Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#267031 02/08/08 04:13 PM
B
bunk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Is this a good place to stay? Is the beach pretty good? How about the distance to San Pedro? Thank you!

bunk #267076 02/08/08 06:26 PM
Very good place to stay. I would recommend the upstairs rooms or suites. Staff are wonderful (Sherlynn, the bartender, is one of the hidden jewels of Belize), bar is super cool. Beach is lovely and pleasant for wading. Next door is Royal Palms pier, which has steps (kindly donated by a message board member) and the water there is just fantastic for swimming (be careful on Royal Palms beach as there is a lot of rebar hiding in the sand and seagrass - but at the end of the dock, the sea is lovely). Right next door is Banana Beach and their convenient and very good restaurant, El Divino. It is about a 20 - 30 minute walk to town along the beach, 10 minute bicycle and probably about the same by golf cart. The walk down the beach is lined with numerous bars and restaurants, so you'll never get too hungry or thirsty.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #267651 02/13/08 08:18 AM
S
S
It is very nice with the bar on the beach but the prices are a bit high. Right next door at Banana Beach the prices are a bit lower. But Mata Rocks is very nice and every time we visit we talk about staying there but the cheaper price next door prevents us.

SeeShell #267717 02/13/08 12:17 PM
B
bunk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you both. I am going there in May! I can't wait.

bunk #267738 02/13/08 01:54 PM
I should probably start a new thread here, but I fear my question is going to sound stupid or at least naive. Sea grass? I know what it is, but everyone always talks about it in a negative way, like, "you can swim there but they have sea grass" or "the beach is great, but there is a lot of sea grass". So, my question is, is there some inherent danger, or something we should know about the stuff? Last time down, we swam/waded, etc... and there was sea grass, it didn't seem to be a problem... the jellies on the other hand.... not sure ya wanna step on those guys.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
6string #267765 02/13/08 03:27 PM
The only thing bad about seagrass is to be careful where you stand. I have seen a few little sea urchins and other sharp creatures that like to hide in the grass. However, I have seen some very nice juvenile fish in sea grass before, so it's worthwhile if you are cautious. Have fun at Mata! Also, at El Divino's they have great coffee anf banana pancakes in the morning!

LoveH20 #267829 02/14/08 09:27 AM
IMHO this is one of the better places in its price range. Small, with a wonderful staff and the Owners are really great people also. The rooms are nice, the upstairs rooms have great views of the reef. The Down Stairs rooms have a nice view just not as nice.(in my opinion) There is a pool for those that want it and the Squirels Nest Bar is a wonderful place to hang out. Sherlynn and Chris (the two bar tenders) are at the very top of my nice people list! They also happen to make some "killer" drinks! Have been going there for 8 years and am going back in a little over a week.

The staff at Mata Rocks alwasy go out of their way to help.

The swimming is OK, there is some turtle grass as mentioned above but the water is quite shallow and you can go out a far ways with no problems.

Banana Beach is nice (and right next door) its larger and looses some of the "personal" feeling because of it. Don't misunderstand, their staff if very nice and attentive. I'm just the type that likes being a "small fish" in a "small pool" instead of a "larger pool"

Last edited by OlderandBetter; 02/14/08 09:30 AM.

Byron
The other bartender is Gris (as in Griselda) not Chris - and she is lovely too.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #267839 02/14/08 09:58 AM
Collyk is right. Me Bad!

Old and slow Gringo who three out of five times has to look at his drivers license to make sure I spell my name right!, but I do know that the name of the best beer I've ever had is Belikin!

Rumor has it that they have put an extra shift on in Ladyville to get ready for me next week. lol

Gee its nice to feel appreciated!

Byron
"you can swim there but they have sea grass"
Besides urchins,shells, broken coral or other sharp objects that can be hidden in sea grass areas IMO some people don't like how shallow the water can be until farther out, it is not their typical image of a beautiful beach with clear blue water and/or they don't like the feel/look of it.
I believe that areas of sea grass are important ecological biomes alive with a variety of sea-life. Doesn't bother me at all.
Belize it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.