Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269822 03/01/08 10:21 AM
OP Offline
I have been in Belize a little time now and so have the time to tell you all about my travels.I waited a week on Galveston, Texas waiting for someone to follow through Mexico and he was running late and so was encouraged by others to just go ahead on my own.
So, Tuesday morning I woke up and drove to Houston,Texas to pick up a tourist permit to travel though Mexico at the Mexican Consulate. After waiting for one hour I was told that the rule changed yesterday. I showed the guy my book for 2008 saying that I need to get the permit to travel through Mexico. he said, : the rule changed."
I started to drive to Brownville, Texas. I got there around 6:00pm and went to check into a Holiday inn. I try to use my Priority Club membership but was told they only have suites available so I could not sty there. I called the 800 number and they sent me one mile away and because I had so many points, I got a free suite with a jacuzzi.
Wednesday morning I go to the Mexican border and everyone told me to change US$500 into pesos. I got the car insurance and was in and out in about 18mins with no problem.
I was now heading south in Mexico towards Belize. My first night I made it 20 miles south of Tampico and spent that night at a hotel in Ozuluma in a hotel and with my meals and drinks the bill was less than US$24.
The first day I remember being stopped 6 or 7 times by the military but spoke no spanish and so was waved through with no problems.
The second Day, it was the most beautiful ride I have even had. The scenery was so beautiful. I have not seen anything like that before . On one side of the road all I could see was water, ocean, mountains. I had to stop to really look to see where the mountain and the sky started and stopped.This was all along route 180.
My second night, I stopped about 5 miles from Villahermosa at an Auto Hotel with air conditioned.With the food and drinks, the bill was about US$20.
I woke up early next morning and made it to Belize on Friday afternoon around 4:00pm. I ended up having to changed the rest of my pesos into Belize dollars which was about over BZ$550. I paid $5 to have my car sprayed from bugs. Going through the Belize immigration and custom took me less than 8mins.
My first night in Belize was in Corozal at Hotel Maya. This was my worst hotel. On the internet the price was US$21 and she ended up charging me US$34. I will not recommend this hotel.
My second night, I stayed again in Corozal at a guest house. The family there made me feel as part of their family. I was happy with the price and so stayed there for 3 nights. I then left and headed To the Cayo Dist stopping at the Zoo.I stayed at the Trek Stop there in San Ignacio for 3 days. This place is highly recommended. I then went looking for Dr. Rosita Arvigo a herbal doctor. I found her at Gingerlily Massage Studio. I was ready for a good massage there and it cost BZE$50. I went Eva's Restaurant at night to have dinner and Belikin beers.
I then traveled to Hopkins Village in the Stann Creek Dist. and stayed at Seagull's Nest Guesthouse and Cabana for 3 days. I then moved on to Placencia and stayed at Toadal Adventures for 4 days. i highly recommend Wendy's Restaurant Cafe and Bar in Placencia.
I moved up to Sittee River where I stayed in a cabin with hammocks on my balcony where I fished and caught 3.
Next I am heading out to Sarteneja before heading out to Caye Caulker. I just want everyone to know that I am having a great time.

PS While I was passing Maya Beach on my way from Placencia, I stopped in to meet Barnacle Bill. I do not know if it's the beers that I had before stopping there that made me not see the real Bill. I was expecting big old fat guy. But to my surprised the guy look so young and healthy and was extremely nice to me. I was so surprised. I will try to keep you posted about my adventures. I am here sitting in the PUP office here in Dangriga with Debbie who is very nice. And I met the former Mayor of the town, Mr. Cassian Nunez who was very nice.
I am off to drink a beer now. It's about time now.

Barnacle Bill... lmao!

Great and interesting trip report!! Thanks and KEEP IT GOIN'!!!

wow! impressive. what fun!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.