Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
We are planning to be moving to AC in early to late April, And we where wondering if there are any places we can obtain a parrot, or something of that sort. I would want to do it the ethical way, like from and breeder and not form someone that just takes them from the wild and stress out not only the birds they are selling but also the one the didn't capture. If anyone knows of someone could you please direct me towards them.
Thanks,
Cheryl

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
JZB Offline
Most parrots here are stolen from the nests and some of them are becoming endangered because of it. I would suggest trying to find someone who already has a parrot and no longer wants it. I'm sure there is a parrot somewhere here that needs rescuing.

I don't know of any breeders, someone else might. Maybe if someone started breeding the birds there would be no need to take them out of the wild.

Have you owned a parrot before?

S
S
Under the Belize Wildlife Act all parrots are considered protected species. As JZB says, better to find an unwanted one as any others have likely been taken from the wild (illegally.)

I've never heard of any breeders, if there were any they would probably have to be registered with Forestry or BAHA so you could try contacting them for advice.

frown People on the mainland cut down the trees that have the nest in order to get the chicks. frown
The survivors are sold frown
The growing tourist industry creates more demand and more trees with nests are cut frown
The birds quickly become scarce frown
Tourist visiting don't get to see many Parrots in the wild frown
Creatures that have the freedom to fly spend their lives in a little cage frown
Would you like my opinion?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
Perhaps a pet grackle would suit her?

OP Offline
Thanks for all the input if any one hears of someone want to get rid of a parrot please let me know so we can check it out. I definitely want to do it the right way. I believe we have traumatized enough wildlife that if i could help a bird in need I would feel much better about the whole situation.
Again thanks thank for the info and keep me in mind if anyone hears something.

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
Does anyone know if I can bring my parrot into Belize from the US when we permanently relocate? She's been with us for over 30 years. Probably has at least another 30 to go (yellow nape amazon - they can live to be 75 years old).

Jesse,
Grackels make great pets and you can teach them to do cute tricks. I hear they are clean birds and even make good watch birds, love children and are loyal pets for life. No import or export restrictions and can be purchased cheap. smile

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
You need to contact BAHA to find out the regulations. They are one of the few GOB agencies that answer emails.

S
S
According to the Wildlife Act, these birds are not protected, don't know that they would make good pets though:

Chachalaca
Crested Guan
Great Curassow
Black-throated Bobwhite
Blue-winged Teal
Lesser Scaup

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.