Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
T
Have been emailing both Tanisha (for Lamanai tour) and Searious (for Bacala Chico snorkel tour) for a week and have yet to get a response. Confirmed emails for both, too. Cannot call (my cell phone service for some reason won't allow) and short of buying aphone card, I am trying to post my issue on several travel forums. We are 2 couples going to stay in a fab house (18 degrees latitude) north of San Pedro from Feb 9-16. We will go on some little side trips with the caretake of the property, but looking into the 2 trips indicated above. Has anyone else had trouble reaching Tanisha or Searious? My research shows the 2 trips above are being recommended - using Tanisha and Searious. Thanks loads.

tina
JZB Offline
Don't worry about it. It is a ways off and if they don't answer your emails, you can book those trips when you arrive. Even if you reserved these tours for a certain day, they won't guarantee the tour unless they have a certain # of people.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Do you have a COMCAST e-mail account? It appears that IP addresses in Belize are being blocked by COMCAST (I have confirmed this with COMCAST) and reply e-mails from Belize are not getting through.

Businesses experiencing this problem can go to http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup.lasso to check if their IP address is being blocked.

Hi Tina

I sent you a PM. Have a great trip!

Penny

Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
S
S
Simon-
You have just opened my eyes to why my E-mails are returning,my cable company was recently aquired by COMCAST

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
i have comcast.net and i have emailed people there. SIN gets my emails as does cloisters. is this a newer problem...what gives?

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I only started experiencing the problem in December. The problem seems to be only if your IP address has been associated with a spambot virus. As BTL uses dynamic IP addressing you can end up with an IP address that someone else was using who may have had a spambot on their system. I've checked my system fully and have no issues with any kind of virus so that's the only explanation I can think of. You can request removal from the blacklist database and within a few minutes Spamhuas will try and infiltrate your system, if they can't you come off the blacklist.

It's also only sending TO COMCAST addresses. I had been receiving e-mails from clients asking why I hadn't confirmed their orders (when I had repeatedly.) That was when I did the research and found out the problem.

Simon, your explanation sounds plausible, as the Belize connection (I am not in BZ) was the only reason I could figure out as to why comcast users wouldn't receive my email, even though I could get theirs.

SJ - you may want to check to make sure others who have emailed you aren't waiting for a response (because you didn't get the message).

I had to use a different email address (on the same computer) to get through to comcast users, who requested through Comcast to allow me through. Email to them seems to work ok now.

Scuba - former Insight users in Spfld are not happy with the change either

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I know one ISP in Britain (AOL) that a couple of years ago had a block on ALL mail from Belize. After I complained it took maybe a week before it was resolved satisfactorily - but it was.

You have to understand that spam accounts for an enormous proportion of the load on major servers worldwide. Until they find some way of either preventing it being sent or intercepting it en route I can understand why they want to block IPs that they know produce a lot of it. I read somewhere that most spam (>85%) is produced by about 6 people, mostly in or associated with Russia.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My theory is half right. BTL does use dynamic IP but only within their own network. We all go through routers at BTL before going into the "real" world. That means that we all have the same IP address as far as the spam tracking companies are concerned. It also means that if one computer in Belize has a spambot it can trigger a blacklist for the router and therefore every computer on that router.

I have had the same problem with friends with Comcast. I contacted Comcast and they weren't particularly helpful. Apparently there are a whole host of problems with Comcast's aggressive anti spam programme. Hopefully their customers will make a big enough stink that things will improve. Just google 'comcast email blocking' and you'll find a whole bunch of links to various disgruntled websites.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Looks like Verizon is blocking e-mails from Belize as well.

This may the same or similar problem I have a client that goes to the SPAM folder every time. the Yahoo account I use sees her as Spam.
makes me wonder what triggers an Email as Spam, she's in the publishing business and not selling any of the pest products.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Typically, SPAM can be triggered if the email is unintended and you can change that from her by associating her email as an address you accept.

As for Comcast, we see issues from comcast addresses from time to time here also. I'm not sure what they do, or intend to do, but they seem to operate differently than many other ISPs and it might not be the BTL routers fault at all. I know our issues with Comcast turned out to be something only they could change.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm replying to clients that I've dealt with frequently and all of a sudden they're not receiving reply e-mails, they've checked spam folders so that isn't the issue. Through SPAMHAUS, Comcast has blacklisted the BTL IP address any other providers using SPAMHAUS will also be blacklisting e-mails coming through BTL.

This only applies if you are using an e-mail program (Outlook, Eudora, etc.). If you send through an online account there is no issue.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Are you sure about that last point, Simon? A couple of years ago in England I couldn't receive any .btl emails even though I checked on the web.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Confirmed by myself and another BTL user to work (yahoo, hotmail, gmail.)

Thats even stranger that you (simon) are being blocked to reply emails. I was under the impression that BTL was not allowing some comcast addresses in, but this implies that BTL addresses are either not being routed out, they are being dropped by comcast or whomever.

Since emails from yahoo, gmail, etc go through, it implies something more like a comcast issue. We had problems with comcast earlier this year in that those users could not get to our website, while everyone else in the world could... turned out to be a router config somewhere within comcast intranet structure.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
To clarify, I am in Belize, people can send me e-mails but when I reply they do not get to the original sender. BTL is not blocking incoming, internet providers are blocking BTL outgoing.

I went to Comcast and made an inquiry, they indicated that the e-mails were being blacklisted by SPAMHAUS. I contacted SPAMHAUS, input my IP (which is the same adress as the BTL router) and it showed as being blacklisted. I followed their instructions for removal from the blacklist and it came off but is now back on.

Hope that clears everything up.

Simon you are light years ahead of most of us in understanding how this all works - I kinda understand what you said - but mostly what I get from this is like the timeshare guys --- see a good plce to do business (AC beach, Internet) use it to death and screw it up for everybody including your-own-self.

I have Hughes and I find some days I can send and others I cannot - it's like the server has mood-swings. Any ideas on that ?

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sun spots and moisture content of vegetation (don't know why that is but when I was setting one up I was told to be aware of that) around the dish. Download is affected by both of those as well but not as much as upload. Make sure all the line of site vegetation around your dish is well cut back.

diane, when you say you have hughes....are you talking about hughes satalite service? i did not realize that was available on the island.

on a seperate note and open to all here, has anyone done any video chatting? i am a bit of a mac nerd and i have the i chat feature. im wondering if you can obtain a speed and enough broad band to i chat from ac.

fish

On Hughes net you are only allowed to download/upload 175 MB of info in a 24 hour period. If you excced that, they slow you down to a crawl for the next 24 hours. It is called FAP fair access policy I can tell you how to check your account to see if this is the problem. And yes both Hughesnet and Starband are available in Belize.

If you are on Hughesnet go to this site:

http://192.168.0.1/

that will give you information on your system. There you can tell if you are having transmit or recieve problems. If you click on the upper right hand button, system info, it will give you your site ID. Then you can go to this site:

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frm_usage.cfm

Put your site ID in and you can then check your upload and download consumption for the current and previous month. The only way around the limit is there is unlimited downloadin allowed between 3 AM and 6 AM eastern time. So if you need to schedule a big download, program your computer to start during those hours and it does not count against your daily FAP.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Would like to follow up on this, if anyone has a comcast account can they send me an e-mail at [email protected] and see if they get a response back from me on Saturday.

Cheers,

Simon...

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Got one! Waiting to see if they get the reponse. Thanks.

i sent you one too. if it's any help, i sent and received emails from Tanisha the week b4 last. they had said it took them a while to respond due to their dsl probs, but said it is working now.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the laugh! Just responded.

Simon, we live in the Caye Management building (the popcorn searchers) and are having the same problem, still and from back in Dec. Our clients are not getting our replies. I checked the SpamHaus and the IPs that are listed on my wireless don't come up, but still have the problem from clients in South Africa and East Coast US (Comcast). Any ideas?

A fish on my fly is worth two swimming by.
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I sent an e-mail to a comcast customer yesterday and they received it so it looks like it's working for now. If you go to http://www.speedtest.net/index.php it will show your IP as the rest of the world sees it (probably 200.32.196.56).

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Looks like it's down again, can't reply to a client. Looks like I'm going to have to cough up for anonymizer software.

simon - i hadn't read this till now - but was gonna tell you i never received your reply.

you are welcome to use my email addy for test purposes. good luck.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I wish BTL would realize what kind of impact this is potentially having on business across the country. Nothing like e-mailing a property or business and getting no response. If it was me trying to book and I didn't get a response I'd go elsewhere.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just as an FYI to anyone who has a COMCAST account trying to reach businesses in Belize and who haven't heard back. Try setting up a Hotmail or Yahoo account for your enquiries or call/fax your enquiries.

I
I
Originally Posted by SimonB
I sent an e-mail to a comcast customer yesterday and they received it so it looks like it's working for now. If you go to http://www.speedtest.net/index.php it will show your IP as the rest of the world sees it (probably 200.32.196.56).

BTL uses static IP addresses, as does Coral, so that IP is probably allocated solely to you. I have one that never changes for me.

I've been having trouble using my VPN software lately, so I suspect that BTL are messing around again...

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." - Douglas Adams
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
"BTL uses static IP addresses, as does Coral, so that IP is probably allocated solely to you. I have one that never changes for me." Check a bit more carefully, BTL is set up like a small office network. BTL also uses DHCP. The IP you see on your computer is not the one the oustide world sees.

Are you on Coral Cable? Your IP shows as 200.32.229.200

I
I
Yes, i'm on coral.

You're one of the admins i guess, so you see the IP addresses of the posters, of course...

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." - Douglas Adams
The Yahoo/Hotmail idea still may not work for you Simon. I believe if you look at the routing on a hotmail message, it still indicates the source IPas yours so your problem would not go away.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
S
S

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
klc, yahoo and hotmail aren't blocking only comcast. If you're talking about sending through Hotmail or Yahoo from Belize to comcast, the problem is the same unless you use an anonymizer.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Anyone in Belize can go to this site to see if they're blacklisted.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/is-my-ip-address-blacklisted

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
To Becky Harris (I can't respond by e-mail), from what I can tell you should be able to read your comcast e-mails online here in Belize but you may not be able to respond. From what I have read in various articles comcast is also blocking some of their clients outbound e-mails from blacklisted servers.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Changing Title of Existing Thread

Thanks Simon. Maybe I'll get a yahoo email account for the trip.
Becky

Simon - that was exactly my point.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
simon - i sent you an email on my g-mail account this morning - just to see what happens. did ya get it?

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I got it and replied. S...

Lessons of the day:

- Using MS Outlook or Outlook Express is generally easier and more convenient when you are at home (especially using a provider's email domain ie @comcast.net) Using these methods generally means you are connecting to a provider's mail server using POP3/IMAP for incoming and SMTP for outgoing.

- When you travel, this can become problematic for multiple reasons. 1) you are browsing from a blacklisted network (like large portions of BTL) 2) the ISP you are using does not allow you to send mail using a SMTP server outside of their network.

- Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail accounts are known as "web mail" services. You check them using a browser (like Firefox). They do NOT use any of the above nutty protocols - and are generally allowed at any computer in the world on any ISP.

- Gmail can even manage the email from multiple accounts (as can Yahoo). You can configure your webmail to check your comcast or BTL mail and read it from any computer in the world. Gmail can also TOTALLY manage your own custom domain like [email protected].

- BTL uses what is called a "NAT Pool" - Simon is correct that if you haven't specifically asked for anything otherwise - you are a BTL internet access customer in their pool - the internet sees hundreds of users as the same IP address. Spam filters only need to see one PC infecting and they shut down the address - affecting all of the users in the pool.

Bottom line is fighting spam (aka security) is making our lives harder. Using a webmail account can help resolve 95% of the issues. I love gmail - manage 5 different addresses using one screen. Outlook (and OE) are generally very buggy/sluggish and attached to a particular PC - PCs gets lost and your email is lost forever. Don't rely on a single PC, don't get blocked by spam filters - go to webmail.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So the solution, for those who wish to remain PC based (due to poor performance (and I just upgraded to 256)), is for BTL to purchase a larger block of IP adresses and allocate those adresses to every user?

I have a Yahoo Small Business account and I still experience problems responding even when I go online to make replies. I'm not sure that an online account is the solution. I don't know enough to know if online accounts hold headers that identify the source as coming from Belize.

simon - i got your reply on g-mail - but if you sent one earlier to my comcast addy, i never got it. just an fyi update.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the update, I figured there were no problems with gmail. I did respond to the comcast e-mail, the big issue is that there's no notification on this end that the e-mail didn't go through it just disappears.

J
JTM Offline
J
Simon, the header may be the problem. I had problems receiving email in my Comcast account from a Yahoo address that was associated with another island. The same person working from the same computer could get a message to me using her AOL account which she said was not associated with the island but with the US.

&nbsp Marty,
how is this a "sticky" topic?

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Because it potentially affects many visitors to Belize who are contacting resorts, tour operators and service providers without getting a response back. Hopefully this thread will let them know that they're not being ignored and that businesses are trying to respond. It also suggests the option of using a non-comcast account to send e-mails to Belize.

Potentially this is costing millions in lost business. Between myself and another individual there was a potential loss in the $20K range, multiply that by the number of businesses and it adds up.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Actually I tried to change the name of the thread to "Important Notice for Comcast Users" but the name reverted back to the old one.

J
J
I've got Comcast and was able to send to hotel, but wasn't getting a response, which I finally did after using a different email address. This thread was very helpful in helping me understand the issue as I thought it was me.

J
JTM Offline
J
A possible solution: I have been complaining as a Comcast customer who is not getting his emails. Today I was contacted by the Comcast national abuse team. They said that anyone in Belize having this problem (not sure how you are supposed to know)can call Comcast to fix it. The number to call is 856-317-7272 between 8:30AM and midnight eastern time Monday through Friday or 10AM to 7:00PM weekends. They asked me to send the information to people I know who are experiencing the problem. They said an alternative to calling is to submit the form available at comcastsupport.com/rbl

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I contacted COMCAST the information they provided was pretty much useless. They subscribe to Spamhaus who will unblock the IP address but then block it again within a few days. A quick check of http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/is-my-ip-address-blacklisted will show that more than a few anti-spam sites are blocking BTL.

The thing that really p.o's me is that everyone is saying business is down in Belize and I have to wonder if this isn't one of the reasons.

KC Offline
I'm coming into this conversation late, so if I am offering information that has already been covered, I apologize in advance.
I have a Comcast account, and have been aware for quite some time that I wasn't getting e-mails from Belize (in my Outlook express). The solution is to go to www.comcast.net , sign into your web-based e-mail, and all of the e-mails from Belize will be in the "screened mail" folder. I just check it a couple of times a day. I always use the web-based e-mail when I travel anywhere away from my home office.
I realize that this still doesn't help the businesses in Belize who are responding to potential customers who are not aware where to look for their screened mail. It is too bad that BTL is hurting tourism in this way.

KC

Last edited by KC; 03/02/08 10:19 PM.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
B
B
OK
enough with the ComCast already.
Suck it up and get on with your lives!!
Jeesh!!!!!

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thread has been dead for 2 months (until now.)

B
B
well then unstick it and let it go away?

I agree, unstick it. It's unsightly. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It may be unsightly and it may not be important to you but I'm sure it is to COMCAST users and businesses in Belize.

I've unstuck it for now.

Thanks Simon!! Things look prettier already. My best wishes to all the COMCAST users and businesses in Belize.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Still a problem, back to a sticky!

thanks Simon...

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Looks like Comcast is up to their old tricks again.

#300332 09/24/08 11:17 AM
S
S
I have a reservation in November for a condo through Eden Property and cannot reach them to know if final is confirmed. All money has been paid via charge cards, but no contact. I'm getting extremely concerned that I'm out of a condo, money and no place to stay when I arrive for vacation. Is there anyone in San Pedro that can help reach Michelle and Jorge or someone connected to Oasis del Caribe? If they are having an emergency or other- just to receive a message would be great that they are still in business etc.. Very frustrating from someone who only had a great experience in Belize prior and is encouraging others to go there!

Thanks for any help on the board or off list etc...

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I see you have a Comcast e-mail account. Try sending your e-mail from a yahoo or hotmail account. Comcast, yet again, is blocking e-mails coming through BTL.

Eden may have replied to you but their e-mail may never have reached you thanks to Comcast.

S
S
Thanks and will do! However, I've also called at least 3-4 times in the last month with no response. I'll try other email and appreciate the post!

A
A
Please call Jorge and Michelle at 011-501-670-1071

Sound Diver
I have just sent you a PM

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
I already left some messages on that phone number....

S
S
I just heard from Michelle by using a yahoo account vs. comcast. THANKS to all of you for your help and suggestions!

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'll merge this into the COMCAST thread later today just to keep everyone updated on the situation.

okay they have a new email address:
[email protected]
and the phone number is 625 5453

E
E
OK so let me get this straight. If I have a Comcast ISP address then I can only send emails to Belize via Yahoo or Google webmail?

I'm about to give up my current DSL ISP and Comcast is my cable provider. A quick recap would be appreciated.

Last edited by ExOkie; 11/24/08 09:52 PM.

God Bless The Reef!
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The problem with Comcast is intermittent. I had problems sending to a Comcast account last week but it had been fine a few weeks prior.

gmail is having problems getting through the BTL net too these days.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.