Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
My radical but (to me) sensible conclusion --------- get rid of cars and trucks as much as we can.

Check out two islands whose character and ambience are all about no-cars .......... both are touristic and both very successful.
Catalina Island, California
Mackinac Island, Michigan.

The lack of cars is a strong attraction for toursts in both locations.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Cycling along the new paved section of what I know I incorrectly call Coconut Drive between Banyan Bay and Banana Beach, I was recently passed by a motorbike doing (I estimate) at least 40mph. He was airborne over the humps. Maybe we just need a few more traffic cops patrolling on motorbikes (for speed and flexibility), and enforcement of the rules we already have.

I think Diane makes some excellent points. When we first visited Ambergris Caye we were charmed by the limited number of vehicles. Coming from London, it was just heavenly. Since we've been living here, under two years, the number of cars, trucks, SUVS and people who charge around at high speeds in these new, fast Polaris type vehicles have made the roads perilous. We almost cycle exclusively and fortunately got our cycling experience on the roads of London. We cycle defensively and take up as much as the road as we can, in an effort to stay safe and visible.

Before the road was paved and during the construction process, sometimes cycling the beach was the only viable means to get anywhere. Diane is quite correct - until the roads are safer, with much stricter speed controls and a reduction in permits given for fast and huge cars (wonder how much someone would still want an SUV if it had a speed limiter on it keeping it to the island speed limit), I think it is hugely unfair to try to stop people from using the beach. If I were a resort manager I would be advising my customers to only cycle on the beach right now. There are just too many idiots out there driving drunk, speeding or who just dont know how to drive.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
What is the island speed limit?

S
S
10 MPH in the village...15 MPH elsewhere

The motor cycles coming from Capricorn get up to 30 or more when they pass on the beach in front of my dive shop the speed limit must not apply on the beach.
One of their employees on a red one just went by in excess of that.
no lic.plate ,how does every one get away w/o plates?
there must be a sleeping policeman fo real at the bridge.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
weile Offline OP
OP Offline
I have spent 6K+ on the road behind my place. It is beyond irritating to me to see 10+ motorcycles a day and now also golf carts and the very annoying segway smart-asses the other day who couldn't care less about the ambience and safety of our beaches. If the town board would allow it (which I believe they won't), I would happliy pay the cost of barrieres on the beach on either side of our neighborhood, blocking all access for those unlicensed and uninsured motorcycles etc.

Just checked the list of members (that have paid so far) of the Chamber, between the very many private persons I noticed "Segway of Belize $250", so the gringo male might be right.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Another rider, a gringo male, began to argue his case ---- he claims that he understands vehicle ordinances, but that "everywhere in the world we get Segway's exempted from the definition of a vehicle"........ and then annoucned that the Chamber of Commerce fully supports their beach tours.

B
B
By the time Grand Caribe opens, bicycles won't be passing on the beach in this area. If anyone wishes to work with us please contact me. We will block our area of the beach even sooner than "opening" day if others in the area want.

I know that Mike Hancock does not want bicycles on the beach and I would imagine that the Yoga resort about to open would want bicycles off the beach too. Mike has had his grandchildren and other members of his family knocked down by bicyclists.

We have purchased a small pull type road grader and will do our best to maintain the road from GC to about Sweet Basil. Looking forward to support from the community in regards to fuel, repairs, etc.

The Chamber of Commerce seems to line up on the opposition side with me in a lot of issues, I keep forgetting they are for commerce... daaaa.
The concerns of the people that live here and the Environment always seem to take a back seat to commerce, I wonder how many people that are members are actually Belizean?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.