Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26863 09/15/00 10:38 PM
D
OP Offline
D
do any of you arrive via bus from cancun or is this just a big hassel?

#26864 09/16/00 06:12 AM
BIG hassle. Try one of the online airfare sites. From OH there are only so many choices (American or Cont through Dallas or Houston). Depending on the time of season you can do well. We did August for $435 from a neighboring state.

#26865 09/16/00 06:10 PM
I disagree slightly with choochoo. We've done the bus from Cancun thing several times, and it certainly is CHEAP. You get what you pay for, the ride is interesting though. So, its a matter of perspective. If you're the kind of person that doesn't care if you have to schlep your suitcase on and off a bus in the pouring rain, then go for it! Its not bad, its not quick or luxurious either. Just makd sure you take the Premier Class (First Class) bus or the normal trip of 5 hours to Chetumal could take you 8 hrs. I've met some very interesting people on those trips.

--http://www.caribbean-colors.com

#26866 09/18/00 09:29 AM
Sounds like an adventure!!! Is the sight seeing worth the time?? I don't mind the ride, if it's interesting enough. No chickens and livestock on the bus is there? LOL.... You hear all these crazy stories.....
Debbie

#26867 09/18/00 09:53 AM
Silkpainter,
Appreciate your input. My true "spirit of adventure" got left behind sometime in the late 60's if you know what and where I mean. I might have the kids try this, particularly to further my program of not continuing to spoil the little s***s. Clue me in...now we are in Chetumal (sp) What now?

#26868 09/18/00 10:29 AM
some people love it...
//www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/quick.html#busses

I think its fun, if you aren't in a hurry! There are 2 different classes of transportation, express and regular service. The express ticket will cost about $15, U.S. The express service will take you about 5 hours to get to Chetumal, where you will change busses and the Batty Brothers bus can take you into Belize. Busses from Cancun leave about every hour, but I'm not sure what their nighttime schedule is. ADO is the most popular bus line. However, the first bus from Chetumal into Belize doesn't leave until 10 a.m. That ticket will cost only a few dollars. Make sure you exchange enough money in Cancun for the return trip because the bus terminal i Cehtumal only takes pesos, and if the exchange is closed you're at the mercy of the gift shop. You can take a flight from Corozal to Ambergis Caye, and not have to go all the way into Belize City. It will be a fete to get all these different company schedules working though. You might end up with a "layover" in Chetumal or Corozal. If you end up stuck in Chetumal overnight, we stayed at the Ucum, for $10 a night and a $3 cab ride. Clean and quiet, its around the corner from the more expensive Holiday Inn, and down the street from the Mayan Museum. We ate from the food carts also, with no problems. The flight from Corozal was $24 U.S., and it shaves about 3 hours off your travel time. If you go all the way into Belize City you can take a water taxi to San Pedro from the marine terminal for about $12.50 U.S. Not being familiar with the downtown Belize City area I would recommend taking a cab for $4, from the bus terminal to the Marine terminal. If you ever get stuck in Belize City and are looking for budget accomodations, try the Seaside Guest House. Its run by the Friends (a Quaker Organization), you can stay in a dorm-style room for $8 a night or have a private room for $12 (I think) a night. All rooms share the baths.

Buses depart out of Belize City for most of the major towns (Corozal, Orange Walk, San Ignacio, Belmopan, Dangriga, Punta Gorda) and border towns in Mexico and Guatemala.

Battys: (501) 02 74924
Novelos: (501) 02 77372
Venus: (501) 02 73354
Z-Line: (501) 05 22211 (operates out of Dangriga)
You can also get a taxi to drive you if you want to do a little sightseeing along the way. ..about a 7 hr drive straight thru ... not sure on the cost but probably 5 times that of the bus. You can also make your own arrangements on arrival with the licensed taxis which vary in standard from superb sedans to a vehicle that would not look out of place on a banger race track - after the race! Agree on the price before you depart and check whether they are quoting US or Belize dollars.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 09-18-2000).]

#26869 09/18/00 11:31 AM
Most of the buses from Cancun or Playa to Chetumal are very nice -- I think they are more comfortable than the flight down in a cramped cattleplane. You get a reserved seat, a couple of free videos, A/C, usually a clean restroom, and on some you get an attendent who serves drinks.

There's not much to see in Mexico, however, mostly traffic and road construction and flat land.

From Chetumal south, nearly all the buses are typical Belize buses -- recycled old American buses, school buses and the like -- but a couple are modern, air-conditioned, articulated buses.

The trip does take a full day coming and going, so if time is of the essence, this is not for you. But it can save a good bit of money, and especially if you have an interest in stopping for a few days in Mexico en route, then it's a good way to go.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#26870 09/18/00 12:13 PM
Sure sounds like fun. However, I'll just stick to what I've gotten comfortable with.

#26871 09/20/00 09:35 AM
D
D
Does anyone know anything about the Seaside Guesthouse in Belize City? Would you recommend it? Need some details, please.
Also, I need some details on what's involved in bringing a car into Belize, from the US and thru Mexico. Such as papers you need, taxes (Mexico and/or Belize), any other cost that you may have to pay when crossing border. How much is gas in Belize now?
Diesel?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 09-20-2000).]

#26872 09/20/00 10:48 AM
Oh gosh Marty, I was reading your description of how to take the bus from Cancun, and I had a sense of dejavu coming on!

O.K. to answer dreamer's question, yes you need a passport to enter Belize, but if you're a U.S. citizen, you don't need one to enter Mexico. To bring your car in though, there are so many variable on that, you might want to check out some trip reports/travelogues here and on the web board at www.bze.net for personal experiences on driving a car through Mexico to Belize, its not for the faint of heart. //www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/quick.html has detailed information on arriving via car, etc. If you're a U.S. or Canadian citizen, you won't need a visa, you'll get your tourist card when you enter Mexico & Belize. You can stay in Belize for up to 30 days on a tourist permit that you get stamped into your passport when you cross the border in to Belize. If you want to stay longer you can extend 30 days at a time.

I've stayed at the Seaside Guesthouse in Belize. Its a small, quiet, safe place that you will probably want to make reservations for. They only have 4 rooms, one room is a bunk room but the whole place only sleeps 16 people. You share a batchroom. Its sparsley furnished, but hey for $15 a night, you get what you pay for. I would recommend it to the budget travelor. As far as taxes go, you have to pay your entrance fee into Belize which is .....? $15 bz? I think, then there is a 3.75 conservation fee? If you stay at the Seaside, it is within waliking distance to the Marine Terminal, or for a $2 U.S. you can take a taxi just about anywhwere in the city.

To answer choochoo's comment about sending the kids on the bus, I think its a great idea. They will get to see how the rest of the world lives (and maybe appreciate all that their Dad has done for them), and stop bugging you to buy them that new Ford Expedition. LOL! I would recommend getting Emory King's Drive Guide 2000, because he gives a mile by mile description of where you are and what you're passing through.

--www.caribbean-colors.com

[This message has been edited by silkpainter (edited 09-20-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.