Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: ] #267964
02/15/08 08:32 AM
02/15/08 08:32 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Well ........ four Segways were traveling up the beach yesterday. I approached them and said please use the road.
As much as I wanted to use the F-off approach, I erred on the side of calm and friendly, with a lot of pleading sighing and explaining that we'd really like to give the tourists a real beach where their kids can sit by the water's edge and play in peace. I said there is such a big difference between a beach and a road. I said that members of the neighborhood had gone to the personal expense of buildng and maintaining a road behind the lots to give vehicles a decent alternative route (incidentally the road in our area is really good).
I informed them of the ordinance about vehiecles on the beach. One of the riders made a sarcastic remark which I will not dignify by repeating here. Another rider, a gringo male, began to argue his case ---- he claims that he understands vehicle ordinances, but that "everywhere in the world we get Segway's exempted from the definition of a vehicle"........ and then annoucned that the Chamber of Commerce fully supports their beach tours. I shook my head and said look - you will get forcefull opposition from residents and businesses in this area and that is not fun for any of us - it will especially not be fun for your customers. He said surelyt here is a way to do this responsibly - I said - not on the beach there isn't, and walked away while he continued to mutter. The riders proceeded north along the beach. I did not see them return headed south.

I've read the Chamber Minutes each week and have not seen a single mention of an endorsement of Segway beach tours (could have been there and I forgot?)- but really, that is not the main point is it. The main point is how do we turn this island into a success story.

The quality of our beaches is one of our shortcomings - we can turn that around by picking up garbage, and by raking, and doing a little bit of volunteer grooming on adjacent vacant properties. We can do that by discouraging vehicles on the beach, we can do it - we can. There are some really beautiful stretches of beach along this island now, but if thes beautiful beaches are used as roads insteaad of parklike spaces where people cannot spread out a beach towel in peace, what is the point.

Suggest a passive resistance approach from beach establishments - no doubt the tourists on these vehicles will get thirsty and the tour operator figures he can stop at your resort or bar for a drink for his group. Well - the profit on five beers is not going to make up for lost revenues due to unhappy overnight guests on this island - period.
Suggest that establishments along the beach refuse service to people who abuse the beach by driving on it with golf cart, motorcycle or segway.

Also - suggest that those of us who live up island and who do not like vehicles on the beach should put our money where our mouths are - and keep the roads passable. Maybe even put some time and effort into making the roads a bit pretty. Tres Cocos has a lovely garden-lined roadway. Some of the other roads run along lagoons where the views are stunning, birding is great and it's a totally diffrernt and special island experience.
Let's do our part to make the roads someplace the travelers want to be - that would go a long way to taking the burden of "enforcement" off our shoulders. I ride a bike a lot. Beach riding is what I do where there is no road (or better said, no passable road) - I would far perfer to be on a road, as the soft sand is really difficult and somewhat dangerous. I think the hoards of workers who speed up the beach on bikes would rather go on a decent road too.
So anyway I am suggesting that without an attractive alternative we are going to be fighting a real uphill and possibly loosing, battle.
There are still some high-end homnes and resorts with large garbage pits along the roadside in the back of their property. It was the norm 15 years ago, but it's time that stopped too.
We should re-assess the big picture and make a concerted effort to make a clean, safe, beautiful beach and a clean, safe and comfortable road.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: Diane Campbell] #267971
02/15/08 08:52 AM
02/15/08 08:52 AM
San Pedro Belize
elbert Offline
elbert  Offline
I had them as well and noticed their tracks circling Ann's house.I spent the time I usually do my morning jog putting in posts and blocking the width of those Segways tires I want people /joggers and bicycles to be able to pass and don't want the neighborhood to look like your approaching an embassy with all the ugly barriers but whats the alternative. The Town board business licensing restriction is probably the best avenue from here.

White Sands Dive Shops Daily Blog
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/
Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: elbert] #267974
02/15/08 09:38 AM
02/15/08 09:38 AM
Virginia
Barbara K Offline
Barbara K  Offline
who is renting Segways? new business?

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: Barbara K] #267977
02/15/08 09:50 AM
02/15/08 09:50 AM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
yes there is a new business in town that rents segways.

I agree that there should be no wheeled traffic on the beach (except the designated road in Boca Del Rio.) This includes segways and bicycles.

If tourists are aware that it is unacceptable behaviour 99% of them will understand - but as Diane has pointed out, there must be a passable alternative.

In my neighbourhood we do our best to keep the road maintained and attractive.

Of course a segway is a vehicle. It has wheels and a motor. I think it is a nice novelty and again, most riders are respectful.

But I think the only way that segways will be banned from riding on the beach is if bicycles are too.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: Amanda Syme] #267978
02/15/08 10:05 AM
02/15/08 10:05 AM
Beautiful San Marcos, Texas
E
Ernie B Offline
Ernie B  Offline
E
I can understand bikes on the beach in town, I wouldnt ride the conjested streets with all the speeding taxis, trucks ect.

BTW, who rent the segs?

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.
Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: Ernie B] #267989
02/15/08 10:38 AM
02/15/08 10:38 AM
S
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
S
http://www.segwayofbelize.com/

"Segway of Belize and Empire Adventure provide the unique experience of riding a Segway PT on the beaches of the Caribbean Sea."

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: SimonB] #267992
02/15/08 11:00 AM
02/15/08 11:00 AM
San Pedro
B
Banana Beach Offline
Banana Beach  Offline
B
Hey Elbert,

Not trying to create a new law here- I think it is already law that all wheeled vehicles, including bicycles, are not allowed on the beach. If I am wrong, then yes we do need to create a new law.

Ernie,

Bicycles on the beach IMO are even more of a threat to pedestrians and people in general than traffic on the road. You need to witness 20, 30, 40 kamikazee construction workers crashing through, over or around anything and everything in their way when they are riding on the beach.

As for bicycles on the beach in town, this has been for some time the most popular method of transportation for drug peddlers and now it is fast becoming the popular form of snatch/grab the purse, nap sack, fanny pack etc. and go. If keeping bicycles off the beach was fully enforced our beaches would be much safer.

Personally I would take Segways on the beach over bicycles on the beach. But the real answer is for all of us to work together to keep all wheeled vehicles off the beach.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: Banana Beach] #267996
02/15/08 11:35 AM
02/15/08 11:35 AM
San Pedro Belize
elbert Offline
elbert  Offline
I'm sure its 'motorized vehicles' I called and checked ....sorry.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: elbert] #267997
02/15/08 11:38 AM
02/15/08 11:38 AM
San Pedro Belize
elbert Offline
elbert  Offline
Originally Posted by elbert
I just got off the phone with trarric dept.(AKA Transport Dept. San Pedro)
They say 'yes' against the law for motorized vehicles on beach and 'Yes' Segway two wheeled things are same difference , They advise a written report to the Town Council to report violation and then they can act on written report.
I belive a Sign on the beach is a good Idea but a nice friendly sign so It isn't read as 'unfriendly area' to the people walking the beach.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North [Re: elbert] #268009
02/15/08 01:14 PM
02/15/08 01:14 PM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Agree with Tim's overall sentiment.

Would like to insert a few more items for consideration ......

construction workers (and hotel employees etc. on bikes) are workers who need to get to work //
tourists tend to be people who do not have the same compelling need and as long as they are doing something fun it does not have to be ride on any vehicle at all

On this count I think we owe more to the people who really need to go someplace than to the people who roam around just for fun and who have real alternatives on where and how to have that fun.

I noticed a 75% drop in kamakazee bicyclists when the road behind us went in. For now it is a manageable road primarily because the vehicles on it are carts and bikes.

Unfortunately the streets of San Pedro are dangerous for cyclists, and the new cobbles make it worse. Cars can now go faster, and if you do fall down you hit cement instead of sand.
Last Saturday our foreman was on his bicycle on a street in San Pedro when a taxi pulled out from a parking place and ran him down - he hi the pavement and suffered a fractured skull. the taxi driver has a neck that does not turn ------- checking for oncoming traffic may not even be possible for him, but stil he is driving on our streets.

So ------ to make the beaches safe and comfortable we need to make the roads safe and comfortable, no?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,605
Posts486,384
Members19,806
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.