Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26850 09/15/00 10:07 PM
P
OP Offline
P
<font face="Arial Black">Transportation:</font> Continental Airlines from McAllen thru Houston to Belize International. $416.00 / person RT all taxes except $20 depature tax included. Tropic Air from BZE to San Pedro $84/ person RT. Rented a golf cart for 10 hrs. $40. Golf cart was not necessary since we stayed close to town. Continental and Tropic Air were excellent.

<font face="Arial Black">Lodging:</font>
The Palms. This place is great the people, location, landscaping, housekeeping etc... I could go on and on. I can think of nothing but positive things to say about The Palms and the folks who run the place... Thanks Artemio and Kelly.

<font face="Arial Black">Day Trips:</font>
Hustler Tours Caye Caulker Trip: John and Vince are excellent guides the Rum punch was killer. Highly recommended
Searious Adventure Trip to Altun Ha: Willie Leslie is an excellent and extremely knowledgable guide. Highly recommended
Pantojos Resort Course Scuba Instruction: This was the one excursion that we did not enjoy. There was a 30 min. class on the dock and no practice in a pool. Our introduction to actual scuba conditions was flipping backwards into the waters of Hol Chan marine reserve. Not a nice experience (inhaling saltwater) especially after it took me weeks to convince my wife to do this. This experience eliminated any chances that my wife will ever pursue scuba certification. I would not recommend this class to anyone who is new to scuba. It may be ok for someone with some experience. A definate thumbs down to the folks at Pantojos.....
Did a sunset / moonlight cruise with Capt. Gerardo on the El Gato. Nice quiet romantic cruise. Recommended
Tried to do a sunset cruise on the Rum Punch II but Capt. George had mechanical difficulties. Maybe next time....
Tarpon fishing with Nesto Gomez: This guy is incredible. "Eyes of a hawk". Although no fish were landed (my fault) Nesto put me within casting range of at least 50 fish!!!

<font face="Arial Black">Dining:</font>
1-5 star rating.. 5 star being best.
Island Cuisine across from Ramon's **
Ruby's ***
Canibals ***
Estel's ****
Maruba *****
Tropical Paridise on Caye Caulker ***
Capricorn *****
Vendors in Town Square ***1/2 really inexpensive
Dinner cooked in our condo by The Palms' Artemio Torres ***** This was really great!

<font face="Arial Black">Other activities:</font>Shopping in San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Bomba. Dancing at Ramon's (nice place), hanging out on the beach (not much of one), swimming off of Ramon's dock (much nice than Mar del Tumbo) and sleeping. Wife got a great massage at The Sunbreeze and got her hair braided in our condo.

<font face="Arial Black">Note:</font>
There is a beach replenishment project (dredging) in the works so the water directly behind The Palms and Ramon's is not very clear. If you want to get an insider's view of the locals of San Pedro, attend one of the church masses. Wide open churches cooled by the sea breeze with local dogs wandering in and out of the church undisturbed. Totally laid back and vintage San Pedro. San Pedro will become a yearly pilgramage for my family.

The weather was absolutely great. Rained only at night.
Mosquitos were only a problem on the last day when the wind completely died down. A little OFF did the trick...
For you folks getting a condo with fridge and cooking facilities, buy your food at Nancy's on Black Coral St. This is where most of the locals shop. The food is cheaper than any of the other supermarkets in town.

[This message has been edited by pescador (edited 09-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by pescador (edited 09-18-2000).]

"There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like a complete idiot." Wright
#26851 09/15/00 10:52 PM
D
D
Great trip summary. I noticed that you went to Altun Ha and Maruba. Did you happen to do the mud bath thing?

#26852 09/16/00 12:18 AM
Thank you for your report. I noticed ya went out with Gerardo on El Gato. It reminds me when my friend, Collin, owned El Gato. Collin, myself, and I believe two others were sailing to Half Moon Caye on a high sea. We were really being beaten up on that 29' Cat. Anyway, Collin decides to "stop off" at Turneff. When we got inside the reef, Collin told us that he didn't think we'd make it. "What do ya mean"? He lifted up the rudder, one was missing. Collin knew he should keep that information under his hat. Glad he did.

Gone fishing!!
#26853 09/16/00 03:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
nice report. glad ya had a good time. darn! i wish i had gotten to capricorn for dinner(hubby didnt wat to go)!

#26854 09/16/00 08:34 AM
Thanks for the report Pescador! And thanks very much for the vitamins!! Your a life saver!
It was great to meet you and your wife....glad you guys had a good time.
Sorry about the diving thing though. I will keep that in mind when recommending in the future. Never really heard any reports about their dive classes. I know my son used to spend lunch hours there talking to Patajo and he was gonna give my son lessons. Maybe a good thing he didn't, huh?

Well....we'll be looking forward to seeing you again!

Tammy

#26855 09/16/00 09:26 AM
Another Texan Pescador, giving a glowing report on Ambergris. Glad you enjoyed the Paradise. Too bad about Wife's scuba experience. Thanks for being so candid about all your info. Glad you took care of Sandshaker's vitamins for her. You sure did all the nice things, and got your wife's hair braided and her massage. You are a good husband.

Dare To Deviate
#26856 09/16/00 02:44 PM
P
OP Offline
P
dphil56,
We didn't have the opportunity to do the massage or mudbath at Maruba.

Sandshaker,
Your welcome and thanks for the Altun Ha recommendation with Searious. Willie is great. As for the bad scuba experience, Martin was our instructor not Pantojo. I've heard good things about Pantojo so maybe he would do a better job.

Chloe,
Thanks... It was input from you and others on this board that made this vacation a memorable one for my wife and I.

"There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like a complete idiot." Wright
#26857 09/16/00 04:12 PM
Pescador,

Sorry that your and your wife's scuba experience was unsatisfactory. While I've never tried the "resort course" type of scuba instruction, I have heard that there is very little actual instruction, but normally there is at least a short dip in the swimming pool before jumping in the ocean. Can't say that I am in favor of this kind of instruction. There is so much to learn and know about scuba diving safely. And SAFETY is the key word!

Otherwise, sounds like you had a marvelous time. We leave in 3 weeks. And glad to hear that mosquitos have calmed down. JaneinPa must have used so much high deet OFF that it killed every one of them critters on the island.

#26858 09/16/00 04:55 PM
The Guides are so use to their ocean, they forget about we that are intimidated with the vastness of the water, even tho it is not very deep in alot of the areas.
"Moms have told us forever, don't jump in the Ocean". Safety rule.

Dare To Deviate
#26859 09/16/00 10:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
dude, they were breeding faster than i could keep up with them. anyway, i watched steve (the divemaster at journeys end) give two people certifcations there; a woman newlywed and a male parapelegic. he was great with each of them (they were not together), and very professional. no skimping, very serious, but a great guy too. they were both very happy. no problems. the guy dove with my husband when they swam with dolphins at turneffe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.