Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269665 02/29/08 02:33 AM
OP Offline
Hello all,

We're traveling to San Ignacio at the end of March and will be trying to catch quite a few tours during the week we're there. What I'd love to know is who would you tour through if you were visiting - or who have you toured with? I'd love to hear what other's have had fun doing as well. The only tour I think we might not be up for is the ATM cave because I'm a little scared of the water in the cave. Other than that we're game for anything and are hoping to find jungle zip lines, Tikal, local ruins like Xunantunich, river tubing, horseback riding and any other chances to see monkeys, crocodiles (especially at night!) and birds.
We have a budget of only about $300 for the entire week so we're watching what we spend but are prepared to spend some money for the right experience.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Rachel

C
C
You really dont need a tour to do Xunantunich...you can take the bus about 30 minutes with stops etc. Take the pull ferry accross the river and walk up the hill about 15 minutes to the entrance..the site has several museum like buildings that will explain the ruins history etc etc. After you can walk down the HWY back toward San Ignacio about 10 minutes and go to the Trek Stop, its a butterfly farm, I did not go for years as I thought butterfly farms would not interest me but I was wrong, it was very interesting...this would be a full and inexpensive day. Catch the bus back outside the Trek Stop, they run every 30 minutes.
The ATM tour is by far the BEST!!!! It has been documented in National Geographic. it is more than incredible,,the water should not be an issue the only time you have to deal with the water is when you enter the cave you have to wade across, other than that there is never any danger of getting wet. This tour is under discussion of being closed down as there are sooo..many Mayan artifacts, humane remains etc etc that the site over time is in danger of being deteriorated due to the amount of people going through,,it is a MUST SEE!!!!!!!

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
C
C
Me again..another inexpensive day would be to go to the Zoo, again I am not a Zoo person, I was here for 4 years before I tagged along with friends to The Zoo. Its a wonderful zoo..open air inclosure's not cages. Very clean..quite large..most all the animals are indigenous to Belize, they have a rehabilitation and release program,,again take the bus..just a note not to do bus tours on Sundays as the schedule is sketchy at best.

There is actually quite a bit of water in the ATM tour. You are swimming/wading on & off through most of it. Plus it runs aboiut $85 pp from SI so it would take a big chunk of your cash. $300 for the week will not get you many tours but there is a lot you can do on your own and if you travel by bus you can get around cheaply. Cahal Pech ruins are just on the outskirts of SI town and you can walk there. Che Chem Hah Cave is not too far and cheap entrance fee once you get there (not sure if you can bus there). You can rent canoes in SI town and canoe on the Macal or Mopan River. Take a bus toward the border & get off at the road to Clarissa Falls, walk down the road, have an excellent lunch and then you can hang by the river or rent tubes and float pretty inexpensively. The zip line is done from Jaguar Paw resort, near the zoo (you can get off the bus at the entrance road but it is a long walk in) and runs $55 pp. Tikal is probably out of your budget.
Where are you staying?

Dito on the ATM being the most fun adventure and yes lots of wading in water ..lots, but well worth it.

Last edited by elbert; 02/29/08 09:58 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
B
B
Cooper- You mentioned that the ATM cave tour may close. Any idea when that might happen, if it actually does? I am planning a trip for a group of 8 in June and we are all so excited about this tour in particular.

C
C
I would not worry about June...It was being discussed about a year ago...it was some talk going around by tour guides at Evas. There was or is a study being done. I am sure the talk would increase if anything really official had been decided. It makes sense that they would want to preserve the place.
The amount of water really depends on rain, We went in right before rainy season,,no rain for about 6 weeks..got wet going in but after hardly at all. I found the crawling through tunnels on your belly more difficult.

OP Offline
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I rechecked my budget and we have closer to $500 set aside. I hope that sounds a little more realistic because we're definitely planning on working Tikal in.
Does anyone have any names of tour operators they recommend? We're staying at the Aguada and hear that they do some great tours but I didn't want to miss a great tour guide or company out there.
Thanks again for the great ideas. I love the idea of exploring some on our own, minus the tour guides. Great way to save money and have our own adventures too!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.