Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
H
H
at the end of the day it's all about numbers, and numbers don't lie...
I guess time will tell....Still miss the good ole days though,the old coconuts bar,boatyard,paradise hotelbar,tarzans etc.

"chain hotels"....I don't think such foul language is appropriate on this message board!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
My question is "how are these tourists going to get here?"
Do they think these "high end" investors are going to come on a boat; Tropic Air flies full almost all the time now.

My daughter's friend had a lengthy conversation with Jeff Pierce (the developer of Reef Village) at Coco Locos Bar about the South Beach project. His take on it was that someone is going to do it why not him.

Reef Village has laid off the majority of their workers. I don't know if it is because money is short or if they have diverted the work south. Reef Village has been grading the road from the north end of their project to the bridge and it is helping even though they have it banked the wrong way - water does not run uphill!

By the same token Grand Caribe - about 2 1/2 miles north of the bridge - has built monster buildings with lights that blind you when you drive on the road. However, they are grading the road between Milio's project and theirs. Let's see how long it lasts. I was told they plan to keep it in good condition all the way to the bridge.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
the reality is, when one buys here on the island, they are buying a moment in time. we all know that the island will and is changing. there isnt anything to be done, and to think that it wont change, is well, silly. The money hasnt even really started coming yet, but when it does, rest assured, the tourists are going to want to have luxury, at least the way they describe it.

the best thing to do is take a deep breath, watch the changes, and when they are such that you dont like it anymore, you find the next little place that offers what you want. In the meantime, the property values will still increase, and the people will still come.

you do what you can to stop some of the most aggregious events, but other than that...

J
J
As an architecture student and SanPedro local, i´m really impressed by all the developement that´s going on in little A C, however i´m really saddened by the lack of planning or should I rather say, lack of proper executing of drafted Master Plans? Growth is imminent, however proper, planned growth is crucial to ensure econocmic prosperity and the equilibrium of our eco-systems... then again, how can we achieve this when the authorities (GOB) that are to look after the people´s interests have biased interests of their own.
From an architectural viewpoint, the idea of South Beach Belize is really tacky, ridiculous, to say the least.... don´t get
me wrong, the ArtDeco architecture of miami is beautiful, but that´s part of Miami´s History. A project like this would better suit Las Vegas.... projects in AC should be original and reflect the island´s appeal.

E
ERT Offline
E
South Beach is not only an awful concept, it actually incorporates part of Hol Chan! Who thinks that's a good idea? Good for tourism? Sport fishing? Bird watching? Living here? Anything?
Are there any standards here? Anybody to say no? Any kind of plan?
The chaos and acceptance of chaos around here is convincing me to invest someplace else.
I don't understand a government that claims to be an ecotourism destination selling the Bird Cayes and just saying OK to anyone who wants to build a concrete box. I don't understand destroying Hol Chan when it gets more tourists than anywhere else in Belize.
The diving is not what it was 5 years ago or 10. Who wants to bet on 5 years from now? I'm thinking I'm not going to bet my own dollars.

E
ERT Offline
E
Amen to javi226. The key is having a PLAN. Large numbers of people can be employed and accommodated and given sewerage when the growth and development are MANAGED. Charm, cultural traditions, architectural integrity and the natural environment can be MAINTAINED.

I am also aware of good plans developed in the past, but no one in government willing to adopt them. I think that's because if you have a plan, that means you will have to say no to somebody. Maybe even somebody who votes or has money or is in your family.

So we just let another development be built in the wrong place, and in a style that doesn't fit, and that requires tearing out mangroves.

What are they thinking? What are we thinking? We'll just wait and see��

So my question(s) to the developers is this.

Who is going to pay to upgrade the airstrip and the already gridlocked streets next to it?

Who is going to supply fresh water, sewage and power?

Where are all of these buyers coming from?

How are all of these buyers getting here?

Who is going to come visit when the reef dies?

Who is going to pay for upgrading the fire, police and EMS system?

What happens when condo prices nose dive and pre-construction sales dry up before completion?

Why will folks pay higher prices to fly to Belize when the charm is gone and it becomes Cancun South? Unless import laws in Belize change no one can afford to run "All Inclusive" resorts(ugh, I can't believe I just typed that!).

I don't think we as "visitors" will have any pull in stopping or retarding this effort. It will be up to the residents to make enough noise that it is stopped. We visitors could contact the powers that be, Mayoress, the Prime Ministers Office, and re-iterate that we will not be as likely to visit the island if this proceeds. But, whether it makes a difference in the end will remain to be seen.
I know everyone is disappointed at the prospect of South Beach Belize. I am very disturbed by it. But unless we are all willing to make a step towards stopping it, it will become a reality, and what follows will be any one's guess. Perhaps a petition started there, and forwarded to the correct offices? Maybe one started here, on line, and printed off and routed to the powers in control? I don't know the answer, but we need ideas, not just complaints.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
It is already in the works with the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.