Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
suecate Offline OP
OP Offline
S
2 questions

1. is a 9 year old experienced snorkeler to young to do the whale shark tours or should we wait til next year when he is ceritified and we can all dive?

2. Recommendations for tour guides to show us other parts of the wildlife. someone who would be able to custom design a day for us?

Last edited by suecate; 02/19/08 11:09 AM.
JZB Offline
I think maybe you should ask these questions in the Stann Creek section. There are no whale shark tours in San Pedro.

S
suecate Offline OP
OP Offline
S
just looking for expert advise for the whale shark portion but staying in AC for the 2nd question. Thank you I will also post question in Stann creek.

Check with Seahorse Dive Shop in Placencia. They will know the practicalies and the legalities.

The whale sharks are in open sea - when I did my snorkeling with them the waves were 10 feet high and it was a bit scary until I got used to it. Of course not all days are rough, but note that earlier in the season it is said to be calmer than later (we went in June). It's also DEEP out there, and the average snorkeler is not used to seeing nothing below them, so it can be a little bit disorienting. And then there is the seasick factor ---- you may have a kid who can take it, but I'd tend to leave the little ones onshore for this particular adventure.
For the parents - GO DO IT - it is an incredible experience !!!

Have had wonderful custom designed tours with Daniel Nunez of Tanisha Tours. Try a ride all the way around the island - it's great.

S
suecate Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I emailed Daniel a couple of days ago and have not heard from him I do have comcast after reading the posts this maybe the problem.

Whale sharks are in Placencia from March to June, three days before and three days after the full moon.....so plan your trip dates accordingly!

Change your Latitude
P
P
......up to twelve days after the full moon, from memory.

SeaHorse Dive Shop are the founders of this trip and excellent. He books out quite a long way in advance so be organised. Do a search for their web site and it has tons of detail, and videos even. I've been down three different times, each time with them, and over the six days have seen them every day with Brian - when we got back most people had seen blue water. We were Diving which has a better strike ratio, but when you do find one they will come to the surface, so snorkelling is good too. To get the best chance of a sighting I booked two days running. The Last hour or two of daylight is the most productive time - if you get a choice - as I believe they give operators time slots now, but I presume that happens on site rather than when booking.

Nothing can prepare you for the awe of a forty foot fish brushing you as it swims by with an open mouth that a car would fit inside.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.