Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
weile Offline OP
OP Offline
Just wanted to ask if any of you know what is going on. The motorcycle traffic on the beach is getting crazy. 10 of them every day, most of them un-licensed (un-insured?). Have had a couple of situations where tourist kids were close to being run over. Two of them are carrying rifle bags on the handle bars.
Also several golf carts on the beach now.
I called the police and reported that guys in camouflage clothes were driving on the beach with rifles on un-registered motorcycles 4.5 miles north, but the police didn't know if 4.5 miles north of S.P. was north of the bridge; and they just hung up on me. When I called back and the commanding officer apologized, I thought that they were interested in doing something; but it goes on and on, also with frequent shooting (hunting) right in our backyard. Maybe it takes a stray bullet to the head of a tourist or a kid run over on the beach before the police cares?

I've been waiting for you to say something . i have a big concern about it as well. Gurrrrrrrrr
These guys are getting dangerous with the speed as well.
I saw the two guys with the guns they are 'hunting ' Mexico rocks area, Thats insane!
also against the law (some times the two go together.)
lets just concentrate on the beach for now if we mix two issues It just doesn't work . I'll file a complaint about the hunters at the station formally.
These guys can use the road the beach is just more fun.
The big dig is no one around to correct the problem , so what I've been thinking is we could find where they switch from the road in back to the beach path and block that. They have to go to the back road at pats house , where do they switch to the front?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I stopped 2 unlicensed motorcycles about 2 weeks ago that were racing the beach. It took the first one 125 feet to stop after I jumped in his path. They were a Creole and a Hispanic guy and they had no mufflers. We almost got into a fight because they refused to go to the road.

Mike Campbell at Xaman Ek has his beach closed off with lumber, so bicycles have to carry their bike over them. Jim and Stan here want to do the same. I'll just wait and see what happens.

Jan

Its against the law to have 'motorized' vehicles on the beach. I understand that and feel the same way about blocking them. but if we block the bicycles we won't have a leg to stand on with the police if they complain. It might be more effective to block the point they cross from the back to the front than block the beach path itself.I think everyone wants folks (non motorized traffic ) to be able to walk the beach with out climbing over blockades.

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
Block it but leave gaps wide enough for bicycle tires to pass through. Motorcycle tires are much fatter so they shouldn't be able to pass.

B
B
If you check into the full extent of the law I think you will find that there is to be no wheeled vehicles on the beach. This includes bicycles. The bicyclists can be almost as hazardous as the motorcycles. Most have little to no respect for guests including children playing and relaxing on the beach.

At the North end of the Journey's End property there is a blockade and a sign that says "no motorozed vehiecles on the beach" (blockade and sign belong to Journey's End)--- a very passable road takes carts off the beach and travels behind Journey's End, passing Rendezvous, Solaria and Las Terazzas. The beach at JE is really very nice - lots of pretty chairs and white sand and it's a lovely spot for their guests.

Here's the rub --- at the South boarder of Journey's End, JE and Las Terazzas have a small fleet carts parked near the beach. These carts are routinely driven back and forth on the beach between Journey's End and Las Terazzas. Primary offenders - LT staff (management especially.)
It's only 200 feet but somehow these folks refuse to walk, and cannot be respectful enough to to drive on the perfectly good road that runs behind these properties ........... which they insist all others use.

Once in a while to do something like this for materials delivery or other kinds of unusual circumstances is one thing - we can all understand that, but this is just plain stupid.

weile Offline OP
OP Offline
The traffic on the beach is getting crazy, and ther is a good road alternative where we are at. I find it scary to see all the motorcycles; and when it now includes armed guys in camo without license plates, it just serves as another turn-off to tourists. I can almost live with the bicycles. Just wish half of them wouldn't be flashing machetes, which looks kinda scary too.

Re. the hunting issue, I have reported this to the police incl. exact desciptions of the golf carts and motorcycles plus the people on numerous occasions, which would make it relatively easy for the police to pick them up by the bridge; but they apparently couldn't care less.

While writing this on my laptop, i just witnessed another motorcycle on the beach. I told him that the police were writing tickets on the beach just north of me (which would of course never happen!). The llittle lie worked and the SOB turned around after threatening me with what-not. So I guess the deal is to lie and tell people that we actually have police here.

Hi Ebbe-
Reservations for dinner tomorrow night please - it's about 300 feet from here to there -- Las Terazzas offered to send a taxi but we think we can walk.
Ciao Dude - seriously love the food.

'easy for the police to pick them up by the bridge; but they apparently couldn't care less.'
I think you've hit the nail on the head Weile
and our little solders don't address this kind of crime so we are really back to square one with the business assoc. assisting us with this problem'.

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.