackle Box Pier to C.C., Lunch at Rainbow over the water & head down to the Split to swim & snorkle & enjoy the veiw & hit a few shops on your way back to the W.T. dock. makes a great afternoon trip.

Last edited by J DOG; 01/29/08 01:56 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
thanks everyone, can't wait to be in AC.
Belize it!

R
R
what is going on with papies Diner? The last 3 x's weve been done his hours were very sporatic. There were times he wasnt open for days. We heard that he was in some kind of financial trouble and that his kids were trying to keep it afloat. Anyone know? We really enjoyed his food the times we were able to get it.

us too, ren - we stayed just north of the cut in aug and nov, and never once saw papi's open!

if you drive a mile north of where you are staying, beach n kitchen makes good breakfast, and now i hear dinner too. waruguma 2 is just south of the bridge on the right - look for the green/blue stall with a bbq out front and handwritten signs. great food (huge lobster burritos, peppery ceviche) for taking back to the condo.

if you go to sunset grill on lagoon side for lunch, they feed the baby tarpon for you. (ask to see the "belizean pirhana") teens would think it's pretty cool. smile they make gooood conch fritters.

i'll leave snorkel info to those who know better. hey, didn't seashell say they took the stairs off the dock at ramon's??

You can't miss Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley, well worth the money! I agree with snorkelgirl, do the day trip to Caye Caulker that way you get to snorkel and visit the island which is very different that Ambergris Caye.

My dh and I did the Hol Chan Sting Ray Shark Alley tour without the stop to Caye Caulker... with Lil Alphonse. Cost $25 plus $10 for the park plus tax. pp.
See my trip report for some pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marty), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.