Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268027 02/15/08 02:27 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
today from the Chamber of Commerce...
Members brought up two incidents where bicyclers (tourists) traveling the wrong way on Middle Street severely injuring pedestrians. Also Members mentioned seeing several golfcarts going up the street the wrong way. Everyone discussed the lack of proper road signage, particularly for tourists. A Motion was made for Tom to contact our Town Council to check on their plans to replace the signs that were removed during the paving.

Marty #268052 02/15/08 05:22 PM
S
S
Police could make a fortune ticketing bikes going the wrong way (or seizing them.)

SimonB #268075 02/15/08 08:25 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Although there may be an offence of going the wrong way on a one-way street, surely the more significant offence here was reckless riding. For which they should be prosecuted, and should be required to pay damages according to the loss actually incurred.

Years ago in London I was involved in an accident with a pedestrian, who suddenly and with no warning ran across the road in front of my motorbike when I was just pulling to a halt at traffic lights. I was barely moving and didn't actually hit her, but my front wheel pinned the heel of her shoe to the ground at just the wrong instant as she was running and she hit the ground hard.

The accident was watched by a policeman as well as 20-odd witnesses, and all held me totally blameless. The woman was later charged with an offence, but I received an informal police warning - they said that no matter what actions actually caused the accident, the fact was that I was better placed to survive it and consequently bore a greater burden of care. They said that even had I been on a bicycle they would still have said that to me.

A cyclist must realise that they owe a pedestrian a duty of care, which (on the information published to date) these cyclists failed to deliver. Whether they are visitors or residents should be irrelevant.

I will confess that along with most other cyclists in town I don't observe the one-way signs, but especially when I know I may not be expected by other road users I ride slowly and with circumspection.

#268085 02/15/08 10:56 PM
We've been visiting AC since 1991 and traffic direction never seemed an issue until the "busy weekends." Of course, everything changes and has.

Now with more tourists and residents, even I am sometimes confused which roads are one-way. I do try to remember....

I think tourists, especially, don't realize that a bicycle in traffic is just as important as a golf cart (for instance)in San Pedro.

I hate the idea of more signage, but in this instance I believe it's a good idea. Not only for safety, but also because of the frustration the residents must suffer.

flip flop #268104 02/16/08 10:13 AM
flip flop, it has changed for sure i miss the days when it didn't matter if you stopped at the intersection , there just wasn't anyone else to run into.....snif.
I have noticed as of late, walking and bicycles in San Pedro Town proper move faster than congested traffic.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #268129 02/16/08 12:23 PM
In years gone by the golf cart rental agencies were required to inform their customers of the one way system and provide a map that showed the correct traffic flow. They were also cautioned against driving on the beach. Now that there are gas golf carts being rented the speed limit should also be explained to renters.

If an effort were made to encourage the golf cart agencies to resume such practices we won't see as many problems.

A small educational program - maybe via channel 7 on the tv and the newspapers might be effective to educate bike riders that traffic laws also pertain to bicycles. One way means one way. Speed limits are applicable, stop signs mean bikes have to stop too. Overtaking on the inside is not legal etc. etc.

Sounds like a job for the Ambergris Caye Chamber of Commerce.

That would be an excellent idea.

We were in San Pedro for the first time last week. I have to say, I had no idea which streets were one-way or what was legal for a couple of days. When we did rent a cart for a day, we weren't told of speed limits, parking or one-way streets. Growing pains are difficult, but additional signage and a simple cart rental list of rules and regulations are needed.

mikeywaz
Mikeywaz #268162 02/16/08 08:27 PM
How about which side of Front Street (oh, okay...Barrier Reef) to park on the 1st through the 14th, as opposed to the 15th through the 30-31st? Frankly, I don't even know if I got the dates right!

There's only a few signs that we noticed and if you're a tourist or new to the area, you can be in for a suprise with a ticket!

Yes, elbert - those were the days, my friend. Memories of chicken dogs outside of Big Daddy's at 2am and a taxi or two nearby....traffic was slow and power was "iffy."

Progress can be wonderful, though...remember when there was only ROCK'S to shop at?

flip flop #268210 02/17/08 03:32 PM
With something like 15 miles of road total and 30 miles of vehicles if they were all parked in a row, there is no easy solution to any traffic issues here.

A dream situation would be permits for golf carts only if you are in town, and Polaris, Gator, Mule etc. permits if you are located 2-3 miles+ from town (bad roads).

It seems that anyone can get a motorcycle license these days, and they are turning into a real problem as well.

Taxis could easily be 6-seater club carts with a small bed or a small trailer for tourists' suitcases etc.

Then make Front Street pedestrians only (deliveries allowed until Noon) and have Middle Street open for traffic south and Back Street open for traffic north.

Half of the old football field could be golf cart parking, and the town could charge $BZ 5.- for secure parking while people stroll the streets of a safe San Pedro without risking their lives.

Just thoughts. In a perfect world common sense would rule; and this would already be reality.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.