Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I am one of those lucky people who get more bites than everyone else. My husband and I were in Mexico in November and I counted over 40 bites on my legs and he had 3. Anyone else as lucky as I am? If so, what repellent do you use that works best???

B
B
A diet heavy in garlic?

Don't laugh, it works !

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Garlic does work. Until then, try OFF! Deep Woods. Aerosol or (better) pump action bottle.

I
I
This is posted on another thread but I'm too lazy to look for it.
Try Cutter Advanced with Picaridin. It works great and doesn't melt your nail polish (and everything else) like DEET. I buy it at REI online or at the store.

The AVON products that contain Picaridin work well also. There are some that include sunscreen for a double whammy.

Ok glad someone bought this up cause I was reading that I need malaria pills when I go to Belize..please tell me it isnt so..

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
For the cayes there's no problem with malaria. Even inland many people don't bother with prophylactics but I wouldn't want to recommend it. Always remember that the only sure way to avoid malaria is not to get bitten.

all of the above are good suggestions. i like to buy cutter and a bottle of 100% deet. then i pour a little deet into the cutter. add more if it is a tough season, less if not. seems to really work too. if all else fails, absolutely bring 2 tubes of benedryl cream (not pills). sh*t works, man.

simon - i can't say i've ever gotten bitten in cayo.

oh, and folks tell me baby oil works well for no-see-ums. AC's sometimes got them too.

My first trip to AC, the sand flies were a bigger problem than the mosquitoes and deet doesn't work on them. We didn't figure that out til after we came home. My legs were peppered with bite marks.

On my second trip, neither was a bother thankfully and we didn't even use repellant.

One of the locals once told me to use RUM! never tried it though..does anyone know if rum works when applied topically?
I know it works when used internally - so that you don't care about them!
I know they like perfumes & fragrances so I go fragrance free..
Also heard if you eat many bananas they will find you, ever hear of that?
Sand fleas were worse for me.
Benadryl is available at the pharmacy.
A good sea breeze will keep the mosquitos down and they are worse at certain times of year than others!
Belize it!

Vitamin "B" helps - dose needs to be on the higher side. Your body will smell like Vitamin "B" tablet (that is negative), but mosquitoes hate the smell and likely will stay away (that is positive).
Also: Skin So Soft diluted 50% with water - nice smell and works OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.