Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268410 02/19/08 03:01 PM
OP Offline
Heredia says a team from the Ministry of Lands and the Environment will be sent to San Pedro to meet with the individual developers. Chief Environmental Officer Ismael Fabro maintains they only closed 4 sites, two of which were given clearance this morning after their lawyers met with department personnel. He declined to tell us which sties were closed. DOE officials tell us that the sweeps are routine and that the projects were closed down because none of them have environmental clearance. As Minister Heredia mentioned, the projects have approval of the Ambergris Planning Authority but an environmental clearance is still required.

According to this article, 2 projects remain "shut down".

Does anyone know which 2 projects remain "shut down".

Facts people, not rumors or personal opinions PLEASE.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
"Facts people, not rumors or personal opinions..."
On a message board?????????

I tried to merge this topic with one of Bills post on the same subject but lost it in my clumsy merge ,...sorry bill.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I know one of the sites that is closed down - but the employees are still working on other sites. I suspect I know the other site that is closed, and again, the employees all have alternate work with their employer.

Teething pains with the change of government. It will all settle down.

OP Offline
Thanks for your input but the question was.... what sites are closed?

If you know them then please name them.

Thanks

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
E
ERT Offline
E
Here's what I know, which is not helpful except as a bit of background. I know this from an individual who accompanied one of the Environmental teams that was here (at the request of the team to give them directions). He was on a boat that went to 2 sites on the back side of Ambergris Caye and then to some little cayes to the west (I don't know exact locations). In the 2 sites here, they found dredging, clearing &/or mangrove cutting in progress. The Environmental team asked for a copy of the permit, which is supposed to be on the work site.

The workers had no permit, so these projects were not in compliance, at least to that extent. The workers were asked to stop until the Environmental team could track down the owners or contractors and look at their permits. Whether the permits for those sites were ultimately found to be in compliance or not I don't know.

Assuming proper permits, the sites would not have been shut down even temporarily had the permits been on site. Why the Environmental team tracked down the owners or contractors to look at the permits I also don't know. They should have stopped the work until the owners or contractors delivered a proper permit to them, if necessary, even after their return to Belmopan. Then the work should have been resumed only after the permit was properly posted on the work site. This team, however, pretty much "babied" the permit holders.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.