Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BTL #269815
03/01/08 09:52 AM
03/01/08 09:52 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline OP
Diane Campbell  Offline OP
Saturday Morning - two phone lines are discovered to be dead (fixed-cel and microwave)
Using my cellular I call 119 to report the fault.
I am told it will be reported today and fixed "sometime next week".

For one week I have had to make most calls twice - first time it rings through but nobody can hear. Then I call again and get through. This is both frustrating and expensive (pay for two, get one ---). I have been told repeatedly by locals and by callers from abroad that it is very difficult to get through to our phones. We pay enough for them - Ashcroft makes ga-zillions on the company - as consumers it is time we made demands for better.

Phones are essential for human safety and for normal business ---they need to work 24-7.

FYI - after a bit of fussing around with the electronics, I managed to get the fixed-cel up and running again - so if you have the samne problem maybe this will help --- unplug hte phone jack and power source, let the box rest a minute and then plug back in. The look on front of box and you will find what looks like a tiny little light - you should be able to push it in and have it pop back out. that is a reset button. if you push in, let it pop out and then see a light come on, you will likely find that the phone works again.

So back to the main gripe - we cannot have phone-service be a 5-day a week utility.

Re: BTL [Re: Diane Campbell] #269936
03/02/08 12:10 PM
03/02/08 12:10 PM
San Pedro, AC
Caye Connect Offline
Caye Connect  Offline
I am not an expert on these phones, the fixed cell variety, but I have had very good experience with a customer at mile 14. They use the SMART product instead of BTL and have 4-5 phones working fine. They have the same hardware profile as the BTL fixed cell phones (antenna, receiver, standard phone), but work on the CDMA frequency rather than GSM and therefor work reliably at much great distances - just like SMART cell phones work better as you get travel further north.

Diane, You are not alone. I have heard from at least one other BTL fixed cell customer that services was unbearable in the last couple of weeks.

Alex

Re: BTL [Re: Caye Connect] #269970
03/02/08 06:10 PM
03/02/08 06:10 PM
North Ambergris Caye, Belize
Portofino Offline

Portofino  Offline
No problems with fixed cell here, but...

My wife is in Belgium at the moment, and she cannot call to our fixed cell number; the message is: "the number you have dialed is not in use". We daily get emails from our guests asking whether we still exist. It has cost us quite some business recently, although this problem already exists for years. Before though BTL was able to do something about it - although the fix usually only worked for a few weeks.

We have asked for another microwave-line from BTL (like our fax line - although that goes out about 3 times a week - and preferably on Friday evenings - that one can be reached from abroad), but they do not have the hardware. The solution Duran Harban from the yellow pages (BTL subdivision) had in mind was to list my cell number(!). He wants us to run a resort of a cell phone, and we don't even have coverage in the office!!

We have tested Smart, and yes, my wife is able to call it from Belgium, although the reception here is poorl we are working on that and will probably install a Smart antenna here on the property soon. We are also looking for more alternative solutions.

Oh, and yellow pages refused to list my (working) Smart number in my ads. When I wanted to cancel my ads, the answer was that only when I canceled my phone lines with BTL, the ads could also be canceled.

Talk about arrogance! Guess they'll be adding that ad money to my phone bills next year, and there will be nothing we can do about it, but pay.

Jan

Re: BTL [Re: Portofino] #270087
03/03/08 07:54 PM
03/03/08 07:54 PM
weile Offline
weile  Offline
My fixed cell works fine when calling out. Have received e-mails from people saying that they cannot call me.
BTL has been treating me OK lately, but it is still (as far as I know) the most worthless and expensive phone company in the world. Nothing to do with the staff that I have been dealing with. All very nice people. The owners suck.

Re: BTL [Re: weile] #270136
03/04/08 07:25 AM
03/04/08 07:25 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
I think we need to identify the practical problem (hardware, etc,.); and take this info to our Minister of Tourism, explaining the concrete alternative we prefer.

The GOB licenses this company to do business here - if we address this issue with intelligent pressure, I think we can make something happen. Just by comparing experiences here on the board I now know it's not just my phone - it is the wireless system. From cause to effect to solution.

I'll go rattle a few cages guys.
thanks for the info!

Re: BTL [Re: Diane Campbell] #270342
03/05/08 07:53 AM
03/05/08 07:53 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
I spoke with technicians at BTL yesterday, exlplaining the situation and informing them it was not just my phone, but that it was a situation affecting many users north of the land-line area. I was told that the system itself was at fault and that technicians spent much of the day yesterday working on both microwave and fixed-cellular systems.
They said the service should be ok now, but to monitor and report back. So ------ if ya'll with prior problems will keep in touch with me about how the phones work this week, I'll report in to the service guys and keep on them ......... sound ok?

Re: BTL [Re: Diane Campbell] #270585
03/06/08 01:05 PM
03/06/08 01:05 PM
weile Offline
weile  Offline
Works just fine for both incoming and outgoing right now. People can even call me from Skype software abroad.

Re: BTL [Re: weile] #270588
03/06/08 01:22 PM
03/06/08 01:22 PM
San Pedro AC Belize
Thanks for the report Ebbe - my phones are working fine now too.
Good to know this can be fixed - let's keep up on this and the minute a problem resurfaces I'll get after BTL.

Re: BTL [Re: Diane Campbell] #270598
03/06/08 03:48 PM
03/06/08 03:48 PM
North Ambergris Caye, Belize
Portofino Offline

Portofino  Offline
Well, just tried, and Sandra can't call us; the message is that the phone number is not in use. Just got this email from a potential guest:

To: info@portofinobelize.com
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 2:20 PM
Subject: May 22

Are you open? What is your phone number – we are trying to call and book, but the number on the website no longer works…

Re: BTL [Re: Portofino] #270608
03/06/08 05:43 PM
03/06/08 05:43 PM
S
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
S
Perfect, if they have a comcast e-mail adress they won't get your reply either. Love BTL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 277 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics67,577
Posts471,290
Members19,246
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.