Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#270111 03/03/08 10:44 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi All,

I realize that AC is on a reef. So does that mean that the entire ocean floor is basically coral bottom? I guess what I am asking is aqua shoes necessary everywhere? I also keep noticing people talking about sea grass. Is that everywhere as well?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim.

This'll be my first time there, but from my experience at various other caribbean destinations, and an experienced diver, I recommend water shoes no matter where you destination is on an ocean.

Even on Mexico's nicest beaches, sharp shards of sea shells or coral can be found, or worse yet, urchins.

It's always better to be safe, than to be sorry.

Hey jim,
It dosn't mean that the whole ocean floor is covered with coral or sea grass for that matter. There are places that do have those types of bottoms. I have swam from shore and never had a problem. The Reef system is about a hundreds yards or so from the shore line and the turtle grass can be any where.But I do have to agree with Canuk-diver it is better to be safe than sorry, I always where them. Have a great trip and if you use your aqua shoes you are sure not to let your trip it get ruined from stepping on something sharp or posionis

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
AC is made of rock, not coral, though obviously there's a lot of coral around. Most of the seabed just off AC is sand (which may be largely coral sand, I don't know) and sea grass. I would never walk anywhere I couldn't see without shoes on, but locals do it all the time and rarely have injuries.

#270165 03/04/08 10:00 AM
I just got back from 11 days of walking & wading while fishing the shoreline around San Pedro. Aqua shoes are the way to go. Wore mine almost all of the time I was there. The sea grass is no problem, but there is a lot of coral and more than a few conchs buried in the sand. Litter can be a problem, too. There's no deposit on glass bottles (subject of another thread I'm going to bring up)!

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.
Just a note to ibbrian --- here in Belize there is a 25 cent deposit on almost all most soda and beer bottles.
The exceptions are Guinness and premium Belikin. Apparently the bottlers cannot re-use those bottles.

where do you return the bottles?

on Caye Caulker, return to any store that sells em. Never got any cash back...just more full bottles.

"But WHY's the rum gone?

www.wadethegringo.com
never got cash back? doesn't sound like much of a deposit.

He's referring to applying the return deposit to new purchases of beer. At the distributor in SP (I was buying it by the case) I paid 20 cents Bz per bottle and was credited when I returned the bottles (and $2 for the container) for a new one. We went through a few!

I've already told you more than I know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.