Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#267321 02/11/08 12:38 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
anyone used the Kindle? just got one delivered today....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA

pretty cool. we'll see how well it works, how readable it is... you can poke books and pdfs and music and txt files and .doc files into it. lots of books and magazines are automatically wirelessly delivered to the unit

mags that are like 10-20 bucks a month you can get for a buck and a half a month. books that are $25 new come on the kindle for $5-9

keeps all your books online too, so if you erase them you dan download them again. has a lil lite as accessory that clips onto it.
------------

Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.
Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindle-whether you're in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.
Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.
More than 100,000 books available, including more than 90 of 112 current New York Times® Best Sellers.
New York Times® Best Sellers and all New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.
Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including TIME, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbes-all auto-delivered wirelessly.
Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Times-all auto-delivered wirelessly.
More than 250 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post-all updated wirelessly throughout the day.
Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.

S
S
Gotta get the San Pedro Daily on there!

Without doubt, the best new item I acquired In the last 12 months was my Sony E-Reader;

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...mp;SR=sony_search_seo&SQS=e%20reader

It appears to be very similar to the Kindle, and I would hope that now there is some competition in the marketplace, online prices will come down. The best feature for me is the enhanced print size (3 sizes available) which lets me read longer than with an average 8 or9pt fonts.

One nice feature of the E-Reader is that when registered with the E-Book store, a free subscription for up to 100 "classics" is offered. Most of us have read, or are aware of James Fennimore Coopers "Last of the Mohicans", but I had never got around to reading "The Pathfinder" or "The Pioneers" from the leather stoking collection, and it's been a while since "Moby Dick" or "The Cherry Orchard", so I'm looking forward to doing some literary catch up!

I also have much of my I pod and many pictures on the E-Reader, and not having to carry 2 weeks worth of large print books each trip down is a big bonus.

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
i just watched the video. this is one cool unit!!

i see it is sold out and back-ordered...i too will wait to see if the price drops over time. funny, i'll spend that for my brat's wii, but not on myself!

C
C
I looked at the Kindle site and it looks great. Does the wireless connection it comes with work well in Belize or how does it work here?

I doubt it would work at all in Belize.

Amazon has an agreement with a US provider. It doesn't cost the user anything for wireless access and they recoup costs by sales of downloads.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
haven't played with it yet, about to. sure is small. i was thinking paper sized and its more like well small. they say 6inches diagonal...

I
I
Unfortunately, there's no EV-DO in Belize - they don't even have GPRS here! The Kindle does look like a fun device, but it's a big for me to consider toting around.

I read ebooks on my Palm Treo and it works great.
The Treo also checks emails, plays music (MP3 etc), creates and edits Word/Excel docs, checks stock prices, has an agenda, notebook, contacts/birthdays, calculator, world clock, voice memos, still/video camera, games, and a gazillion other programs written for Palm devices.

Plus it's a phone...

PS - I would read San Pedro Daily on my Treo, but it doesn't display web pages with lots of frames so great.

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." - Douglas Adams
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
love this thing. replaces stacks of books. excellent reading device. no more, no less.

U
U
Cool device. There is a Belizean connection with it too. I work for the company that supports the network (Security, DNS,Billing) infrastructure for the device.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.